Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent GTR Cooling Solution ?

What do you guys think of this setup ?

..order it a little TOO BIG (unless an exact size can be ordered), trim as required, weld 'mounts' to tanks or ends of Rad.....clamp-on/bolt as required as a PULLER System - VOILA!.

I kinda like this, but I will await your remarks.
    Allan

Seller's Complete Inventory for above product/sizes etc.
    eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.

This one seems about the closest and will only require a bit of 'triming' for my application:

SHROUD MEASURES 17 1/4" x 27 7/8" x 2 5/8"
    - Dual 12" Spal fans
    - Total AMP draw - 14 AMPS (combined)
    - Total CFM - 2400 CFM (combined)

Nice LOW Current Draw, Decent amount of Air Movement. Just need to see if I have 3" of motor-to-Rad clearance everywhere....otherwise, I will have to think about diagonally staggered 10's as opposed to side-by-side 12's.

Looks pretty decent for $250 + shipping me thinks.....unless I just get creative with a sheet of Tin and a couple of slimmer Fans

Comment

I'm no engineer, but it looks like the louvers could restrict air flow through radiator core.

If shroud had 4x fans with a gap between core, fan, maybe might work better.

The stock fan shroud uses a high pressure area to force air towards fan. It works the opposite way on a engine oilcooler or sidemount intercooler, where the high pressure area is infront to force air through the core.

Put it in a wind tunnel and see what I mean about the louvers.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

louvers

I would prefer to see no louvers at all. When the fans are running the only air movement should be through the core with no air leaks.

The only time you need the fans is when you are not moving. A running fan will actually restrict airflow through the core while you are moving. I found the best balance to be a full shroud with two fans, one always on with the engine and one on a temp switch when your motor gets hot enough. With only one fan running at normal operating temp you will still get good flow through the core while you are just driving along.

If you are not much of an A/C user I would also dump the pusher fan for the A/C as that is a huge flow blocker running or not. Those blades are HUGE and restrict flow for the rad in either state. With two pullers and a full shroud you won't need it anyway as there should be more than enough for the A/C. In Japan it's 100% humidity most of the time and 30deg for 10 (southern) months of the year so the pusher was added to cope with the almost constant use of the A/C. Not so much needed here.

Jon.
        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

You don't need an aftermarket radiator.

This coming from a friend. I helped him put a new N1 engine in it, with a lot of other ****.. 2860's and whatnot.

This car has been tracked, autoXed and driven hard. On the track at Mission (roadcourse) temps didn't get higher than 84 or something around there.

This is with the stock clutch fan and stock radiatior bled properly.

Before you go buy a cheap radiator/fan setup, bleed your system properly, make sure your fan shroud is not separated from the radiator, and you should have NO issues.

TROL

Comment

There was a 700hp Superlap GTR with stock radiator, but had a air separation tank to remove bubbles from the cooling system. Probably had other mods done to it like Nismo N1 waterpump, Nismo low temp thermostat, but can't confirm this.

But other track GTR's I know of have upgraded radiators. They have welded on end tanks instead of crimped on end tanks that the factory radiator has.

There is foam strips + tape that's used to seal around radiator core or sidemount intercooler core, engine oilcooler core. Removing aircon core, fan is good idea for a higher hp engine or track car.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I find with less than 5 consecutive minutes of "hard" use my oil temps are in the 110 range - any hotter than that is too hot for me.

I'd strongly consider getting an oil cooler and not just upgrading the rad.
              1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
              2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
              2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by falcon View Post
                You don't need an aftermarket radiator.

This coming from a friend. I helped him put a new N1 engine in it, with a lot of other ****.. 2860's and whatnot.

This car has been tracked, autoXed and driven hard. On the track at Mission (roadcourse) temps didn't get higher than 84 or something around there.

This is with the stock clutch fan and stock radiatior bled properly.

Before you go buy a cheap radiator/fan setup, bleed your system properly, make sure your fan shroud is not separated from the radiator, and you should have NO issues.
                The RAD is already in my car unfortunately. It's performance is quite interesting though, considering I can basically drive it around WITHOUT a fan (till I hit stand-still traffic that is) and the cooling in comparison to the OEM RAD is quite noticeable......like night and day.

I am now simply looking for a 'puller' Fan solution that will fit and thought that the link above was a decent looking setup and being that it's metal, can be easilly 'trimmed' and made to fit, as I have not seen a GTR specific Electric Fan solution sold yet.

In my opinion, the new RAD was well worth the money....and hassle.

Comment

Something like this might work -

RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

electric

Any electric fan is an improvement, believe me when I say that even the best functioning mechanical fan with a clutch will still rob a min. of 10hp from you. The faster you spin the motor the greater the theft, some fans will steal upwards of 50hp, I sh1t you not. Tossing the clutch fan will also make your water pump last twice as long.

