Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: Installing H3 HIDs (in H3C projectors)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Installing H3 HIDs (in H3C projectors)

I'm bored and thought I'd make a little write up on this so people dont get freaked out about hids when they see the horrible fun time people have with the newer h1 hid kits.

Ok to start, if you dont already know the 89-91 r32 projector lights take an h3c bulb and 92 and up take an h1 bulb. This will walk you through installing an H3 hid kit on an 89-91 style projector. To all of those people out there that have wondered...."will an h3 kit work with my h3c headlights?" the answer YES it will! And YES it will with NO CUTTING (well there is one cut but no wires!!!) OR MODING ANYTHING!!

Step 1: Remove your battery so you have better access to the back of the headlight(and so theres no power :wink.
    Step 2: Unplug the harness/plug from your h3c headlight bulb
    Step 3: take off the plastic nut and rubber boot. Now flip the wire clip to release the bulb and pull it out.
    Step 4: IF NEEDED make a slit on the rubber boot to get the hid pig tail through the back of the boot.
    Step 5: With the rubber boot on the hid pigtail, put your new H3 bulb in the holder...there should be a notch that will match up with the inside of the headlight so you know its in place. Then flip the wire clip over to lock the bulb in place. Push the rubber boot back onto the headlight housing and the put plastic nut back on.
    Step 6: Plug your pigtails into the ballast
    Step 7: Take the other wire harness and plug it into the ballast....take the 2 spade terminals and plug those into the stock headlight harness (that pluged into the stock bulb)....black to black....red to red. Mount the ballast and you are done with this side!!!
    Step 8: Repeat steps 2-7 on the other side. Now put the battery back in and flip on your lights! DONE!!

This should take you no more then 20 mins to complete and there were no modications needed beyond opening the rubber boots a little to pass the pigtails through. Any questions????
    They are few inovators, but many followers....

i've always wondered why my passenger side is a h1 and my driver side's a h3c.. now that i think of it, it could be possible that my passenger side headlight was replaced with a newer one by the previous owner :O

Comment

Do you use a 35w or 55w kit?
      BNR32- Sold
      1998 Evolution V

Comment

sorry so late.....forgot to subscibe to the thread....it was a 35w kit

Comment

I got h3c hid headlights and they are no way plug and play. they are supposed to plug into stock harness right?
          sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
          ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

The HID bulbs I got were no way/far from plug play. It was a while ago but I had to do some custom fabbing, sucked.
            BNR32- Sold
            1998 Evolution V

Comment

mine were super easy to install
              Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

I have 6000K and 3000K both 55W kits in N1 headlights...look sweet
                gtr garage queen...anybody seen my wallet?

Comment

Originally posted by RHDskyline View Post
                  I got h3c hid headlights and they are no way plug and play. they are supposed to plug into stock harness right?
                  guessing you figured it out by now but yes. HID harness goes to the ballast and then there should be another harness with a couple of spade connectors on the end, those connect to the stock nissan harness.

Quadracer111- what headlights do you have? the older style headlights with h3c bulbs should be plug and play.....very simple....the new r32 headlights had a different bulb with a holder adaptor thing (yes so technical lol)....those require some fab work.

Comment

Anyone here ever found a good kit for the H3C projectors?

I've bought 3 different kits from www.ddmtuning.com and always had lots of luck with ease of installation as well as life of product. I want to buy an H3 kit from them (since they do not list an H3C replacement) but not going to waste my time if installation ends up requiring a hack-job and a mess of splicing.

Sorry to bring back the dead on this thread but I need some HIDs in my life

Comment

The only thing you will need to figure out is the rubber dust boot behind the bulb. DdmTuning kits usually have that rubber plug with the wiring all together and I've never tried cutting the rubber boot to male that fit. Might be easier to cut apart the Ddm Tuning rubber part so that everything is separate. Lemme know if this made any sense lol besides that little step everything else should be plug and play.

Comment

Ok, sweet. Thx

Comment

Not sure what I didn't understand about this thread but I kept searching the internet for information about this and I found a GREAT writeup (no offense to OP) with pictures on how to accomplish this conversion.

Not as simple as plug and play according to that writeup but pretty close...

Comment

Originally posted by gymkhanaJOSH View Post
                            Not sure what I didn't understand about this thread but I kept searching the internet for information about this and I found a GREAT writeup (no offense to OP) with pictures on how to accomplish this conversion.

Not as simple as plug and play according to that writeup but pretty close...

It is AS SIMPLE in my experience. Well at least on the HID side of things, maybe its different on halogens. Also used the H3 HID kit instead of H3C kit, coz the latter is rare and hard to come by. Its doing great so far. But I did read somewhere that the H3C version will still perform better since its the same length as the OEM ones.

Comment

It is pretty simple and straight forward when u sit down and think about it. Woulda posted pictures but I originally did mine in the winter. Lol too cold for pix aha My set up is still going strong, no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X