quesstion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quesstion

im planning on chucking a ps2 slim in my gtr but i dont wantr to run the inverter, just wondering if anyone did it and how it turned out
    “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

hard wire it into the car and use a fuse.
    Proud owner of the 2nd Skyline and the only GTR on the island!

Boost@14PSI, YellowJacket Coils, Extreme TSC, Full Nismo N1 Bodykit, Greddy Speed Cut Controller, HKS Turbo Timer, 280LPH Denso Fuel Pump, Nismo Slave Cylinder, AMS BOVs, Nismo Clutch Pivot, ACT Xtreme 6 Puck and HDPP, Greddy Panel Filter

Comment

alright, thats what i am planning to do, but would i need to open the ps2 as it runs on 8.5 volts, i think 5.3 amps or so
      “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

Comment

i was wondering what voltage it ran at, im not quite sure, if you can get your hands on one that got a dead dvd drive or something wire it up and see if it burns.

Boost@14PSI, YellowJacket Coils, Extreme TSC, Full Nismo N1 Bodykit, Greddy Speed Cut Controller, HKS Turbo Timer, 280LPH Denso Fuel Pump, Nismo Slave Cylinder, AMS BOVs, Nismo Clutch Pivot, ACT Xtreme 6 Puck and HDPP, Greddy Panel Filter

Comment

yeah i guess i could do that

Comment

Note, it's been a while since I've done crazy electronics stuff, but here's the general idea:

Uh....if I remember right, my PS2 (not the slim), had the AC->DC converter built in to the console. If the slim happened to have an external, it will be much easier.

You'll want to either find a live, fused, wire, which can handle the load you're about to put on it (i.e. won't blow the fuse), or run your own power wire. If you run your own wire, you'll want to fuse it around a foot from the battery, this way if it shorts, the fuse will blow, and you won't burn up your car.

Now check the voltage and amperage rating output of the DC converter. If the required voltage is below 13-14v, you need to step it down using a voltage regulator, and then you'll want to filter it somehow (I think this is done using a capacitor generally, you can probably find the circuit online that you'll have to build).....I doubt it will be above 13-14v, so I won't discuss stepping up the voltage.

Unfortunately if it's built in to the box, you may have multiple voltage rails leaving the built in PSU....i.e. 12v and 5v in a computer. If it's external, you only have to deal with whatever the external power supply is providing the computer.

Now, the amperage rating on an external power supply is generally the maximum it can produce, if I remember right (these things get hot, and if you ask for too much, they'll melt, etc). So you should fuse the wire between your regulator and the PS2 to this amount, as the PS2 will not draw any more than that....that way if you overload your circuit the wires won't start your car on fire.

Again, been a while since I've done this, but to be safe you should have something like:

Fused Power Source -> Voltage Regulator -> Voltage Smoother/Filter -> Fuse -> PS2

Also, use wire that is a high enough gauge that it can handle what you'll be putting through it (I'm going to say 8-10 gauge will be fine if you're not doing anything too crazy, but you can find specs online).

Don't forget the basic electrical laws (equations) to figure out what you'll need....if you know the general wattage the device uses, and the voltage, you can figure out the amperage it'll draw, or the resistance the device is putting on the electrical system.

If the PS2 does use 5.3 amps, you'll be fine with 10 gauge.....according to the American Wire Gauge standard on Wikipedia, it can handle 30A with 60 degree insulation, but again, do more research yourself, as I haven't done this in a while, and I've never actually looked up what amperage the wire I'm using can handle (as they just give you the stuff you need in University ).

If anyone can confirm or deny any of this it would be a huge help, thanks!
            BlackAura (Kevin)
            1995 ZX600C8 Kawasaki Ninja 600R - FOR SALE - See Marketplace
            2003 Wrangler Jeep TJ Rubicon
            1991 BNR32 Nissan Skyline GT-R - Sold

Comment

The slim uses an external adaptor so it'll be pretty straight forward, PS2----Regulator+Capacitor-------Fuse----Battery

Comment

alright, thanks guys, i will try to post a diy thread

Comment

110 vs 12

had a slim in my car and i used a converter that you fine at crappytire,it wires up to acc power so when you start the car it gives you the correct power supply to your ps.one item only very simple to wire in.

hope that helps you before fry'n a good ps2...

Comment

Working...
                  X