Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R32 GTR Rear Suspension Question

What up all,

I am in the process of replacing the rear lower control arms for my R32 GTR and I had a few questions.

Info:

Replacing old control arm with new OEM control arm, no aftermarket parts.

First thing, It seemed a really difficult piece to replace, simply for the fact that there wasn't much clearance to get the ball joint that connects to the hub tightened properly.

After this though, something didn't seem right. I got the nut on to the ball joint and started using my spanner to slowly tighten it bit by bit. But it went further down onto the threading than the old one ever was. Even getting it tightened so much further, it still never tightened properly and the thread started to rotate with the nut. Also, the thread is now up so far that it makes contact with the rear axle. Both left and right sides did the same thing. Also, after tightening the nuts as much as possible, the hub seemed to have too much play for new ball joints and could rock in and out.

Has anyone had this issue before, or know what it is or what to do about it?

quite possibly the wrong control arm. There are a number of chassis that share an almost identical rear suspension.
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

I hope not! I bought the control arms from right drive parts and I haven't had a problem with wrong parts from them before. Can anyone confirm the right part number for the lowewr control arms? The number on my new ones are 55501-60U25 for the right and 55502-60U25 for the left. A quick search on the net says these are correct but a couple sources to be sure is always better

Comment

there is a collar on the old a-arms that needs to be swapped over to the new arm it slides over the balljoint tapered part... also to stop the threads from turning place a jack under the balljoint or a-arm and push it up till there is weight on the balljoint then the threads will stop turning and you'll be able to torque the nut

Comment

Sh*t. Like an idiot I already threw away my old arms. But thanks for the advice curtis...this makes alot of sense. Can these collars be found on any other nissans? I know of some non GTR R32s around that I maybe could find the collar on. Depending on how the collar looks, could I fabricate one?

Comment

I have no idea if you can get them from another make of car... good luck bud I learned the hard way myself to keep everything old until everything new is installed then you know for sure you didnt need something or other off the old parts...

Keep on truckin Doug

Comment

Checked out an r32 gtst....no dice. Their recieving end for the ball joint is way smaller than the GTR...no collar. I have no clue why I threw the arms out...I still have broken axles that I've been keeping. I usually don't throw away anything. I feel like such a dunce lol. The moonface rollcenter adjusters can't be installed without the collars either.

I guess it's time to see if anyone on here has the collars and are willing to let go of them.

Thanks again for the help curtis.

Comment

Working...
              X