my old skyline in the u.s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my old skyline in the u.s

so marc from works aero picked up my car. (well his driver did)

his driver, rob, told me he got to the border and on guy there freeeeaaaked out and said that car could absolutely not be brought into the country - its illegal.
    Rob told him its a parts car for a shop to makeinto a demo/track vehicle and he said it didnt matter.

While this guy was freaking out, rob was talking to another guy who eventually handed rob the bill of sale, ownership , ect ect and told him to take off and didnt even collect taxes from him.

Now im nervous guys. Once the gtr is back in indianna can the ownership be transferred after what just happened at the border?

Was the first guy wrong and a parts car/demo can be brought in for the shops use?

enlighten me because im nervous right now as to what will happen.

I know i shouldnt worry since its out of my hands first and its the responsibility of the buyers now, but i just dont want the u.s. governemtn showing up at my door looking to bring the vehcile back or collect the sales money, or something like that.

Why can't US have R32? I have seen R33 and R34 there. What is the rule?
    When the sun goes down, RPMs go up !

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel1458 View Post
      Why can't US have R32? I have seen R33 and R34 there. What is the rule?
      US is 25 year import rule. but as everything there are ways around it

Comment

As far as I thought, we could have any car we wanted in the country its just getting it plated and insured is the problem. Hence why you can bring an r34 to canada and claim it as a show car or track car (might be wrong on this though)

Comment

The USA Can only legally have the r33 if done properly.

or something 25 years old such as the kpgc10

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post

i've seen multiple legal r34's in the states. theres a guy in Florida that does them i believe. maybe they just do the dismantle route. theres also ways to get r32's in just takes someone who works for an insurance company and who isn't a douche. usually just e-test and inspection washington is no harder then vancouver

Comment

well it should be alright, hopefully

marc, the owner, has the following shop cars (demo's and track cars)

a silvia, 180sx, a r33 gtr.

he did have a gtst r32 aswell but its now sold or something

he said he had no porblem registering them, but they are demo/track vehicles specifically.

iono

Comment

Cars that are not OBDII compliant are not allowed to be imported as registered street vehicles, unless it falls under the 25yr rule. There are a few companies in the States that take the Skyline, perform alterations to them to make them comply with DMV and State legislation, then sell them as 2008 models ( or whatever year they were purchased in ) You can import a vehicle for parts or to track but I think that there is a limitation of 1 year for track/show vehicles. Some people just pull a VIN plate of of a 240sx and claim the Skyline as a kit car.

There's a few shady ways of getting your Skyline to the States, but I wouldn't want to get caught do them...You'd probably get labelled a terrorist and sent to Guantanamo...
                Roger L.

\"Fat chicks need love too...but they got to pay!\" - Quagmire

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post

Yup, thank Motorex for that one.
                  Of course everyone will say that you can do it with other ones, but there's nothing legal about it... just varying degrees of ILLEGAL.
                  Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkylines View Post
                    i've seen multiple legal r34's in the states. theres a guy in Florida that does them i believe. maybe they just do the dismantle route. theres also ways to get r32's in just takes someone who works for an insurance company and who isn't a douche. usually just e-test and inspection washington is no harder then vancouver
                    Only R33's are actually legal BUT no longer legal to import as the crash tests have been sealed from public use only JK Technologies has the proper paperwork which they are not aloud to give out. Motorex crashed tested 1 R33 GTR Skyline for DOT in the U.S. they then used the same DOT for R34 and R32 stating they were the same car until obviously someone caught them.

Most now a days are "Grey Market Imports" which means the car is state legal but NOT federally legal. Hense why some cars are been confiscated that are not motorex cars. The entire post is here at nicoclub.

Good read: http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/skyline-import-1.shtml

Basically if you want a Skyline in the U.S. either have it be 25 years old or pay $$$ to have the same model crash tested to prove it is 100% legal.
                    2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                    1969 Cooper S. Restored
                    1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

Skylines are basically 100% illegal now here in the states. You used to be able to register them here in AZ, but now the DMV is sending everyone with Skylines angry letters saying that they can no longer register them. My boss had to re-register his car in Nevada, and its only "state" legal through a loop hole.

Comment

i know the car cant be driven on the roads and what not

but this car is strcitly being used for demo

its going to be on the show cricuit and used in track events

is this ok?

its out of my hands now and in indianna so whatevr happens now is on the buyer. im sure he did his research before dropping that kind of coin.

Comment

Originally posted by F40 View Post
                          Skylines are basically 100% illegal now here in the states. You used to be able to register them here in AZ, but now the DMV is sending everyone with Skylines angry letters saying that they can no longer register them. My boss had to re-register his car in Nevada, and its only "state" legal through a loop hole.
                          Exactly, its a Grey Market car. State legal but illegal to the country, only way to do it now a days!
                          2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                          1969 Cooper S. Restored
                          1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

skyline guy

they guy who's based out of Ft.Lauterdale, florida illegally imports his cars. there was a thread on nico awhile back where they had confinscated 3 R34's and an s15, that had been shipped to cali initially and someone peeked in the containers. worst part about it, the owner who imported them either had to pay to exprt them or they were going to be crushed. and one of the r34's was a nur edition. the skyline guy had it on his site he was asking something around 100grand for it.

Comment

again, i know its illegal

but is it ok to have it at there shop for show/track demo's without being hassled?

yes/no

Comment

Working...
                              X