No announcement yet.

just drove through a foot of snow in my rwd skylin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please disregard all Vancouverite replies for snow driving because I have to admit, our snow is nothing compared to anything east of Hope.

I could drive my GTSt on Michelin X ICE last winter on a "white out" weekend up SFU, then back down to new west, then up to coquitlam's Westwood Plateau hill to drop off a friend.

we got 8" of snow in a day and the city shut down...

I thought I was the SH*T until my albertan friend drove up SFU today in a honda FWD all seasons w/o problems other than dodging out-of-control BC drivers

Comment

Originally posted by maxgohan View Post
      picked up some Nokian RSi winters and WOW!!!!
      last year i would get stuck in a couple of inches but today i was just PLOWING through snow a foot deep

this is gonna be a fun winter
      Im glad you like them, suprising a lot of people never heard about nokians and the Hakkapelitta's are one the best snow tires out in the market. You can mow through snow with ease. Just spread the word, since nokian relies on word of mouth rather than commercials.

Comment

never heard of nokian before but wouldnt mind trying them.
        my reason for liking blizzaks is a. i work for firestone and b. i have SEEN my cousin driving a 650hp mustang all winter last winter, and last winter was a bad one for ontario. (he was forced to by personal reasons). now no one should forget the tq made from a car like that. i think a car with a lot of tq is a little harder to drive in the snow.

Comment

Originally posted by M13 View Post
          Please disregard all Vancouverite replies for snow driving because I have to admit, our snow is nothing compared to anything east of Hope.

QFT

you vancouverites have no clue how to drive in the snow.. i grew up in Victoria but have lived the past 5 yrs out in the kootenays... last year my gf and i came down in november to pick up a puppy.

there was not even an inch of snow on the ground and there where SUV's and Minivans upside down on there roofs, one was looking like it had rolled over a few times... and that was on the way in... on the way out of Van, myself and a fellow kootenay resident were stuck behind HUGE long lines of traffic... it was snowing, but it was dry and billowing of the road as you drove not a single flake stuck to the ground yet everyone was doing 20-40kmh... we passed at least 15 cars each time we could doing over 100kmh....

i love my nokians too
          How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
          \'03 Dodge SX2.0
          \'90 GTR32

Comment

Originally posted by Shadao View Post
            QFT

you vancouverites have no clue how to drive in the snow.. i grew up in Victoria but have lived the past 5 yrs out in the kootenays... last year my gf and i came down in november to pick up a puppy.

there was not even an inch of snow on the ground and there where SUV's and Minivans upside down on there roofs, one was looking like it had rolled over a few times... and that was on the way in... on the way out of Van, myself and a fellow kootenay resident were stuck behind HUGE long lines of traffic... it was snowing, but it was dry and billowing of the road as you drove not a single flake stuck to the ground yet everyone was doing 20-40kmh... we passed at least 15 cars each time we could doing over 100kmh....

i love my nokians too
            I agree that is very true for MOST vancouverites. I hate it when I was driving during that dump we had a few days ago and the jackasses in big trucks are riding my ass only to spin out a few clicks down the road.

hellloooo 4wd MAY help you speed up but you still can't stop faster.

and ya I hear you on the slowing down when there is no snow ont he ground. I guess they magically think that if it's snowing in the sky that there is snow on the ground. I drove to grouse on tuesday while it was snowing and everyone was going sooooo slow, even though there was no actual snow ont he ground.

TROL

Comment

wow i cant beleive no one else drives there skyline in the albertan winters, we got atleast a foot of snow, i got stuck twice lol.
              im still driving it without a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by love_boost View Post
                wow i cant beleive no one else drives there skyline in the albertan winters....
                I can hardly afford to drive mine in the summer, let alone all year around....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JD74 View Post
                  I waited till about 8:00pm till the roads were clear of traffic, then hauled ass across town. It was an interesting ride to say the least

I left it way too late this year for car storage and I will not make that mistake again, but I just had to get every last 'ride' out of it.....lol....right till the end.
                  Haha, nicely done....that day is probably the worst commute I've done since I started working at my current job. I left work at 3:10, got home at 6:30 or so, with a 10 minute Starbucks break shortly after 4:00 Summer run usually takes 30 minutes, avg winter commute is 45 mins.

