considering matte black vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MKIV View Post
    If you intend to spend that kind of coin, upwards of $3-large, why not just get a proper paint job? Remember, vinyl wrapping costs nearly the same and doesn't take care of any scuffs, rusting or dents.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Unless you want to cover the good paint underneath? or your like that BMW in taxi movie that strips it off so the cops dont see them haha.
    Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

You dont get it. 3M is good for sure but Hexis Avery Orical, Are all good products. What Im saying is when you have an issue like a corner pulling up or something like that. What would be warrenty. Who pays for the fix?
      You can't fix stupid.

Comment

O adn if you want it done right call Brian Speedpro Mississauga. His installer is on par with ours. 905 569 6879. Tell him Dave from GP told you to call.
        You can't fix stupid.

Comment

Thanks alot guys, i have alot to think about, im going to look into it a little bit more, but still cant decide whether i want a complete new paint job, or vinyl coat it, but i just love how the matte black looks on cars, that impreza was beautiful. But keep the comments coming guys. And MKIV i will text you for sure if i need anything.

Comment

Plasti dip FTW

Comment

I was planning on wrapping one of my cars with vinyl but I couldn't justify it since the paint is still decent. My vote is just to get it painted properly or if you're up for it, do it yourself.
              Looking for cheap parts? supguyex (Jon) is parting out his car. Good prices, good guy.

Comment

I'm looking at vinyl wrapping my 32 GTS-T as well. Does it do anything to the paint underneath once it comes off? My paint is decent, i just don't want it being completely messed up if the vinyl comes off.
                R32 Skyline GTS-T

Comment

honestly, ive worked at vinyl shops, ive wrapped vehicles myself, and yeah its pricy. but if you know what you want, then just get it painted. for 3000$ you can get a decent paint job, unless theirs tons of body work to do. but still. if your really set on flat black, or satin black, then get it painted like that, will last longer. which means the money is better spent. and flat black paint job, only difference is the clear. just needs a mate finish. still good quality paint job.

but that black vinyl, even 3M and other good quality ones, if u just slide lightly againt it getting out of your car with lets say your belt buckle... well that wont go away, with paint, much more resistant.

people who get it done like that ferrari, or even that sti, or bmw's arnt really daily drivers, they are kept in nice garages and are very cautious, and are driven maybe once a week.

so get it painted for the money, more resistant. and get it the same finish. and after 3 years and you say your over it. you just need ONE good new clear on the paint ( glossy ) and its back to a brand new black r32 skyline.
                  89 r32 sedan

Comment

Originally posted by magular View Post
                    honestly, ive worked at vinyl shops, ive wrapped vehicles myself, and yeah its pricy. but if you know what you want, then just get it painted. for 3000$ you can get a decent paint job, unless theirs tons of body work to do. but still. if your really set on flat black, or satin black, then get it painted like that, will last longer. which means the money is better spent. and flat black paint job, only difference is the clear. just needs a mate finish. still good quality paint job.

but that black vinyl, even 3M and other good quality ones, if u just slide lightly againt it getting out of your car with lets say your belt buckle... well that wont go away, with paint, much more resistant.

people who get it done like that ferrari, or even that sti, or bmw's arnt really daily drivers, they are kept in nice garages and are very cautious, and are driven maybe once a week.

so get it painted for the money, more resistant. and get it the same finish. and after 3 years and you say your over it. you just need ONE good new clear on the paint ( glossy ) and its back to a brand new black r32 skyline.
                    Thanks alot for the advice, thats really the most helpful post on here, since youve had first hand experience working at a vinyl shop. but even so, thanks everyone for there input, im probably going to go with a matte black paint job instead then. but still have a lot to think about lol

Comment

im doing it myself this season... dont know what color yet. all those prices 3000+ is for loosers. buy the wrap for about 500 and do it your self FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by JDMotion View Post
                        im doing it myself this season... dont know what color yet. all those prices 3000+ is for loosers. buy the wrap for about 500 and do it your self FTW!
                        hey where would you get it from? and any idea how much i would need for a gtst?

Comment

google it..there are like 2000 vynyl shops just on dixie...if you want it for cheap..cut the middle man out..go straight to 3m..just google man..but since you live in toronto, i'll get some phone numbers from work were we order the material from...i will post it up in a couple of days when i get time..

if your gona wrap it your self and wanna know how much its gonna cost you for material, measure your whole car, find out how much square foot it is, then call 3m and ask them how much they charge per square foot..then voila....my guess would be around 800$ more or less

Comment

o yeah..dont put seams..it will not look good..put one sheet pet panel so you dont get seams..get extra material...most companies carry 51 inches wide material and as long as you want..and dont wax your car anytime close to the wrap date...hope that helps you bud

Comment

Good luck guys. Look on you tube there are some good training on there.
                              Seriously though Some of you guys are cheep little pricks. You don't value years of experience and training. The material is cheep when you do it right the first time. Good luck on your own. Funny I had a local guy want me to wrap his gsxr he told me that in the states they told him it should be only 500 to wrap. So I told him I would supply the tools and 8 hours of one on one training and all the material to practice on. Then he was on his own. If he called me for help once he would pay me my standard training rate and material costs. 4 days later the phone rang and he paid cash.

But hey what do I know.
                              You can't fix stupid.

Comment

install is easy..detailing can be tricky..theres just not that many usefull tips on you tube..they make it look easy on youtube just so they can sell thier material..but i never see them wrap any parts of the car thats a lil tricky to do..like door handles..how would a a new guy tackle that, id like to see..detailing without experience might cause more problems..i get what you mean..no need to call people names tho..........Just paint it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X