No announcement yet.

ebay intercoolers --- to ebay or not to ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That comparo is poop, they never once said what the intercooler actually was, just that it was an "Ebay Intercooler". No pics, no descriptions, for all you know the really good "race" intercooler was a bar and plate and the Ebay one was a tube and fin. There could have been so much different about the two intercoolers, but you will never know because there are no pics. The fact that the car made almost as much power with way more intake heat tells me that the Ebay cooler was flowing more air than the "race" intercooler. Seeing a pattern there?

Also, these guys are pushing to the extreem with 40 psi and C16 on a 4G63. Not really apples to oranges for the subject at hand on that one.

Jon.
    Last edited by Dragon Humper; 06-11-2011, 01:41 AM.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

fact:

my bar and plate IC is really ******* good at removing heat.

I have the numbers to back it up too.

Comment

That Evo thread is crazy...people defending cheap stuff why?

Comment

Dont mean to thread jack but is anyone running a ebay MAF in their ride? I called the dealership and they want $650 for a Z32 MAF, Ebay sells em for $100. Any experience out there? Im gonna get ViPec or Nistune soon, and I might as well put in a bigger maf and injectors prior to tuning.
          Regards,
          Ken.

Bayside Blue '89 HCR32 RB22 "MORE POWA"
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/49160-kens-1989-babyzilla.html
          Blue '14 Mazda CX-5 - GF's Grocery Getter
          White '10 Mazda 3 - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by TheyKilledKenny View Post
            Dont mean to thread jack but is anyone running a ebay MAF in their ride? I called the dealership and they want $650 for a Z32 MAF, Ebay sells em for $100. Any experience out there? Im gonna get ViPec or Nistune soon, and I might as well put in a bigger maf and injectors prior to tuning.
            You have a PM
            14 VW Jetta TDI
            05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
            95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
            95 240sx ( powered)
            89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Originally posted by TheyKilledKenny View Post
              Buddy, if you can afford vipec, you can afford a real Z32 MAF. But if they look real, try it I guess. I never chance that stuff. I always go with the tried and true genuine stuff which few were not as good as I was told like AEM water meth, forged racing radiator and electric fans

Oh bigger mafs and injectors go in right before tuning, not at home then drive, might not do so well
              Last edited by Bruizer; 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM.
              No build thread.
              1991 nissan
              El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
                That comparo is poop, they never once said what the intercooler actually was, just that it was an "Ebay Intercooler". No pics, no descriptions, for all you know the really good "race" intercooler was a bar and plate and the Ebay one was a tube and fin. There could have been so much different about the two intercoolers, but you will never know because there are no pics. The fact that the car made almost as much power with way more intake heat tells me that the Ebay cooler was flowing more air than the "race" intercooler. Seeing a pattern there?

Also, these guys are pushing to the extreem with 40 psi and C16 on a 4G63. Not really apples to oranges for the subject at hand on that one.

Jon.
                yeah must be poop..... buscher racing....
                Last edited by Eat_Sleep_Shift; 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM.
                2003 350z track
                1990 Skline GTR
                1995 240sx

Comment

Originally posted by Eat_Sleep_Shift View Post
                  yeah must be poop..... buscher racing....

I don't care who they are, if you have read a quarter the technical data, comparison and product tests that I have over the course of 20 years you would be saying that too. I reaks of product pushing to me, "ebay stuff is crap, by my stuff at 6 times the price".

If you don't think that's possible for a proffesional race shop to do such underhanded mischef while appearing to be in good faith, you may want to read some feadback on what Hennessy Motorsports does to people who don't live in the great state of Texas.

I know marketing BS when I see it and Buscher Racing is slinging it. But like I said before, this is 40psi on a 4G63 so this is a whole other world of heat removal. For normal, middle of the road Skyline owners, a $140 chinese intercooler off ebay, or wherever (CXracing is a good one, lots of selection), CAN work better than even the stock GTR cooler (if you get the right one).

Jon.
                  Last edited by Dragon Humper; 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl @ RightDrive View Post
                    Forget eBay intercoolers, or most parts off eBay in general. The quality of the cheap intercoolers are terrible, and they are a downgrade from stock. If you want an intercooler for looks, take the factory intercooler and get it sandblasted to silver.
                    That is so far from the truth, factory intercoolers are as cheap as they get, they are designed to just barely do the job for the least amount of money (like just about everything else on a car to maximize profits). They may be tough enough to last 20 years without falling apart, but they are far from optimal when it comes to doing their job.

I'll save everyone some grief too, DON'T SANDBLAST an intercooler! You can't even soda blast one, the fins are too thin and you won't have any left when you are done. Chemical stripper and a soft brush are your only options, and you still must be very carefull.

Jon.
                    Last edited by Dragon Humper; 06-14-2011, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I had the same question about my I/C and I ended up not getting an Ebay one based on to much doubts and not much info excepts dudes saying yes it works but not having any real life data or test to back it up. I went half half on the cost and got a Garrett core and and ATP end tanks and got it welded by my brother cost just a little over 450$ can for a 24/10.5/3 core. I have not tested it yet but i have great confidence in Garrett products.
                      Last edited by Wedge; 06-14-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I too didn't go eBay cooler, figured the $1300 hks core was good. My retarded way of thinking is, why cheap out now.
                        No build thread.
                        1991 nissan
                        El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Same I put a Greddy spec V on my gtst and I'm only throwing 13.5 psi at it but it hasn't gave me any problems.

I didn't spend the extra $$ to be baller it was more of a piece of mind and better design over the Ebay. Plus if someone askes you "nice intercooler where did you get it"? I hate saying its a knockoff or cheap piece of metal.
                          Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Supraclean View Post
                            Plus if someone askes you "nice intercooler where did you get it"? I hate saying its a knockoff or cheap piece of metal.
                            See, I would be proud to tell people that my $300 ebay intercooler works just as well as a $1000 "real" intercooler.

Why spend $1300 on a "brand" when a $300 generic part works just as well and you can spend $1000 on other stuff (like an F-con that you can't be frugal with).

Jon.
                            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X