Carbon fiber vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber vinyl?

At a local car meet I seen a civic SI with a carbon fiber hood. After popping the hood to see what it had, I was shocked to see the under part of the hood painted. (me thinking the whole hood was carbon fiber, not a vinyl)

My question. Has anyone had experience with this stuff? If so, how did it go?

It seems rather cheap. I'd rather not try put this on my ride and screw up my paint.
    I was thinking of shaving my spoiler and putting this on the trunk for a slick four door feel.
    Originally posted by Robski
    do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Takes a wild amount of patience especialy the carbon; because of the need to strecth the vinyl you can get an uneven looking fiber weave from stretching it if you aren't ace... Doesn't mess your paint up though, so you'd be fine even if you botched it.
    Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
    hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

It looks kinda tacky to me if it's just vinyl, also do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?
      Polish Power

Comment

Something like this?

Last edited by Bravo; 08-08-2011, 06:02 PM.
        aww crap, did you see that!

Comment

omg soooo nice^
          Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

haha, Robski. That made my day. xD Yes, something like that. I don't want my whole car done tho. I think i'll see what 3m has and avoid ebay. Esp **** from china.

Comment

Here is a demo!
              http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/
              Last edited by Bravo; 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM.
              aww crap, did you see that!

Comment

Awesome, I ordered a small peice to put on my fuel door. Just as a test, if all goes well I'll attempt it. Would anyone be interested on a thread abotu this if I did?

Comment

Id be interested I was actually wanting to do my trunk/ hood with this vinyl until i could afford to buy the real deal. On this one website they clear coated the vinyl and i couldnt tell it apart from the real stuff, it made it A LOT more shiny.
                  1991 Skyline R32 GTR
                  2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD
                  1993 honda civic b18 turbo

Comment

I got clear coated stuff too. I'll do a trial and error run on a peice in my garage and see what you guys think.

Comment

The stuff you want is 3M Dynoc dry carbon fibre

I just bought a 4ft wide roll of it and am in the process of wrapping interior parts .

Its very very cool stuff , take a bit of practice to get the hang of heating , stretching and wrapping , especially complex curves.

I'm doing some tonight and will post the results in my gtr build thread .

I signed my business up to be a 3M dealer just so i can buy this stuff and i get a great price , if anyone wants some let me know

Comment

I bought a test piece of the 3m dinoc carbon fiber wrap a few weeks ago and wrapped a light switch plate and the corner of my ipod. Its tricky stuff, the corners definitely take practice. I think somebody here should do a tutorial thread, I know they're on youtube but its tricky stuff and tips always help.
                        I've been brushing my teeth with jack but it's resulted in terrible amounts of tooth decay.

Comment

yeah..i wrap anything (cars, airplanes, signs, windows, floors) name it and i wraped it, thats what i do for a living.
                          i will give u some tips cuz i dont want you to make your car look cheesy

first off, when you install this. its best to have windex for cleaning, alchohol to take off grease after you clean (i use methol hydrate)
                          a squeegi, and the most important a sharp exacto knife ( use olfa blades. its the best) and a torch or a heat gun(use heat gun if your new)

its too much to type how to install it so just look on you tube.
                          when its installed and ready to be trimed, do no trim it right on the edge of your hood. if you do you will see the paint under around the edges..instead trim it against the fender..there is like a quarter inch space around your hood or so..lean the SHARP blade against the fender and cut..(not the paint duhh)..anyways after you cut it..you should have about quarter inch or less extra vinyl around your hood..take that excess and wrap it underneath the hoood so you cant see the paint..

if you dont have a stock hood and it has lots of curves, it will be hard to install it if it has the gloss on it(laminate)
                          just because if you have the laminate on it the vinyl will now be 4mm instead of 2mm.. the post above me has a youtube link and they using 2mm..anything over will not go around curves like side mirrors...anyways if you have a stock hood it should be fine

use 3M ONLY...its the best...3m will last 5 years-10 years if you take care of it without fading..unlike oracle, mactac and the other garbage that dont even go aound curves.

never stretch the material otherwise it will shring again within a couple of days under the sun

if your succesfulll, dont go to the car wash within 48 hours after or risk it peeling..

i was going to wrap some parts of my car also but thought it might look cheesy..cant fake carbon fiber...but i will use that stuff on my interior though...just need some free time

umm, i cant think of anything else..got a question? ask..

if you lived closer i coulda done it for you for a trade or something..

Comment

Its pretty good stuff. I have done a tone of wrapping as well. Clean clean clean is the key. the dynoc will take a curve with heat. You can stretch it allot this is where I disagree with Jvizzle. But there are procedures to achieve long term success with dynoc. If you stretch and don't heat it will fail. If you over heat it will fail if you stretch to much it will fail. If you stretch into a negative curve it will fail. If you do not release the tension after you stretch Or compress the material it will fail. Are you sensing a trend here. Learn learn read and learn. Its not that hard to have good results. http://www.facebook.com/SpeedproGP?sk=photos take a look there should be some pics in there of a few CF wrapped Street bike parts. a tank (not achievable in one piece so don't bother trying), Windshield and side faring..

We are testing it on cellphones right now. For durability
                            Volvo is doing a C30 carbon edition in the UK using this factory installed.

IF ITS DONE WRONG! It looks like crap.
                            You can't fix stupid.

Comment

here you go , this was my first attempt tonight , didnt take long to get the hang of it , speeddm is right , takes some practice to get a good result but it's not that hard !

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gt-r-pro...tml#post479849

Comment

Working...
                              X