Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodly
    replied
    I went with TurboSmarts Kompact series plumb back, rated for a ridiculous amount of boost and I don't draw attention, like a 4 min install.

Leave a comment:

• Supraclean
    replied
    If your ok with your car stalling at lights( not all cars do but some will depending on how you drive/ your idle) then not its not. I personally had to let my tune know that I had a bov so he could adjust my ilde aswell as I am still playing around with my IACV valve located on the rear of the plenum.

Leave a comment:

• needavdub
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkCaporaL View Post
    You answered your own question, well sort of.

The MAF mesures the air that comes in in order to mesure the proper AFR. When the BOV releases, it releases air that has already been mesured in by the MAF. Releasing it to atmosphere only makes this mesured air exit the system without being mesured or telling the system that this air has left. Less air = richer mixture, since the system is expecting X amount but is actually receiving less air then expected.

The whole idea behind recirc is that it keeps this mesured air in the system at all times, by recirculating it after the MAF (since it has already been mesured).

Hope this makes sense.
    Ok, that makes sense after you explained it. Is it safe to assume that this isn't a huge problem though? There's a awfully lot of GTR's rolling around with BOV's.

Leave a comment:

• Ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Skym View Post
    Recirculated Synapse BOV, 0 backfires. Way better than modified or stock BOV with acceleration when going from boost to offboost and then back to boost again. Installed using Synapse boost connect kit, etc and 0 problems so far (nearly 1 year).

This Synapse BOV -

If I had the choice at the time, I would have got this version of Synapse BOV with better flange design -

http://synapseengineering.pinnacleca...ent-571-0.html
    Yeah Tial has some like that as well... wish i had known about them as well. I am considering buying one still, but have a few things i NEED to do still before i get back to wants... grr.

Leave a comment:

• DarkCaporaL
    replied
    You answered your own question, well sort of.

The MAF mesures the air that comes in in order to mesure the proper AFR. When the BOV releases, it releases air that has already been mesured in by the MAF. Releasing it to atmosphere only makes this mesured air exit the system without being mesured or telling the system that this air has left. Less air = richer mixture, since the system is expecting X amount but is actually receiving less air then expected.

The whole idea behind recirc is that it keeps this mesured air in the system at all times, by recirculating it after the MAF (since it has already been mesured).

Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by DarkCaporaL; 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• needavdub
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkCaporaL View Post
    Blocking off the recirc piping and blowing off to atmosphere creates a massive air leak in a MAF system, which the ECU doesn't know about, so it makes the engine run rich every time it blows off = no no.
    I'm not too knowledgeable on this with Skylines, but I don't see how that would create a rich condition. Even when it's recirc'd it's plumbed in after the MAF, so it's unmetered to begin with. I know that's the case (rich at shifts) with Subaru's and many other newer cars, but I don't really see how a BOV could cause a rich condition with the Skyline's engine management. I could be wrong though.

Leave a comment:

• DarkCaporaL
    replied
    Blocking off the recirc piping and blowing off to atmosphere creates a massive air leak in a MAF system, which the ECU doesn't know about, so it makes the engine run rich every time it blows off = no no.

Leave a comment:

• Tairance
    replied
    Originally posted by quadracer111 View Post
    Just take out the factory one, plug off the recirculating hose, and install the aftermarket one.

The car might stall when you are driving and shift into neutral (say if you are coming to a stop light), and it might idle rough.
    I decided to cheap out on a BOV and just unhooked and blocked the recirc hose. I was having terrible idle and stalling all the time. I quickly hooked everything back up. I just bought a blitz bov. Is this going to happen when I install it too? What was the reason?

Leave a comment:

• Skym
    replied
    Recirculated Synapse BOV, 0 backfires. Way better than modified or stock BOV with acceleration when going from boost to offboost and then back to boost again. Installed using Synapse boost connect kit, etc and 0 problems so far (nearly 1 year).

This Synapse BOV -

If I had the choice at the time, I would have got this version of Synapse BOV with better flange design -

Leave a comment:

• flipridah17
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghost View Post
    TIAL BoV here, runs/ idles awesome... odd backfire .50 cal shot as i like to call em. Took a bit to adjust the spring to proper tension, and yeah you can either remove the recirc hose and plug it where it meets back to the intake or leave it on and plug off right next to it. My buddy used a pop bottle cap no joke, lol!
    haha i did the same on mine! Mighty Car mods style! lol you got so many colors to choose from..

Leave a comment:

• Voodoo_ChildR32
    replied
    Cool, thanks guys! Can't wait to hear what this thing sounds like.

Leave a comment:

• Ghost
    replied
    TIAL BoV here, runs/ idles awesome... odd backfire .50 cal shot as i like to call em. Took a bit to adjust the spring to proper tension, and yeah you can either remove the recirc hose and plug it where it meets back to the intake or leave it on and plug off right next to it. My buddy used a pop bottle cap no joke, lol!

Leave a comment:

• flipridah17
    replied
    I got Blitz DD BOV on mine.. Idles great, sounds great and gas mileage is still the same.

(Mind you I have it on stock boost and the setting for my BOV is set to stock as well)

Leave a comment:

• quadracer111
    replied
    Just take out the factory one, plug off the recirculating hose, and install the aftermarket one.

The car might stall when you are driving and shift into neutral (say if you are coming to a stop light), and it might idle rough.

Leave a comment:

• Voodoo_ChildR32
    started a topic Aftermarket bov

Aftermarket bov

Just wondering if I still need to leave the factory BOV in place or can I just block it off and use an atmospheric BOV in it's place. I got a Turbosmart vee port BOV with the car and would like to use it. This is on an RB20 btw.
Working...
X