Double Din DVD/NAV head unit in a GTR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Din DVD/NAV head unit in a GTR

So I played around with 2 ideas... the first idea was to cut out the cig lighter and ash tray and mount my climate controls down there, I got a spare radio/dash trim and I cut it out and mounted it with some metal strapping... unfortunately it did not look the best. I dont have any pictures of this attempt.

my 2nd idea was to relocate the climate controls into the glove box, since the only time I touch my climate controls is to turn them on or off I thought this was perfect, I rarely adjust temp or fan speed.

so step one was to lengthen the harness, I am a car audio installer at a local shop in Victoria so I had all the material and tools to do this properly. I lengthened the harness by 2 feet, If i remember right there was something like 35 wires in total going to the climate controls, and this was the most time consuming part.

Mounting in the center console is easy, it pressure fits if you shave down the plastic screw holes on each side.

anyways here is some pictures of the finished product.

Kenwood DNX7160:

Heater controls in the center console - the center console still closes 100% as if there was nothing inside. All i have left to do is make a divider plate so nothing can fall through the holes where the harness comes through the bottom of the center console.

Wiring all soldered and heat shrunk and covered in plastic split loom, ran beside the shifter.
    Last edited by Shane_Sawatzki; 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM.
    1992 Dark Blue Pearl Skyline GTR - 457 rwhp, 404 tq @ 19 psi , chevron 94.
    1991 Gunmetal GTS4 - SOLD

Originally posted by dah_hunter
    i wait till the lights yellow.. or i lean far and go.. thats what BOOOOST if for..

Looks good man. Very clean and pro style

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Do mine? Lol, awesome job! Looks clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
      -Bruce Lee

Comment

Off topic, but i saw your car at the gyro car show the other weekend. Looks great mate.

PS, if you're willing to make custom brackets, it will fit within the glove box with no modification to the wiring harness
        Originally posted by victoriaGTR
        tire smoke makes my wiener tingle.

Comment

So bit of an update... decided I wanted my heater controls back on the dash so i figured it was time to get custom... I also didnt like the way the double din poked out of the dash by like 3/4 of an inch so I built it out, finished product is covered in a product called "flock suede tex" gives a suede finish that is scratch resistant and supposed to last for a long time ( we will see ) I used bondo to shape the trim, also filled the top section in solid, and once the bondo was cured used a 52mm hole saw to cut the 3 holes for gauges... going this route I guess i lost my cig lighter for now, and my ashtray but realistically they never get used so whatever... enjoy!

I Also have black suede shift and ebrake boot on order to match !

in total this project took about 10 hours to do, lots of test fitting, lots of filling and sanding of the bondo to get the surface perfect before applying the suede tex!

i wait till the lights yellow.. or i lean far and go.. thats what BOOOOST if for..

Comment

I can dig!

sent from a galaxy far, far away

Comment

Looks damn good! I plan to do this on my 33

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk now Free

Comment

super nice!
                BNR32, AE86, MX73(project for sale), RN130

Comment

thanks guys, depending on how well this suede tex product holds up between now and next summer I may do the whole dash in a dark grey suede!

Comment

that look really good!

Comment

Working...
                    X