Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Comfy Automobile Seat Appreciation Station

Here is my story:

Ever since I was just a wee lad, I have had lower back pain. I remember it in kindergarten, where we would sit in squares on the floor. That raped my poor back. And I was like 5.

Cue turning 16. Woop woop I got my license LETS ROLL! an hour later my lower back is aching like mad. Curses! Several years pass while I drive my parents cars, putting off buying my own until Skylines are legal.

Then in comes the gts-t. It's just too small to be comfy for me, because I'm a tall white man who has no place being in the car in the first place. Why? THE SEATS. THOSE DAMN SEATS. No matter how I adjust, no matter how straight up or slouched over I sit, one hour into a drive my lower back is absolutely screaming. So I spend a lot of time stopping on longer trips. Just to take the stress off my back.

This thread, we discuss the seats that our vehicle is equipped with. I'll start us out.

---------------------------------------------

Seat: Stock GTS-t
    Fine for: local driving. driving to the movie store, or out to a meet in coquitlam.
    Bad for: Anything long distance. 1+ hour without getting out means that I will be squirming like a maniac until I finally concede defeat and stop for a rest.

I know a lot of you have aftermarket seats, and I have to hope they are more comfy than these abominations that are the stock gtst seats. I hope.

Get some memory foam and put it over the seats or something. I find my gts-t seats to be really nice.. http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/Sh...8-0026b9571fcb

Good luck.
    BNR32- Sold
    1998 Evolution V

Comment

I don't find problems with stock R32 GTS-T seat if adjusted correctly on the street, even after along journey. If adjusted incorrectly so rear of bottom of seat is down too much, can get a sore back, legs. Or side adjustment (knob on side of top half of seat) is set wrong or not enough adjustment for a bigger person.

But on racetrack stock R32 GTS-T seats are horrible, as get thrown around and can get sore knees. Need at least a GTR seat with proper harness, rollcage.

Make sure back of seat can collapse in a accident (2 piece). Solid back seat should ony be used in a car with rollcage.

Harness technology has come along way -

We are sorry, but this page cannot be found. If you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for, please contact us .
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Those knobs? WHat do they do? I've tried playing with them before but couldn't see any difference with the way the seat looked D:

Comment

Maybe bolster/lumbar controls? My '90 Celica had electronic bolster/lumbar adjustments and those seats were awesome. The '94 I have now as no bolster/lumbar adjustments, and I find after a longer drive (1.5hrs+) my lower back gets a bit sore.

Comment

At least you guys proper adjusting seats, Try driving in a bride ziexIII all day long lol. It sucks

Comment

I need an aftermarket seat with low seat rails. When I adjust my seat to "proper seating position" for driving hard, or even just driving in general, my head hits the cieling. I blame the sun roof and the decreased head space that it causes.

I'm betting you can't use aftermarket low seat rails with stock seats, i guess?

Comment

Knob on side of seat adjusts width of seat... Ones down low adjust the angle of the seat where your ass goes
                BNR32- Sold
                1998 Evolution V

Comment

Originally posted by quadracer111 View Post
                  Knob on side of seat adjusts width of seat... Ones down low adjust the angle of the seat where your ass goes
                  Okay so messing around with the seat today, I discovered that I have to leave the knobs on the side of the seat bottom alone, and leave the seat as low as it will go, otherwise my legs hit the steering wheel. I did change the width of the seat with the one on the seat back. I was at it's widest setting, so I tightened it up to match my width.

I wish I could sit my seat as close to straight up as possible. doing that in my truck = no lower back problems. I wonder how much it would cost to get a piece of metal welded into where my sunroof goes. I'd just leave the roof cover off because it's cheaper than finding one from a non-sunroof car. Sitting in thekid's gtr at one of the meets was incredible: I HAD LOTS OF HEAD ROOM! at least enough to fit my clenched fist between my head and the cieling. In my car, I have to leave the slide from the sunroof open so that my head fits, lol.

If I do go ahead and delete the sunroof, I'd sell it since I see lots of people looking for sunroofs/parts, and mine works flawlessly with no leaks/squeaks/crap.

edit: I am all for taking weight out of my car, since I love being deafened by road noise and being able to hear every rock that hits the underside of my car. The sun roof and it's motors/wiring have got to weigh a ton!

Comment

Is there anyway to lower the stock seat, such as cutting rails or the like?

I like the stock seat, and i dont necessarily want to buy an aftermarket one but I would like to sit lower.
                    Jesse
                    1990 HCR32
                    2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

So far no complaints, the GTR seats are fine, maybe just a wee bit narrow, but hold me in pretty good around the track, AND I have headroom! More than in my Alty or the wife's Pathfinder (but both of those have sunroofs). I'm a pretty big guy, 6'-4", 225-230 lbs, I went with the slightly bigger R33.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR33 View Post
                        So far no complaints, the GTR seats are fine, maybe just a wee bit narrow, but hold me in pretty good around the track, AND I have headroom! More than in my Alty or the wife's Pathfinder (but both of those have sunroofs). I'm a pretty big guy, 6'-4", 225-230 lbs, I went with the slightly bigger R33.
                        My problem is that I'm not the tallest guy by any means, I'm 6'2. My problem is the sunroof gets rid of the headroom cpmpletely. I can imagine a guy who is 6'5 being able to fit no problem whatsoever without a sunroof. A guy that tall could not have a sunroof though, that is how much headroom is reduced. I'vd decided to get rid of mine :P

Comment

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
                          My problem is that I'm not the tallest guy by any means, I'm 6'2. My problem is the sunroof gets rid of the headroom cpmpletely. I can imagine a guy who is 6'5 being able to fit no problem whatsoever without a sunroof. A guy that tall could not have a sunroof though, that is how much headroom is reduced. I'vd decided to get rid of mine :P
                          I can attest that even a 6'9 man can fit in a gts-t without a sun roof... Dah_hunter delivered my car all the way from Vancouver to Saskatchewan... I would get some tips from him in how to fit in a tiny car
                          BNR32- Sold
                          1998 Evolution V

Comment

Get a low mount rail. I got my Bride Vios3 on a Bride FG type rail and the seat almost hits the floor. Most of my friends have trouble being too low in it. I am 6'4" and 180lbs and I love it, even on long trips. It holds you like no tomorrow, so if you get antsy easily or don't like feeling 'held' then I would stay away from 1-piece bucket seats. I have lower back pain as well, from my lower #5 vertebrae not being fused, but I find no problem with the curvature of this seat. My only complaint is its sometimes annoying getting in and out of it.
                            “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Actually Skyline is ok for tall people. I would think you just have to push seat back more, adjust back of seat so you sit back more to clear roof (not straight up and down and tall people usually have long arms, so can reach steering wheel), adjust front of seat so knees clear steering wheel and adjust steering column, so it's at the highest setting (paddles underneath column).

Nissan Pulsar, etc would be harder for tall person to drive, at least that's what I have been told by a tall person.
                              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                              X