DIY Speedo Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Speedo Cable

So I seen that there were a few people that had there speedometer cable break up on them, but there was no write. So here it is.

The first part is to remove the kick panel, the steering column surround and the dash surround.
    The second part is to remove the old speedo cable and put in the new one.

This first part of removing the dash was not created by myself, (nor are the pictures mine) it was given to me an fellow member of GTRC and the original thread is no longer up. So a special thanks to the creator of the removing dash thread!

Tools Needed

All you need to remove the dash is 2 phillips screwdrivers. One stubby and one long handled phillips for the recessed screws. For the speedo cable I used a stubby ratchet with a phillips bit attached. And adjustable wrench to remove the cable from the transmission.

Make sure you have a couple of containers in order to hold all the screws from the different stages.

It helps if you have another pair of hands it will help when you are feeding the cable into the dash.

Overview

You have to remove a few interior parts in order to get at the guage cluster. Those parts are (in order):

-Drivers side kick panel
    -Steering column surround (2 parts)
    -Dash Surround
    -Guage Cluster
    -Remove old speedo cable
    -install new

Removing the kick panel

1st step is to remove the kick panel so that we can get proper access to the steering column surround. Heres a shot of the kick panel with the locations of the screws to remove the panel.

Bust out the philllips screwdriver and start removing the screws. The 2 closest to the hood release cable actually attach the kick panel and hold the release cable in place. Once you remove all the screws the panel should come out pretty easily. There may be a clip holding it in place so if it doesn't come out right away make sure to check for clips and any wiring that may be attached to the kick.

Removing the steering column surround

The reason we remove the 2 pieces that cover the steering column us that it makes it MUCH easier to remove the dash surround piece Its only held in by a few screws and takes only a few seconds to remove. This picture is a shot from below (you'll need to turn your head to the left to properly orientate the shot, or point your feet towards the passenger door) Make sure you remember how the surrounds are clipped together.

Now that you have removed both pieces, you can now easily remove the dash surround now.

Removing the dash surround

Take note of the screw locations in the picture. There are 2 screws on the top of the shroud that go up into the dash, there are 2 on each corner, one on the bottom right and 2 on the bottom left. See picture and notes located below.

Note: Be very very careful not to yank as there are clips behind the dash surround that are clipped into your hazard lights. FM tuner, headlights, wiper switch etc. If your cars has an electric spoiler make sure you unclip it as well as the clip for your digital clock. All you have to do is pinch and pull the connectors out.

Here is part of the back of the dash surround showing the clips locations.

Removing the gauge cluster

The guage cluster is only held in by 4 phillips screws. Unscrew these and the guage cluster will pop out. Before you yank it out, you'll have to remove the connectors that are on the back of the cluster. Refer to pic below.

Ignore the red circles those are the bulb locations for the cluster.

Now that you have the guage cluster taken out you can see a round metallic fitting with a stick in the middle. This is the Beginning of the speedometre cable.

Slide the speedo cable to the left to unhook it from its locked position in the dash. The cable is mounted to the outside of the firewall and is connected by 3 phillips screws. These were hard for me too get at, so I used a stubby ratchet with a phillips bit and got at the connector from the bottom of the car. The picture below shows where the cable is screwed into the firewall. The picture is taken from the top.

One of the screws is gone in the picture because I had already took it out before taking the pic.

You can then push the cable toward the front of your car and down. It will go through a plastic shaft and out the firewall. This pic shows the top of the cable just about to go through the firewall.

The plastic shaft is just above the cable

Once the top of the cable is through the firewall, get back underneath the car and follow the cable back to the transmission. The cable will be clipped in 3 spots on the way to the transmission. Simply move the cable out of these clips. Once you get to the transmission you'll see exactly where the cable plugs in.

Use your adjustable wrench on the back of the cable sleeve to loosen it from the transmission.

This is the cable connecting into the transmission.

Once the cable is unconnected from the transmission, slide the entire cable to the front of the car and up through the engine bay. I found this to be the quickest way to get the old cable out of the car, as well as putting the new one in.

Slide the new cable down through the engine bay (this is where another set of hands comes in handy), making sure the cable will go in all 3 clips and not rub on any of the other cable down below. Slide the top of the cable in through the firewall, up through the plastic shaft until in reaches the dash. Slide it in to the right until the cable is firmly secure. Clip the cable in on the bottom of your car and re-attach the cable end to the transmission. Screw in the 3 screws to the firewall.

Pay attention that the end of the cable is properly alligned when going into the transmission

Your cable is now installed. Now all you have to is install the dash surrounds.

Hope this helps.
    '91 Black GTS-T

Excellent write up! Happy to hear you have that fixed. I was starting to wonder if you'd call or not lol.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

Haha yeah man had a spare day off work and decided just to go for it. It was pretty simple. But i might need your help with the HKS turbo timer on the way!
      '91 Black GTS-T

Comment

what harness did you go with? Universal? GTST specific?
        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
        lol

Comment

yeahs its bnr and hcr 32 specific!
          '91 Black GTS-T

Comment

Awesome tut!! Helped me take my gauge cluster out and get at some bulbs
            BNR32- Sold
            1998 Evolution V

Comment

Working...
            X