5w30 for BC winter: A-OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5w30 for BC winter: A-OK?

Since the weather is cooling down, I'm thinking it's time for something that isn't so thick on the W front. I was thinking 0w30 since the car really doesn't get beat on much, and the 0 would be great for cold weather starts. But then I was thinking about how much oil would spew from various locations if it was so thin. I know a lot of people run 10w40 year round, but the 10 makes me nervous with how cold it gets in the mornings... And nights.

5w30: A-OK?

0w wont be too thin, there isnt actually any motor oil out there that is "too thin" for automotive use, really, even 0W is still too thick for an engine upon start up, ideally if they made something thats the consistency of water that'd be best.

you wont have any more leaks using a 0W oil as you would a 5W oil. the second number is what dictates the viscosity of the oil at operating temp anyways, so a 0w30 is gonna be just as thick as 5w30/10w30 or straight 30 weight oil.

i run 0w40 in my hilux all year round, and it doesnt leak or burn a single drop of oil.

so, run 0w30 or 0w40.

Comment

I'll give 0w30 a shot and see how it goes thanks !

Comment

lol common misconception.

ppl think 0W30 is super thin and can't protect engines.

the W isn't actually for winter btw...

like derk said, 0 weight is still thicker than 30 weight at operating temperature.

no oil is too thin for start up.

0w30 behaves like a 30wt oil at operating temp, but because of additives to make it have "0" (which is thinner than 30 wt at start up, but still thicker than 30wt @ operating temp) will make it behave thinner than say 5w30 at operating temp by a small margin.

in fact, most high end cars come w/ and recommend 0w40.

To cap it off, a person who says 0w30 is super thin is oblivious to how oil viscosity rating is measured.

Comment

the number with W(winter) is for cranking in cold weather....the lower the number the more it can withstand negative temp

the second number like 20 30 40 50 60 is how thick it is at 100degC....higher the thicker/heavier

in bc 5w 10w is fine....0w thats just for new cars....or somewhere colder than bc

we hit -10 to -15 last last winter and i used 5w30 in winter but now i just use 10w30 all year round...no difference just make sure u warm up ur car good in the morning

btw ive used 5w50/40 castrol, 5w40 lubro moly, 10w30mobil1.......car seemed to like mobil1 10w30 so thats it i stick with one oil
          Last edited by markc32; 09-30-2010, 01:41 AM.
          Toy: BNR32
          DD: R50

Comment

Originally posted by markc32 View Post
            the number with W(winter) is for cranking in cold weather....the lower the number the more it can withstand negative temp

the second number like 20 30 40 50 60 is how thick it is at 100degC....higher the thicker/heavier

in bc 5w 10w is fine....0w thats just for new cars....or somewhere colder than bc

we hit -10 to -15 last last winter and i used 5w30 in winter but now i just use 10w30 all year round...no difference just make sure u warm up ur car good in the morning

btw ive used 5w50/40 castrol, 5w40 lubro moly, 10w30mobil1.......car seemed to like mobil1 10w30 so thats it i stick with one oil
            lol. you defs need to do some reading up on automotive oils and viscosity first...

the W does not stand for winter.

0w is not just for new cars, its just being used in new cars now because it was never available when older cars first came out back then.

the wide viscosity range is only possible due to the invention of esther synthetic motor oils and additives, for a street car, 0w oils are awesome, it is when you get into racing and other harsh applications is where the oils with the wide viscosity range starts to become less awesome.

as the only way to achieve the wide viscosity range is to add synthetic additives to the base stock, and these additives do not hold up to heat as well, and breaks down much faster, when this happens, the oil will not be able to retain its viscosity which in turn, leads it to losing its lubrication qualities and is more prone to shearing.

this isnt really too huge of an issue though, but if you do beat on your car on a track or something, the oil will break down much faster than a similar oil with a much narrower viscosity range.

but like i said.. just run 0w30 in your street car... none of that group III "synthetic" crap though, make sure its a real PAO or esther synthetic (group IV/ V)

off the top of my head, Motul 300V is a group V synth, as is AMSOil.

Comment

I wasn't worried that the 0 meant less protection, I thought it would leak more because it's "runnier", lol. Lesson learned

edit: oil is magical.
              Last edited by DreadedFist; 09-30-2010, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by derk View Post
                lol. you defs need to do some reading up on automotive oils and viscosity first...

the W does not stand for winter.

0w is not just for new cars, its just being used in new cars now because it was never available when older cars first came out back then.

the wide viscosity range is only possible due to the invention of esther synthetic motor oils and additives, for a street car, 0w oils are awesome, it is when you get into racing and other harsh applications is where the oils with the wide viscosity range starts to become less awesome.

as the only way to achieve the wide viscosity range is to add synthetic additives to the base stock, and these additives do not hold up to heat as well, and breaks down much faster, when this happens, the oil will not be able to retain its viscosity which in turn, leads it to losing its lubrication qualities and is more prone to shearing.

this isnt really too huge of an issue though, but if you do beat on your car on a track or something, the oil will break down much faster than a similar oil with a much narrower viscosity range.

but like i said.. just run 0w30 in your street car... none of that group III "synthetic" crap though, make sure its a real PAO or esther synthetic (group IV/ V)

off the top of my head, Motul 300V is a group V synth, as is AMSOil.
                sure i need to read....i guess im so wrong and thats y 0w is for new car coz now they came uo with it....do we have 0w oil when the r32 came out?

The SAE classifications characterises the viscosity at low and high temperature of the lubricant. The grade is given by two numbers separated by the letter W (meaning winter).

The first number, followed by W represents the low temperature viscosity, 5W, 10W, 15W... the lower this number, the more fluid at low temperature the oils, the easier the engine starts.

The second number gives the high temperature viscosity: 30, 40, 50. The higher this number, the more viscous the oil when hot.
                Last edited by markc32; 09-30-2010, 03:06 AM.

Comment

WOW alot of misinformation being spewed here...

the W does stand for winter... at least in all the articles i have read over the years have said the same thing... the W is for winter... lol

5W30 is fine for winter in most places in canada... i run it year round in my daily driver... no issues...

if i was further north i may switch to a 0w30 to make it easier, but then again id also prolly have to plug in the block heater...

if you park your car indoors over night chances are you wont need to worry about viscosity
                  How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
                  \'03 Dodge SX2.0
                  \'90 GTR32

Comment

Run 0w20 or 0w30. Might as well help your engine as best as possible.
                    2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                    1969 Cooper S. Restored
                    1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

read this.

lots of "I don't know what the number means but I'll apply them my way because I can compare 5 to 30 derp derp" W isn't limited to just winter, but also cold temp viscosity.

0W base would be great for our winters.

Motor oil viscosity grades and how they are selected. What do they mean and why is it important?

Comment

oh, when in doubt, run 5w30.

don't be a tard and try to compensate for a low oil pressure by using 20w50 like some kid I know did... His engine loved the bearings.

remember, pressure is resistance to flow, some is needed to get oil flowing, but 120PSI on cold start on an RB is not a good thing.

To visualize, a person with high blood pressure doesn't necessarily have good circulation. Neither for low BP. You want optimal.

Comment

don't be a tard and try to compensate for a low oil pressure by using 20w50 like some kid I know did... His engine loved the bearings
                          I have 20w50 because it's what ztune put in when they did my oil change before they went belly up. "It will be fine, just let it warm up a bit longer in the morning".

I sure as hell hope my bearings aren't toast on bad advice from an otherwise well regarded shop :X

Comment

WINTER! cant wait!
                            Last edited by markc32; 09-30-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X