Motorland Suzuka Race Day - pics and vids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorland Suzuka Race Day - pics and vids

On May 8, 2009 TunerLab was invited by one of our associate shops (Seltz) to join in their race day at Motorland Suzuka (not part of Suzuka Circuit, but in Suzuka City). This day was held for Seltz's customers to race their cars and to promote racing.
    The day started pretty bad, it had been raining for 2 days straight, and the early morning on May 8 was also overcast and looking like rain. Luckily around 9am the sun came out and started drying out the track.

Only 8 people other than myself showed up for the event, so we were lucky to be able to run all day without any traffic.
    We traded 30 minute sessions with the drift group all day, so 30 minutes grip, 30 minutes drift from 9am-5pm. So I drove in 7 sessions, for a total of 133 laps. I ended 3rd out of 5 cars, with almost all of our best times all within 1 second of each other.

In my group there were 5 cars, EK4 Civic hatch back with DC2 Type R engine (full race spec car), turbo charged EK9 Civic Type R, 2009 FD2 Civic Type R, Mazda Roadster.
    In the drift group there were 2 cars, crazy orange AE86, and an automatic Toyota Mark II. The AE86 was trailered in, and was the typical hardcore Japanese drift machine. Crooked headlights, bumper attached with a few zip ties improperly aligned and nearly falling off, a slew of Watanabe and Speed Star wheels ready to go. The AE86 was driven by 2 guys all day, and incidents included the exhaust system falling off twice (was only held on with coat hangers), a spin and crash into the wall requiring a quick bumper repair consisting of well-placed kicks, 4 blown tires, and the final straw, a water pump blowing up.
    The Mark II was pretty amazing too, it was automatic, and basically unmodded. The driver drifted the crap out of it all day, much respect to him.

This track was really hard to drive in a GT-R, it was small, technical and not well suited to higher power cars. The Hondas loved it as it was well suited to quick repsonse, light cars. Regardless, I managed to eat pretty much all the cars except the EK4, as it was full race spec set up for this particular circuit. I drove 133 laps, and completely abused my car, but had a great time. Most of the track was driven in 2nd gear, with 2 points requiring 3rd gear for a few seconds.

All in all, another great track day with great people to race with!

Pics:

Coming off the back hairpin

Back straight

S-Turn

Roadster in the S-Turn

Civic Type-R in the S-Turn

The group in the paddocks (I'm in the background)

the "Rs"

Waiting to go out for the first session

AE86 drifting, in every picture I took of this guy drifting he is smiling!!

The group (yep that was most of us!)

Turbo EK9 Type R

Out of the hairpin

Chasing a Roadster

The paddocks

Taking a breather in the pits

Me heading out, Roadster checking tire pressures

Type-R on the front straight

In the pits

The "Rs"

Who says you can't drift an automatic 4 door??!!

ready for the first session

getting ready to go out for a session

sandwiched between civics

in the s-turn

AE86 trailered after blowing it's water pump

ready to go home
    RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
    http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
    1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Vids

Some vids of the event:

Me on the backstaight
    Racing down the back straight at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. I am driving the gunmetal BNR32 Skyline GT-R. Brought to you by Tu...

Through the S-turn
    Racingthrough the S-Turn at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. I am driving the gunmetal BNR32 Skyline GT-R. Brought to you by Tunerla...

back straight again
    Racing down the back straight at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. I am driving the gunmetal BNR32 Skyline GT-R. Brought to you by Tu...

back straight again

leaving the pits
    Leaving the pits at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. I am driving the gunmetal BNR32 Skyline GT-R. Brought to you by Tunerlab.jp.

AE86 drifting the s-turn
    Drifting the S-Turn at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. Brought to you by Tunerlab.jp.

Who says you can't drift a 4 door automatic?!
    Drifting an automatic Toyota Mark II at the S-Turn at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. Brought to you by Tunerlab.jp.

Drifting an automatic Toyota Mark II at the S-Turn at Motorland Suzuka, in Suzuka City, Japan on May 8, 2009. Brought to you by Tunerlab.jp.
    http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com

Comment

wow another fun day for you lucky guy!
      what kind of power is your gtr putting down just out of curiosity?

I signed up for my first track day here in Mission Bc on pretty small course simliar to that one. Im stoked to bring out the gtr
      Originally posted by Oakville
      that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

are those r34 rims? they look SICKKKKKKK on the gunmetal GTR i am jelous of how much fun u always seem to be having lol. hopefully next time u will get a bigger croud.

Comment

why do you have to put sticker on headlight?
          Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

so if it shatters the glass dosent go all over the track.

TROL

Comment

Originally posted by doublejceballos

I signed up for my first track day here in Mission Bc on pretty small course simliar to that one. Im stoked to bring out the gtr

whats the date.. I would like to see that.
              Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Very nice pictures. Looks like you had lots of fun over there
                I love that BOV on your Skyline is it stock BOV btw?

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
                  June 1st Its a monday....
                  im stooooked
                  Originally posted by Oakville
                  that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
                    June 1. It's a Monday... it may be fully booked already though. I will find out for you and let you know.

TROL

Comment

lol every time you make a new thread of a track day, someone always comments on your rims and asks why people put tape over the lights

set some records for us!

oh and, how difficult is it to assimilate into Japan when you only speak English?

Comment

Originally posted by doublejceballos

I think the GTR is putting down around 425hp. I dynoed it at about 390hp with improperly adjusted actuators (and one was bent). I will be getting it dynoed again soon to find out the real output.

Congrats on signing up for your first track day! It's a pure blast, and a great chance to drive your car as it was supposed to be. I took my wife to this event, because I wanted her to understand what I do (she was freaking out the entire time I was at Suzuka Circuit without her, as she does not understand the safety of the situation). She loved it and enjoyed hanging out with all the other car otakus and has a new appreciation and love for the scene!
                        Best of luck for you at Mission, have a great time!

Originally posted by rak123
                        are those r34 rims? they look SICKKKKKKK on the gunmetal GTR i am jelous of how much fun u always seem to be having lol. hopefully next time u will get a bigger croud.
                        Yes, they are BNR34 rims.
                        no more people, it was awesome being there with only a few people no traffic to deal with!

Originally posted by Sanderman
                        Very nice pictures. Looks like you had lots of fun over there
                        I love that BOV on your Skyline is it stock BOV btw?
                        Thanks! They are the stock recircs, no aftermarket BOVs.

Originally posted by raijin-xiii

lol every time you make a new thread of a track day, someone always comments on your rims and asks why people put tape over the lights
                        set some records for us!

oh and, how difficult is it to assimilate into Japan when you only speak English?
                        lol, that is true, but I guess it is not common in Canada to tape headlights, so I don't mind people asking.

When I first came to Japan I didn't speak a word of Japanese, so it was difficult. I now speak Japanese so it's much easier to get along. Japanese people are surprisingly friendly and outgoing, and they love to chat. So I have no problems at all being part of Japanese society, or part of the business world in Japan. I wouldn't have such a deep reach into the aftermarket part industry in Japan without a firm grasp of the Japanese language.

Comment

Working...
                        X