Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some performance questions

Hello, im new here, and i would like to ask some questions

i got a 1990 gts-t type m , and I'm planning to upgrade to something like 300whp, but with a safe setup, nothing that gives you a check engine after each run :P

actually i got :

apex'i air intake
    3inches exhaust system
    apex'i boost controller (can reach 29 psi, but 29 = no use for me)
    fmic

i was thinking about upgrading fuel system (fuel pump, injectors) and maybe a rb25 turbo, or something bigger, but I'm looking for a good reliable setup, no budget for now, because I don't know when I will start to level up the beast

so, if you have anything to say that could help me, post it;-)

There is already a thread on pretty much your exact question with LOTS of useful posts. Thread was made by 89baysideblue, search it up.

But in short without searching, first things first. Free up the potential boost on your stock turbo by adding a downpipe and a test pipe. Only then start thinking about fuel management.

Comment

okok, ill seek for the thread, but actually, my downpipe is already on 3'' and by test pipe, what do you mean? if I'm right, that's a straight pipe replacement for the catalytic converter, but I don't know this part, sry for noob question

Comment

yupp, the test pipe is just a straight pipe that bolts in place of your cat. You can pick one up anywhere from $75-$150
        “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Exactly, the stock fuel system should be sufficient for boosting on the stock turbo except for possibly the fuel pump. (12lbs) Don't worry about upping the size of the injectors until you have upped the boost with a different turbo, the stock ones should be able to deliver enough fuel. And don't bother running anymore boost until your replace the head gasket and head studs.

1) build your engine for boost
          2) boost

Comment

hehe, thx alot, I was thinking about upgrading studs and getting metal hg if I run something more agressive. I'll gather some money first, because i have some work to do on my winterbeater, but ill keep you updated if i do any mods!

Comment

Stock fuel system, stock ECU tuning can handle a slight turbo upgrade, like a HKS 25/30 turbo or similar size turbo, as well as intake, exhaust mods (12psi).

One person has pushed the stock 259cc injectors to around 380hp at 100% duty cycle with 1.1bar of boost from HKS 25/30 turbo. This was achieved by using a bigger fuelpump, adjustable FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)intercooler, retuned stock ECU. The proper way is to install bigger injectors, as you don't want injectors above 85% duty cycle for long periods (like on a racetrack), as they could overheat and fail.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

If i'm going for a turbo upgrade, i would put some goodies on fuel system (fuel pump, injectors, dunno about fuel management unit i don't really know these), I was thinking about working on internals, but thats not the same prices.

I have another question, I would like to know if splitfire coilpacks makes big difference?

Comment

Fuel management is essential in a build. Don't bother boosting your car if you have no interest in a tune and fuel management. Get in touch with the local shops that offer tunes in your area and see which system they are best compatible and capable of tuning. Go with either a Power FC(Apexi), or an E-Manage Ultimate with Profec-B(Greddy).

Splitfire coil packs are great if the budget will allow them, however I wouldn't put ANY priority on them with your build. Guys are able to run 1000hp on the stock nissan coil packs, and for a 400hp build I don't think they would prove to be very beneficial at all, when the money could be spent elsewhere.

Comment

yr need bigger injectors 440cc...re-mappable ecu....hybrid turbo...afm will max out at around 340hp, so really change it....in england i know a guy that can re-chip yr ecu to achieve that sort of power and all yr do is plug it in, all he needs is to know yr mods and he can set a base map to accomodate it, my old rb20 made 392fwp, but i used a gtr injector rail and 440cc injectors (with a resistor pack) and a gtr fuel pump
                    skylineowners.com

Comment

yeah

man im starting to like UK got to love that fish and chips out there.lol.first Ill tell you this.Dont trust forums for they will sometimes create fear,the best thing to do is search,some times its best to learn it your self.remember he just wants 300whp,
                      ECU I dont know about that one(you always want more horsepower)
                      I would gather some money and go with the best and cheap Apexi.
                      also a O2 sensor wouldnt harm
                      to achive that power you have done good opening the exhaust.
                      I dont know about the stock ECU but if it can handle the 300whp goal
                      if it can handle a walbro and a FPR and z32 maf.if you can read a O2 sensor gauge then you can monitor your AF your self and if you got the money change that fcking turbo man all of them are a peace of sht..
                      I think all you have to do is turn a little bit up the boost.replacing the gasket and the head studs will lead you to oil pump, crank collar,pistons,ruds ect.and dont fall for that N1 water pump sht.i strongly advice some serious thought.your good for 300hp all day.if you finally decide to go for a build.think about every detail,pros and cons.theres alot of guys here that can help you outand some that just say what the others have told them with out cheking it out for them selfs,oh.....dont go crazzy buying the first thing you see man.check all options and check your wallet.your cars are awsome the way there are man.building motors aint cheap man,then you always want more and more.lol.you know its just natural
                      You Love Japan and Japan hates you.Fck JDM

Comment

Working...
                      X