Jon.
                    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
                      Any electric fan is an improvement, believe me when I say that even the best functioning mechanical fan with a clutch will still rob a min. of 10hp from you. The faster you spin the motor the greater the theft, some fans will steal upwards of 50hp, I sh1t you not. Tossing the clutch fan will also make your water pump last twice as long.

Jon.
                      I disagree, the stock fan and shroud will displace big cfm, more then most electric set ups for sure. And has around a 2hp draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
                        PWR is baller, almost as baller as a sard rad.

Either way the rad you choose depends heavily on what the primary functions of the car will be. Drag car needs will differ from circuit car needs regardless of horsepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post

Jon.
                          lol 10HP, 50HP? Where are you getting these numbers from? Have you any idea what a 50HP motor could turn? I doubt it would be 50HP even if the car was running underwater.

Expect to receive a 0.5-2hp gain...
                          2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
                          2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
                          2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
                          1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just buy it, it's cheap
                            No build thread.
                            1991 nissan
                            El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
                              EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just buy it, it's cheap
                              Are we back to this again ?.........

OK, maybe I'm not as cool because I chose to have many of my parts Drop Shipped to me from the manufacturers, using Ebay Sellers as middle men instead of paying the 'JDM Appreciation Tax' associated with more 'Regal' operations throughout the world (with the exception of that KNOCK-OFF Nissan Dealership I deal with in the 'States' that insists on selling Nisan and Nismo parts with only a 10% markup vs the typical 100%-200% markup found elsewhere)........

What can I say other than, rather than helping someone else make 6 mortgage payments, I decided to make those payments myself and FOR myself.

I have litterally saved thousands of dollars thus far (atleast 1/4 to 1/3 overall savings) and have NOT had to sacrifice anything in the process. Same sh1t, shipped from the same warehouses......just cheaper prices....that's all.....and I am NOT talking about spending all my money on Autobahn88 stuff either (although I like their stuff so far). Strickly speaking of all of my namebrand items - not knock-offs.

It seems that the World's JDM Market place is still some 'secret' 17th Century establishment that is kept under the radar by Ninjas with secret price points and the like with manditory inflated pricing to kick back to the Yakuza..........and if there is 1 thing that scares me, it's....well, it's actually SOCK PUPPETS mostly, but Ninjas are pretty scarry as well and come in a close second in the grand scheme of things.

It's like this:
                              I log into RHD Japan, check prices on something that I am interested in. I then check Greenline....who is always cheaper. I then browse Ebay to see what REALISTIC AND COMPETITIVE PRICING looks like across the spectrum, then I make my decision from there.

I also usually give everyone a FAIR opportunity to Price Match. Fortunately, since nearly everything is drop shipped from the Manufacturer anyways, why shouldn't I choose the cheapest means of getting my item ?

Competition is what fuels a Capitalist World - on EVERY LEVEL.

Also, my first priority is to feed myself. I will not lower myself to eating Kraft Dinner so that my friendly JDM sales rep can eat Prime Rib every night of the week.

How do you shop in your every day life ?
                              If Walmart, Zellers and The Bay all sell the same product for $500, but Costco sells it for $350.......are you going to go to say, Walmart ? because they have the friendliest smiling Greeter working the door ? or are you going to do the SMART THING and take your money to Costco ?

In the real world, using my examples of Retailers above (walmart, Bay etc.) - it doesn't get anymore "back-door, Grey Market, Non-Authorized Dealer Status" than Costco - so if you shop at Costco, are you essentially helping to bring down and ruin the competition ? or are you using your god given right to CHOOSE and choose smart ?

Unfortunately, some retailers find it more advantagous to turn a sale away rather than cutting their markup. This is quite evident in Drop Ship Sales because why would they have to SELL ? it's not like they have stock eating up their Operating Capitol right ? it's not like they have to move inventory ? right ?

Most Drop ship retailers have the ability to not only burry the Grey market, but remain competitive each and every day of the week.

Most Grey Market establishments are those that have purchased in BULK and on Clearence and are REQUIRED TO MOVE PRODUCT and reflect that in their pricing. They work on a 'numbers' game by way of QUANTITY.
                              Again, most Drop shippers work, well, only when they want and on their own pricing terms and are FAR FROM COMPETITIVE even at the best of times.

This works in reverse in venues such as Ebay, where Drop Ship sellers will make the sale at whatever the markup, as long as they are making something, because at the end of the day.....they didn't really have to do anything for the money anyways and they see it correctly. Unfortunately, some people still do not.

I am an Educated Person and am a fan of Darwin - Natural Selection and Adaptation all the way. 'Competition', of sorts, plays a huge role in all of this, as it should.

/end rant.

Comment

Working...
                              X