Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chomper
    replied
    I have a fairly new set installed and the coil pack harness was redone recently so I'm not worried about the age of the ignition system atm. Just want something that will hold up better under stress.

The r34 coils were one of the options I looked at but the cost is upwards of $400 CAD new iirc, whereas ls2 and r8 coils are about half the cost and give great results.

Leave a comment:

• cobrAA
    replied
    R34 coil also made 800 whp on a rb30 with no drama and still running strong. Problem is.. 20 yr old used coil.. brand new oem coil perform very well and plug-in setup.

Leave a comment:

• Chomper
    started a topic LS2 Truck Coils vs Audi R8 Red Top Coils

LS2 Truck Coils vs Audi R8 Red Top Coils

I'm looking at upgrading my ignition system to support my future hp goals and was wondering if anyone knows which would fare better in high hp applications? We all know how great the LS2/LS7 Truck Coils are but I'd like to know how the R8 coils stack up against them because I'd prefer a coil-on-plug setup over a coil-near-plug setup (fewer wires, less hassle, less cumbersome).

I've tried to find the answer to this for quite awhile but haven't found one with a clear explanation.

The LS2 coils have the benefit of being located away from the motor AND have a built in heatsink (awesome!), and would therefore run cooler than most (if not all) other setups but similar results can be had by removing the cover or creating breather vents (albeit these solutions would not be nearly as effective).

I recall reading somewhere that the max dwell on the LS2/LS7 coils was 5.0 ms and it appears that the R8 coils hold up at about the same dwell cycle. Each also have been said to be quite reliable in high output applications.

Does anyone on here run the audi coils? What are your experiences with them? Thanks in advance .

Here is the response I got from Vlad @ Eurocharged awhile back:

The main benefit of these ignition coils is that once you install them, you can remove your OEM ignior. These coils were tested on a 740whp RB30 we built and we never had any ignition problems while tuning or at the track. Also these coils are much better quality than the LS7 ones and cheaper to buy. They are available at any auto parts store for around then 40$ each. You will notice that your car runs much much smoother with this ignition system.

We charge 750$ which will include 6 coils and pre made harness for your rb26. We will also provide a pin out diagram so you will be able to wire it up by yourself . (roughly an hour to do)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Vlad.

Email #2:
    We never tested the max dwell time for these coils. Usually when we tune a Haltech system with these coils, we run them @ 5ms. We use BKR7E spark plugs pregapped to 0.9mm (0.036"). Never had any issues.

Thanks,
    Vlad.
    Last edited by Chomper; 03-30-2015, 02:47 AM.
Working...
X