I work in the south and live in the north...in hindsight I should have left at noon or waiting until the evening and just chilled in the south....oh well, at least I made it home safely.

Unfortunately I parked my Skyline waaaaaay too early this year. Sometime in early November.....could have waited until early December (I think we had one or two snowfalls that maybe lasted 2 days each?). Better safe than sorry though, I guess.

Still have to check out if those RIPS parts will fit by the way, sorry, keep forgetting about it and too much stuff going on. Maybe I'll get a chance tomorrow sometime.
                  BlackAura (Kevin)
                  1995 ZX600C8 Kawasaki Ninja 600R - FOR SALE - See Marketplace
                  2003 Wrangler Jeep TJ Rubicon
                  1991 BNR32 Nissan Skyline GT-R - Sold

Comment

Attesa + Blizzaks = Ultimate winter car. Never been stuck. Went out cruising last night in the huge snow we just got in toronto, went climbing on snake road was damn fun. Not 1 of the subarus that came with could make it up the hill.. so we had to go back..
                    The Evil 4 Door

Nissan Skyline GTS-4 Sedan

RB-Technology™: .god сяэaтєd тнє dєvil тнєп gavє нім aп яв.

Comment

OK, it's not a Skyline, but I've driven my Accord Wagon in the upper Alps during a blizzard, a foot of fresh snow falling every hour, and Blizzaks pulled me through. Mind you, when we got into the real steep parts I put on chains as well. Snow tires in snow are fine, but add ice and inclines, then you need chains.
                      RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
                      http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
                      1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl @ TunerLab.jp View Post
                        OK, it's not a Skyline, but I've driven my Accord Wagon in the upper Alps during a blizzard, a foot of fresh snow falling every hour, and Blizzaks pulled me through. Mind you, when we got into the real steep parts I put on chains as well. Snow tires in snow are fine, but add ice and inclines, then you need chains.
                        Ice is the really tricky part. And that is what most people don't realize about Vancouver. Since Vancouver very rarely spends long periods of time below 0 we always salt the roads, which melts the snow. But when it drops a good chunk below zero again it freezes. So majority of the time we have a nice layer of ice under the snow and makes it a real pain in the ass even for the best winter tires.

The winter beater Dodge Grand Caravan with brand new all seasons hasn't been stuck once with the snow falls we've had this December. And I also live on the Upper North Shore which tends to see more snow than anywhere else west of Langley.

I still would love to have a Subi or GTS-4 with snow tires to go play in the snow with :drive: would be a lot of fun!

Comment

My Winter Beater is a REVERSE GT-R

2002 Saturn Vue AWD V-6.

She drives around as a FWD Biased Rig till slippage occures, then fires up the back end (opposite of the GT-R ofcourse).
                          I would say that it is the ULTIMATE Winter Beater. I can launch that thing from a light on ice like a dragster and it goes straight.
                          Love it......

Comment

My GTS-T has done really well in Port Coquitlam. Though in my work parking lot, there's a bit of a hill that's caused some problems... Namely, the car is perfectly content with travelling forwards at a 45 degree angle :-)

Comment

next year I either hope to have a gts-4 or a gtir for a winter car/daily commuter.

TROL

Comment

I drove my GTR all winter last year and it was great. I put some slightly narrower winter tires on (205's) and I could get down my street when trucks were getting stuck. Im one inch lowered, R34 N1's and about 1.1bar. Not a single problem, weather it was a foot or two of snow or -45. Great winter car.
                                Originally posted by Z-Tuned
                                Next question is: should I stroke it??
                                Originally posted by Wingnut
                                Yes, but leave the engine alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X