Embarrasing noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrasing noises

I've had my 1990 GTR for 2 weeks now, and so far the only problems that i've had with it is a NASTY squeel when it starts up cold, and a LOUD clunking coming from the front of the car whenever the front wheel drive kicks in. I'm not as concerned with the squeel (embarassing as it is) as i am with the clunking. I think that it may be the front drive shaft, as you can only hear it when the AWD is on. Has this happend to anyone else, or do you know what the problem may be?

Check the Universal Joints for play, they maybe worn out.
    1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
    www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

As far as starting your car up and having it squeal, my guess is that its your alternator belt slipping.

Comment

Yeah the front drive shaft has a bit of play, so i think i might have to replace it (ouch). But how the hell do i tigten the alternator belt, isn't it self tentioning?

Comment

Originally posted by Assman1
          Yeah the front drive shaft has a bit of play, so i think i might have to replace it (ouch). But how the hell do i tigten the alternator belt, isn't it self tentioning?
          If it's slipping, it's probably worn out. Get a new one. :wink:
          Dan Hofman
          DnA Garage - the performance gene
          www.dnagarage.ca

Comment

Yeah the front drive shaft has a bit of play, so i think i might have to replace it (ouch).
            Unless the U-joints can not be remove from the shaft you should only need to replace the U-joints.
            1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
            www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Ya check your altenator belt , but its probably just loose... Well mine was anyway...

Comment

Towards the belt issue Canadian Tire has a product called "Belt Dressing"

Its in a red can put a little on the pully and the squeak will go away, DON'T SOAK the belt or else it will fly off.

Comment

Clunking noise

When you checked for play in your Drive shaft did you just pull it back and forth (same direction as it turns)? That won't really tell you much, all my cars that were rear wheel will move a bit like that. You almost have to remove the drive shaft to really inspect the ujoint but some people can tell right away. I could tell on the rustang cause over 110k/hr, it would start vibrating real bad. But maybe I'm wrong and you can tell it's wobbling. anyways the first sign is usually vibration due to "play" in the spider. As for the squeeling belt, there's a tensioning bolt and nut on the alternator mount (you'll see it if you remove the flexible pipe attacked to the intake plenum, it's under it). I had to do mine a little, just don't go nuts on it. should help with a temporary solution. Other than that, there's a slight possibility your pulley bearing may be getting old? Dunno other than that.
                  No build thread.
                  1991 nissan
                  El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Working...
                  X