1990 BNR32 from the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 BNR32 from the USA

Just imported this 1990 BNR32 through Adam @ Feast Auto, had a 1989 GTST which I sold a few months ago: http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-proj...d-planned.html

Mods that came on the car: Apexi intakes, HKS I/C piping, RS-R GT-Mag exhaust, front pipe, Greddy Grex oil cooler/filter relocation, Section Rm-1 coilovers, front tension rods, swar bars, shock tower bars, Bride Brix seats and BBS V-Spec wheels (w/ 20mm spacers).

Fresh off the transport truck that picked it up in Tacoma:

Finally home in my garage!!

Right after first wash:

Went to a long time friend last night to have a catalytic converter installed so I can pass emission, we cut it into the front pipe that came on the car which had a small exhaust leak right at the connection to the single pipe. Probably get something else down the road:

I have a tune scheduled for September 2nd, will be using Haltech. So trying to be easier on her till then

Main issue right now is the 4wd, light is on the dash but the Attesa controller is not showing any codes, fluid is full, tire pressure are all the same...I think next is to start checking wiring.

Cool project. Are you looking at the right controller for a light?
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
      Cool project. Are you looking at the right controller for a light?
      Thank man!
      And yes I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the right controller light haha, there are two boxes mounted under the rear deck in the trunk. It's on the left and has a little round window with the LED under it in the corner of the box, sound right?

Comment

Nice tig welds. Did he purge it as well, looks like a hose sticking in the one end.

Comment

Originally posted by SFitter View Post
          Nice tig welds. Did he purge it as well, looks like a hose sticking in the one end.
          Yes he did

Comment

Couple little updates, got an alignment done, car was pulling a little which was probably from shipping. Also got my old interior bits installed from my old car: Nardi Steering wheel, shift boot & e-brake boot and Nismo shift know. Had the 2 DIN Japanese radio removed and just put a 1 DIN Pioneer in, still waiting on my 1 DIN gauge panel to show up. Have brake rotors on order, already have new pads, then have a new Blitz EBC to install since you can't read the display on the one that came in the car and a Greddy boost gauge. All which should go in next week!!

Comment

Few more updates, first I got a set of stock amber corner lights, wasn't a huge fan of the smoked ones I had...would probably look good if I had the clear lenses on my headlights.

Next up did new rotors(DBA) and brake pads(Hawk HPS) all the way around as the ones that were on my car were pretty beat!

Stripped and repainted the wiper blades, looks much better now!

I dropped the car off Sunday at my tuner, so they are putting in the Haltech ECU today and tuning tomorrow!! Looking forward to really being able to drive the car and not be worried about hurting the motor.
              Still trying to figure out the 4wd...did figure out my pump works, well turns on atleast when you manual connect power at the relay in the trunk. Still some disconnection somewhere as the pump doesn't prime when you disconnect-connect the plug under the drivers kick panel.

Comment

Tuned the car last week on Haltech, results were a little disappointing...only made 210 hp on 10 lbs(I told him to run 12 lbs. but didn't turn it up for whatever reason). He said the motor is just tired, I'm wondering about the turbos too. So hopefully do a compression test this week to get an idea where the motor is at. Otherwise the car runs really good, feels and sounds much smoother on the new ECU.

Comment

It's not always about being a tired engine. May be a leak or something.

I recall putting down 302whp on -5 turbos at 14psi. Tuner said it was a tired engine. Compression was above 165 on all cylinders, no leaks (leak down was below 4% or something) but the afr at wot was low 10:1 on 94.

Who knows. Ended up rebuilding it in 2010 anyway.never really ran since haha.
                  No build thread.
                  1991 nissan
                  El terror

Comment

It's not a boost leak, tested that and I know it's not AFR as it's been tuned using a wideband and have a wideband connected to the ECU.

Yours never ran after rebuilding it?!

Comment

I got to work on the car most of the day yesterday which was nice, replaced torn/leaking front CV boots and steering rack boots, plus cleaned everything around those areas due to the leaky boots.

Also did a compression test to see where the engine is at…and like I thought it was low which explains why I didn't make much power when I tuned. 1. 100 2. 115 3. 115 4. 115 5. 110 6. 110
                      Valve covers are leaking a little too, little bit of oil down by the spark plugs but none in the spark plugs. So….now faced with the choice of the best road to take, rebuild this engine or maybe find another one thats already been rebuilt??

Comment

Throw some new rings in it and slap it back together. Don't take on someone else's work or lack there of
                        “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
                          Throw some new rings in it and slap it back together. Don't take on someone else's work or lack there of
                          I was talking with someone about it today and they said the same thing, I've never really had to rebuild a motor before…so still learning.

Comment

All good. You'll have lots of opportunities to get better at rebuilds. Rebuilds are a leading cause of gtr failures.
                            No build thread.
                            1991 nissan
                            El terror

Comment

maybe the engine has been rebuilt with a larger head gasket and you have a lower compression motor... I just did my comp test and i run around 100-110 on all cylinders... the positive thing about your numbers is at least they are basically within 10% of each other... so unless your getting lots of blowby or burning lots of oil then I'd leave it alone till it pops... unless of course ur sitting on lotsa cash and have a shop or money to have a shop re and re the motor and rebuild it over the winter then...

Comment

Working...
                              X