Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engineering tech article, what would you like to know more about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engineering tech article, what would you like to know more about?

alright, my trimester is ending tomorrow with my last exam (physics )
    i have 12 days before my next trimester starts

so i thought i'd share the knowledge

so i've already done a couple small write-ups regarding automotive engineering within my project thread, one big about brakes

anyway, i'd like to write another tech article in my project thread

so what would you guys like to know more about, based to facts and formulas

1. suspension; spring rate, dampning rate, sway bar stiffness, geometry, tension rods, alignment blah blah...

2. exhaust system; what impacts flow rate, diameters, material used, merge design, tube design, catalyser, muffler blah blah

3. whatever you want that i know about

voting ends in 3 days
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

I think talking about exhaust sizes on a turbo car is useless, or rather not as important (unless your talking about anything related to exhaust before the turbo aka valves, valve size, port openings, cam lift, cam duration, etc...). So I vote for suspension!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mitch32 View Post
      I think talking about exhaust sizes on a turbo car is useless, or rather not as important (unless your talking about anything related to exhaust before the turbo aka valves, valve size, port openings, cam lift, cam duration, etc...). So I vote for suspension!!!!
      everything would be general, and could be applied to any car,

and about the exhaust, i would explain how the diameter, length, connections, and material affects exhaust flow and ''back pressure''
      sigpic

Comment

oh, and if i do the suspension article, i'll talk about the importantce of unsprung weight, and how much of a difference bigger / heavier wheels do to the overall performance of a car
        sigpic

Comment

as a fellow (future) engineer
          id say go a different route, and do aero.. the flow of aero is more interesting than the a lil bit of flow mechanics for exhaust :/ imo that is

Im studying automotive, and im doing research on general aero on such! Our school (UOIT) should have our windtunnel finished this summer, and im hoping to see if i can get some proofs to let me use it for research!

Comment

well i've done external surface fluid flow in the last part of my fluid mechanics class, and its really really complicated and cannot be explained as easily as other concepts,
            and also, its not something that most people will be able to apply to their cars, unless they also have a wind tunnel
            whereas internal flow is much simpler and easier to apply
            sigpic

Comment

i love when stuff gets complicated! lol
              alright how bout the flow of intake plenums? (intake system from turbo through IC too)
              ive seen some smooth nice plenums than boxy ass ones..

Comment

def suspension IMO.
                1966 Pontiac Beaumont | 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-X | 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T Type-M
                1991 Toyota Celsior C-Type Supercharged | 1991 Toyota Cressida | 2008 GMC Acadia

Comment

I say supspension because while i realy like the idea of the exhaust article i kinda have some understanding from a post u made in another thread. I also know JACK about suspension and really want to learn more about it.

Comment

I would like to say suspension, but truth is, it's one of the most if not the
                    most complicated part of all cars. (when you start getting technical).

You can have a setup on 1 car and try the same setup on an seemingly
                    identical car and have different result. There is a lot of different variant
                    when it comes to suspension. Aldo you could explain the principle behind
                    a setup, the application is an other story.

I'm pretty sure most people here would benefit more of air flow in and out
                    of the head. Even if it's not has interesting. lol

And this way some members might learn how to properly choose a turbo, for
                    there application and how to get the most out of it. Or what modification
                    they could do to there head wich would be the most beneficial for there
                    goal.

Either way there both interesting subject. I just think if your going to talk
                    about suspension, there is a lot of technical aspect that could be talked
                    about, it's just theres not a lot of people here that could put it in application.
                    For example, you can teach what the rebound mean on there coilover, but
                    I don't even know of 1 place in less than 10h from my place that could
                    actually test my coilover to give me that info.

I'm really sad to said this, but understanding a problem to wich you have
                    no information is useless. And frankly information about suspension is one
                    of the hardess to find on the internet. And by this I don't mean how many
                    failure or bob said they suck. I mean real test bound and rebound charts,
                    And how they are affected by there adjustability. These test are really
                    rare, and are how you can see the difference between cheap and quality.

Just my 2 cents
                    I think you get the feeling I like both subjects.

P.S.
                    Don't talk about aerodynamic, if we where worried about that, we wouldn't
                    of bough a car that had the same drag coefficient has a brick. lol
                    14 VW Jetta TDI
                    05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
                    95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
                    95 240sx ( powered)
                    89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Originally posted by collector240sx View Post
                      Don't talk about aerodynamic, if we where worried about that, we wouldn't
                      of bough a car that had the same drag coefficient has a brick. lol
                      my thoughts exactly lol

i couldn't find the exact quote, but a couple years ago in Sport Compact Car magazine (best ever car magazine, may it r.i.p.), some guys were doing a race between L.A. and Las Vegas

one team were going to L.A.X. airport to catch a private jet directly to vegas
                      the other team were blasting the highway with an R32 GTR

anyway long story short, the R32 team had a radar detector, since they were travelling at 120mph+
                      and when it beeped, they said they didn't even have to brake, they just let off the gas and the ''brick-like areodynamics'' would slow the car down faster then applying a prius's brakes really hard (years ago)
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                        well i've done external surface fluid flow in the last part of my fluid mechanics class, and its really really complicated and cannot be explained as easily as other concepts,
                        and also, its not something that most people will be able to apply to their cars, unless they also have a wind tunnel
                        whereas internal flow is much simpler and easier to apply
                        Funniest thing is, that in your fluids class whatever you learned was not even touching the surface of how complicated external flow is (wtvr level it was it doesn't matter; in my school we had 2 regular levels, then another one for external, another for vehicles specifically, and also a turbine class). Even in your Masters you will never fully understand flow, its IMO the most complicated part of mechanical engineering. Internal flow is also complicated but it's easier to neglect things to make your life easier in the calculations. I'm starting to miss school, but mostly for the girls (but engineering sucked for that)!!!

Comment

i totally agree
                          sigpic

Comment

alright, suspension it is,

i should have it done by the end of next week, hopefully
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X