Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC Assigned VIN - How many of you have it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Assigned VIN - How many of you have it?

How many for you guys in BC have a assigned VIN that is on the drivers door sill? My car just has the old JDM VIN on the registration from the VIN plate under the hood and no BC Assigned VIN. Previous GTR's I've owned have had a new VIN on the door sill.

Did they change the procedure for the newer imports to get a new VIN ?

i think they did away with a few years ago and is no longer required my old gtst that i bought in 2006 had the bc vin plate and the gtr that i bought in 2008 doesnt,i guess they were trying to make things easier for the monkeys at icbc to figure out

Last edited by anthony; 04-06-2012, 03:55 AM.
    understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
    oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

ive heard conflicting things on the topic. it was never brought up when i first bought the car from out of province but then when i went to renew my insurance last year they didnt want to give me insurance without a reassigned vin. had to go to my broker and have them call and get an over ride code from icbc. i think its a crapshoot whether they hassle you about it or not
      1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Yeah it is no longer required. I owned two Skylines (R32's) that have them.

Its funny i still remember those VINs.

If only I want to waste money on car fax, I can still keep track of it..

Comment

mine has it under the hood, they wanted to see it for aircare

Comment

BC assigned VIN's were required back in the day cause ICBC was stupid.

However someone realized that Having 1 BC assigned VIN, made thngs like VIN swapping simple. and they decided to go with just using the JDM vin which makes sence.

as long as your car has 2 VINs on it, it doesnt need a new BC VIN.

HOwever there are lots of people at ICBC that still think that you need a BC assigned VIN's, if you run into one of these peole just smile and nod..

as GTRJON said, every couple insurance renewals they like to recheck the VIN's. and the chaos happens again.

Sigh.
            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

^ oh and like Ben always says, you cannot insure a newly landed JDM Car on weekends. Otherwise, you will have to wait until normal business day so they can re-instate your JDM VIN.

Comment

I have one on mine, But had no problem insuring or getting plates in Ontario
                "Syntax with a steering wheel."
                Volkswagen R32 Daily
                Nissan R32 Skyline Summer Car

Comment

mine still the same factory vin on the car but on papers some letters of the vin was turned around...
                  Toy: BNR32
                  DD: R50

Comment

Originally posted by flipridah17 View Post
                    ^ oh and like Ben always says, you cannot insure a newly landed JDM Car on weekends. Otherwise, you will have to wait until normal business day so they can re-instate your JDM VIN.
                    off topic....so this makes us two flips that own skylines in the lower mainland...anymore?
                    Toy: BNR32
                    DD: R50

Comment

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
                      BC assigned VIN's were required back in the day cause ICBC was stupid.

However someone realized that Having 1 BC assigned VIN, made thngs like VIN swapping simple. and they decided to go with just using the JDM vin which makes sence.

as long as your car has 2 VINs on it, it doesnt need a new BC VIN.

HOwever there are lots of people at ICBC that still think that you need a BC assigned VIN's, if you run into one of these peole just smile and nod..

as GTRJON said, every couple insurance renewals they like to recheck the VIN's. and the chaos happens again.

Sigh.

What do you mean you need 2 VIN's on it? I only have the JDM VIN under the hood and that is all...

Comment

There's actually 2 on the firewall. One on that blue thing witha bunch of other stuff and another physically stamped into the firewall right in the middle usually

Comment

Ah ya that's what I thought you meant...

Thanks guys.

Comment

Glad thats all cleared up..

:-)
                            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Originally posted by markc32 View Post
                              off topic....so this makes us two flips that own skylines in the lower mainland...anymore?
                              I know there's more dude.

Comment

Working...
                              X