Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Washing/Detailing Tips (Formerly: "Clay Bars")

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Washing/Detailing Tips (Formerly: "Clay Bars")

I clay barred my car today and what a difference! The body used to feel like fine sandpaper if I ran my hand along it, espeically the hood, roof and trunk. Now the whole car is smooth as silk, feels like a brand new car. Now it's ready for some spring wax.

I highly recommend everyone do this to their car. Our cars are pretty old,. so most of them need a good cleaning. It was really easy to use the clay bar, just make sure you put a lot of lubricant on the car. I got a small scuff on the trunk lid where I didn't have enough.

The kit only cost $20 and it took about 3 hours (wash, dry, clay bar, wash, dry)

Here's a pic although it's pretty bad and hard to see anything in terms of cleanliness.

• GTR-guy
    replied
    I tried Autoglym Wheel cleaner and Autoglym Hi-tech Wheel Brush on my set I Work Vs wheels I recently purchased off Yahoo auction. I'm super impressed with the results! It cleaned years of caked brake dust and road grime with very little effort! Good stuff,FYI!

Leave a comment:

• melissachequ
    replied
    Clay barring for the win!

This is my car after clay barring and waxing:

Leave a comment:

• Turismo
    replied
    here are some videos showing how the pros use the clay. don't be affraid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZRj509Ir8

Leave a comment:

• wtfmoses
    replied
    this works super well, its hard work but its really worth it in the end!

Leave a comment:

• mcnab
    replied
    If you're using soapy water as clay lube, make sure the soap you're using is a PROPER CAR SOAP, not something for your dirty dishes. Proper car soaps have lubricants and cleaners,where as dish soaps have degreasers.

Put a few caps fulls in a bottle, put in your water and shake it. Then spray the desired amount onto the panel and start claying.

You should be able to to just rinse off the car after. This is only if you're going to be following it up with a proper polish or glaze though (before your LSP)

Leave a comment:

• Daemos
    replied
    Originally posted by m3tal
    Eshine FTW! Oh and you can use sudsy water as a lubricant for the clay. No sense in wasting a $10 bottle of QD for lube
    Sudsy water? I'm assuming that's just water with soap in it?

it works as well as the spray stuff right?

That's awsome if soap + water can act as a lube for the clay. I guess you'd have to rinse it off again after though right?

Leave a comment:

• klys
    replied
    OT: Silvialude did I see your car at the nissan Julep meet today?

Leave a comment:

• CanadianGTR
    replied
    I'm going to rename this thread and sticky it in FAQ as a detailing/washing guide.

Leave a comment:

• m3tal
    replied
    Eshine FTW! Oh and you can use sudsy water as a lubricant for the clay. No sense in wasting a $10 bottle of QD for lube

Leave a comment:

• JZ
    replied
    OMG thats hawt!
    :shock:

Leave a comment:

• Daemos
    replied
    www.eshine.ca

check out the testimonials...you will never use zaino again

I buy all my stuff off eshine, cheaper than most other places I've been too.

Leave a comment:

• silvialude
    replied
    Originally posted by mcnab
    Zaino is awesome stuff! Expensive, but as you said it's quality stuff....Here's a hint on Zaino products though..

IF you want ONLY reflection, go with Zaino. Zaino doens't give off that nice "depth and luster" that other combo's will give off. Zaino is ALL reflection...It all depends what you (or in my case customer) want. Im not saying Zaino is bad at all, because even I love the stuff! Zaino has a reflection that no other sealent or carnuba can give..But you don't get the depth that other polishes / sealent gives.

Did you just use the Zaino clay kit? or the Full Zaino polishes and sealent???

Looks AWESOME!! You apply that by hand? or with a DA or Rotary?

Just a side note on your choice of towels.....I would avoid ANYTHING that's not a quality microfibre product. Also just because it says microfibre on it, doesn't mean it's quality stuff...

Here's a microscopic comparison of what your terry towels are doing to your paint surface....This is why I ONLY use quality microfiber towels for drying, polishing and QDing

Quality Microfibre on the Left
    100% Terry Towels on the right..
    Hi Mcnab... I bought the entire kit of claybar/polishes/sealants w/o the interior stuff. I did the entire thing by hand, without an orbital, cause I heard it uses up more polish and since the kit was expensive, I wanted to save as much as possible. Plus I'm an old fashion kind of guy...thinking that if I do everything by hand it will look better. hehe

Thanks for letting me know about the microfibre, I used 100% cotton made quality rags for buffing, but I was wondering about the microfibre if it was better or not...cause I used microfibre in the past. Zaino said to use 100% cotton rags, but I'll take your comment in consideration for next time.

Leave a comment:

• sidewazegtsr
    replied
    Well I know Mothers is one of the best company out there ( I have'nt used them though) for car polish products. I don't know if they sell that brand where you are though.

What ever you guys use for polishing or cleaning your cars, post them here for all to see, http://forums.gtrcanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=67718#67718

This way we can start having a list of good things to use on our cars.

I know I have to detail my car and hopefully the weather will co-operate with me when I'm ready to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Daryl @ RightDrive
    replied
    OK, so today I bought some polisher, it seems to be the right stuff. It's for polishing, shining and getting rie of swirls and small scratches.
    I can't read the instrucitons on how to apply it though. It came with a sponge and a bottle of the polishers.

How do I put this on?

Also, what is a good kind of wax? I went to the store today and I don't know any of the brands that they had. They don't have Zaino or any of the brands I'm familiar with. Is something with carnuba good? Also, is there a difference between the $20 wax and the $40 wax?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X