R35 Brake Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R35 Brake Conversion

I recently fitted a set of R35 front and rear brakes to my R32. I thought it might be useful to document with pictures what is involved. I posted a thread on GTR.co.uk, but will share it here also for those who would like to do this conversion or planning to do so.

Although there are some pictures of my recent R35 brake upgrade in the projects section, I thought I would do a detailed write up on what is involved in fitting this kit. One thing to bear in mind with this kit as the discs are 380mm front and rear at minimum you will need 18" wheels to clear the calipers more critical at the front. I am running 18x9.5 et30 Rota GTR wheels, but require a 5mm spacer to clear the wheel, with 10mm being ideal. better still if you have et 20 wheels in this range you should be.

Assuming you have bought a kit comprising of front and rear R35 calipers and discs, you will need the following items:

1. Front and rear caliper mounting brackets: You will need two for front and two for rear.

2. A steel ring bolted in to the std drum to accommodate the smaller hand brake shoe diameter of 172mm. 190mm for the R35.

I went with a 14mm front bolt setup as I had previously drilled the hub carrier to fit R34 Brembo calipers.

To fit the front brackets and due to the sheer size of them approx 10.5" in length, you will need to trim this mount (which is used for the bracket that holds the hard pipe brake line) as well as the shield/backing plate.

See below: (Excuse the scrappy line)

Fully trimmed:

Test fit of bracket which fits nicely in place.

The caliper also fits well.

Before mounting the disc, make sure the hub surface and inside of the disc that mounts on to the hub is clean and flat with no grit or rust to ensure once fitted the disc rotates true with minimal run out as specified by manufacturer. I also had my discs skimmed, these are an interim solution and will later for for either Alcon or AP replacements.

With the disc fitted on:

And the rear view of the caliper. You will be able to use your existing hard pipe and braided brake line.

So that is all that needs to be done to fit the fronts which is pretty straight forward with minimal cutting/trimming involved.

Fitting the rear was more of less the same as the fronts, with the lip that folds over on the brake disc shield needs cutting off. I will at some point take it right off so only the hand brake backing plate will remain.

Bracket fitted:

Showing the lip trimmed off.

Disc and caliper fitted

With 18x9.5 ET30 with 5mm spacers:

Last edited by FRRACER; 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM.
    Supertec Racing

R35 Brake Conversion

Awesome ! Do you have any pad overhang with this setup or it's all bang on? I'm doing a Evo9 front calipers and 350mm rotors on my R33 gtst and supposedly gonna have a 3mm overhang. Surprised to see you're still running stock flex hoses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 99_SI; 11-10-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

No pad overhang, they are in the correct position as with an R35. (ignore the picture of the rear, that stock rubber hose was off the R35 which I removed after the picture was taken lol. Still using std steel braided lines rear and hard pipe and braided lines up front. I am also using a BM57 which makes a huge difference over the std item and is a must have for any big brake conversion. Before these I had R34 brembos and did back to back testing using a BM57 master cylinder and the difference was huge. I will be designing a cooling solution for the current setup so to minimise as much as possible any brake fade when out on track.

What calipers does the Evo 9 use?
      Supertec Racing

Comment

Why are you getting 3mm overhang? That is a lot!
        Supertec Racing

Comment

Where did the calliper brackets come from?? A kit ??

Comment

I got them designed and made up. I can still supply a set if needed. Approx £800-850
            Supertec Racing

Comment

I don't think many people if anyone on here can fork out the $ for this set up. all in run you somewhere near 5K?
              1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Nice conversation. please post picture with the car !
                Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Nice brakes. Time to fix and clean your ugly rusty arms, bushes and knuckles now lol
                  Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                  Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                  Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                  Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                  Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                  White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                  lol

Comment

that's a sick man how much did the whole setup set you back?

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Will be taking the sub frames off and getting them powder coated when I receive the complete Ikeya Formula arms/rods setup.

No, you would be surprised, lot less than what it would have cost to buy Alcon, AP and possibly StopTec - the total cost was £2400.

In the UK the R35 complete setup goes for between £1200-1500 so it is a very good value for money. I know the R35 GTR owners seem to think the Brembo calipers are rubbish, but I would disagree with them, the calipers are in fact underrated, because when people buy alcon they think they are getting motorsport calipers, but Alcon do two kits, the regular calipers as supplied in the super kit (dark grey calipers are no better than the R35 Brembos, I was talking to an ex Alcon/AP engineer who rates the Brembos very highly) However their motorsport spec which are also nickle plated ones are the better ones to go for)

I do think that the discs are not that great, more so on a 1800kg R35, but at some point I will upgrade them to AP or PF etc.

Once I have got around to cleaning the car I will post some pictures

How they fit behind a set of Rotas:

Last edited by FRRACER; 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM.
                      Supertec Racing

Comment

Nismo also offer the same kit as an upgrade, somewhere near £10,000.

Supertec Racing

Comment

Only negatives about the powder coating is the cost and the chips that can't be repaired. If your paint gets chipped or scratched, that's it. Spray bomb can be touched up.

I know because I did this and the chips that orrcured when installing brutal spherical bearings all over caused some slips and scratched my rattle canned parts got touched up. The powder coating is as is now...

But wait, r35 brakes, ikeya suspension, coated subframes and then going rota....? Wtf!
                          Last edited by Bruizer; 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM.
                          No build thread.
                          1991 nissan
                          El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Rota will be for track use with slicks. I can understand peoples points about Rota, but honestly they have survived 8 years on some of London's crappy roads with more potholes and craters than the moon, so they will be just fine on track.

I cannot justify spending almost £3000 on a set of forged wheels right now. If I could, I would go mad and buy a set of BBS REmg for around £4500.
                            Supertec Racing

Comment

Evo 9 uses a Brembo front calipers with 2x40mm and 2x46mm pistons. Also the kit I opted for utiliZes 350x32mm brake rotor off Evo 10. Here's the link to their website. http://www.ao-ps.com/brakes.php
                              Some pics of fitment. . Running Rota Grid 18x9.5 to clear the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X