Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing an oil catchcan on your Skyline, the legal way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an oil catchcan on your Skyline, the legal way.

Super Duper Dreaded Fist Catchcan Setup

What: How to set up a catchcan properly and legally (prevents harmful emissions going into the atmoshpere)

Why: Prevents oil from coating intake system. Oil reduces the octane rating of the fuel.

How: See picture + steps.

Above is a legal catchcan setup, that does not vent oil to the atmosphere. It also doesn't allow oil to coat the inside of your intake system. Pictured is an RB20, difference between the 20/25 and 26 is the location of the pcv and te location of the breather fittings on the valve covers.

You want some kind of suction in the can, or else it won't be doing much. To achieve this, we hook it up to the intake pipe after the filter and MAF. Depicted in the catchcan at the lower right is steel wool, which is held in a stocking. This seperates the oil from the air, allowing air to pass through, but not oil. The little wave at the bottom is, you guessed it, oil.

If you have a catchcan that has nothing in it, it's not doing anything. If you have an empty can plumbed back into the intake pipe, oil is still being sucked into the intake. The steel wool inside of the can prevents this (some oil will still probably get through, just not as much).

By recirculating the gases back into the system, you are still legal, as nothing is being vented to the atmosphere. By preventing the oil from being sucked back into the system, you are no longer shooting oil into the intake system. Depending on blowby levels in your engine, you may never find oil pooled in the bottom of the catchcan, or, if your engine is nearly dead, it might fill up quickly.

Since we're all about remaining legal and friendly to the enviornment, we make sure that the oil in the catchcan is properly disposed of at the appropriate locations (read: not in the storm drain).

Leave the PCV system alone with this setup.

If you disagree with this setup, you may tell me what an idiot I am.

That is the shittiest drawing I have ever seen. The intake looks like a ****.

Comment

It's on, bro. Next wednesday night we're throwing down oldschool.

Comment

I think some catch cans come baffled already so you dont have to put in steel wool or what ever. Good write up anyways.
        Last edited by NeptuneGTR; 03-20-2011, 12:10 PM.
        NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

pic doesn't work do you have another one?

Comment

Working...
          X