Carbon Fiber Question HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber Question HELP!

Ok, so my seibon hood finally arrived today (TY Braden, hood is max b4ll3r st4tus)
    BUT... because I like to buy things without measuring and double checking, it doesn't fit over my giant ass turbo . It hits the hood the same place that the stock hood hits, only I cant bash in carbon fiber...

Now, what I have discovered is that the part it hits is not the hood itself but the area right where the "pillar" esque thing is.

Question 1:
    How bad would it be to cut into my brand-ass-new hood to get this to fit? Do I risk major structural integrity by chopping it?

Question 2:
    Say per chance I can cut into this B and I get it to fit... What kind of tolerance to the heat does carbon fiber have? I have literally cooked meals on my hood before (eggs and bacon) it gets that hot... Would this have any affect on it? I know carbon fiber is made by heat treating to like 1500 C and my clear coat on the stock hood shows no wear, but maybe someone has an experience?
    Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
    hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Ive seen people cut into the skeleton of the hood and its fine. Just make sure to run pins.

Comment

or make some hood spacers and pop the back of the hood up a bit. You might be able to just run a few washers and maybe it won't look so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRose View Post
        or make some hood spacers and pop the back of the hood up a bit. You might be able to just run a few washers and maybe it won't look so bad.
        Hood is out by at least an inch, so this wont work. Thanks for the idea though
        hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

get lower motor mounts?
          Nitrous Oxide is like a hot girl with STDs you wanna hit it but your too afraid of the consequences that will fallow

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightGTR View Post
            get lower motor mounts?
            large PITA

Comment

Now I see why you needed the pins, good luck! I hope it works out..

Comment

Originally posted by DougTaylor View Post
                Now I see why you needed the pins, good luck! I hope it works out..
                Thanks a lot Doug!

No body with experience cutting into this stuff or having it melt or anything?

Comment

Be VERY careful cutting cf. The fibers that will be released are harmful so wear a dust mask and of course eye pertection.
                  I've seen cf come in contact with exhaust pipes and it just wore into the metal and wore the cf. The resin didn't appear melted at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo View Post
                    Be VERY careful cutting cf. The fibers that will be released are harmful so wear a dust mask and of course eye pertection.
                    I've seen cf come in contact with exhaust pipes and it just wore into the metal and wore the cf. The resin didn't appear melted at all.
                    Thanks for that, cut it with a diamond dremel wheel and it cut like butter, worked very well. Clearance issues around turbo were solved but now its hitting on my catch can lol, so gotta slim that down now as well.

Comment

Woooow hood arrived finally, sweet glad to hear. Shoot me some pictures once you have it all mounted up!

Braden
                      2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                      1969 Cooper S. Restored
                      1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

Had to cut the hood, drill out new holes on the hood mounts, shave the latch down, remove the security button and trim my catch can.... The hood is on and pics are in the media section! So far no heat issues

Props to Braden for hooking it up!
                        Last edited by hozer; 10-13-2010, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X