Battery or alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery or alternator?

I've been noticing issues lately ever since I accidently left my lights on and completely drained my battery.

(from what I've told, dry cell batteries are trash after being completely drained and then boosted)
    I'm not 100% sure on battery type. I'll look tomorrow

Issues I'm seeing now include

- Stereo, gauges, and turbo timer all reset, or lose power if I hit high-beams, or sometimes when I signal left or right.
    - Hicas light flickers on and off when I brake SOMETIMES
    - Headlights dim when I push breaks (sometimes)
    - Headlights dim when I use power windows

I'm currently having a misfire issue, but I don't think thats relevant. If it is, I believe it's just a fault coil.

Any idea whats going on?
    Originally posted by Robski
    do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Originally posted by krystalized_jdm View Post
    - Headlights dim when I push breaks (sometimes)
    - Headlights dim when I use power windows
    It's natural for your headlights to dim slightly when you do this, even on brand new cars. I first noticed this on my moms 08 chevy aveo.
    As well I've noticed that when I hold my window switch down in my skyline after the window has been put down my idle will drop slightly until I let go.

If you've completely Drained your battery it never hurts to replace it. ecspecially if you've already had it for a while.
    Originally posted by Paradis
    ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

with dry cell batteries (i have Braille 11,5lbs) the only way the correctly charge them, is to use a trickle charger @ 2amp for a full day

my battery got drained 2 years ago when the guys at the place where i paid to store my car over winter forgot to unplug the battery,
      it was totally dead,

now i have to recharge the battery for couple hours at a time @2amp because it won't hold a full charge if i don't drive it for a week
      sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

I put a 2v trickle charger on it all day and it stayed at the same amount of voltage

(according to my turbo timer, its 13.7-13.9 while running)
        Originally posted by Robski
        do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Comment

13.9 is average alt. output, your battery might be pooched. Have you tried testing it disconnected from the car with a multimeter? Try pulling the bat. and charging out of the car, then test to see if it gets to 12v.
          Originally posted by Snow
          Sure a condom holds water but you don't see me drinking from one.

Comment

Only reason your lights or anything for that reason should dim or be sluggish is either battery isn't holding capacity, or the alternator isn't charinging enough voltage while running. 2 Simple ways to check which on is the problem:

1st Test:

1) Start Car and run at a normal idle.

2) Connect a Voltmeter Directly Across the battery Terminals.

3) Turn on Headlights to High Beam.

4) check the battery Voltage.
            *** The Battery voltage Should read between about 13.8 to 14.2 volts. (Possibly up to 14.5 Volts.)

Reason for this is because even with a constant drain the alternator should be compensating for the drain on the battery.

2nd Test:

1) Connect the voltmeter directly across the "Battery Terminals". (NOT to the Cable Clamps)

2) While watching the meter, Start the Car.

3) The Battery Voltage should Never fall below about 10 Volts.
            If it does:

a) The battery is either "Low in Charge".

b) Or The battery has a "High Internal Resistance".
            (Possibly Sulfided Plates and probably Time for New Battery?)

Lastly ... I know its a very simple task but please check the terminals and connecting cable condition, something as simple as cleaning some acid away with baking soda/water can do wonders.

Hope this helps, keep me updated.

Comment

Working...
            X