Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper heatshield

Hey guys,

After googling for a bit and letting the WTB thread go old, I want to ask if any of you know where I could find a steel/aluminium bumper heatshield for my exhaust. The CF is simply too bling for me and since my exhaust is melting my clear I doubt the resin in the wet CF would fare any better.

Could any of you make a clean looking one? I can't find anything other than CF on the internet and I want something under 100$ anyway. I'm considering getting it fabbed locally but I doubt anyone would have the skills to do something clean and for under 100$.
    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

ive been looking for the same dam thing... i have yet to have any luck finding out yet...
    Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Most (including Japanese tuners) use high temp (1100F Continuous) adhesive backed radiant heat shield mat -

Cut it to correct size, stick on rear bumper and done.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

ive seen this before.... but personally i am looking for the molded metal/carbon fiber one... know what i mean... i know the OP isnt looking for CF, but meh i would have to see it to see if i would like it or not...

thanks tho skym

something to consider at least.

Comment

Yeah I considered it too, but I'm looking to paint the plating flat black... painting over CF would be pointless since you're paying for bling tax just to end up painting over it.

Edit: Cory, you might be interested in this: http://www.rhdjapan.com/attain-carbo...p9a-ct9a-21447
          Last edited by MarusGTR; 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM.
          1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

I see. I guess it depends on colour of car and carbon would work on any colour car. Just seems like the $$$ could spend elsewhere on car.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Well better to protect the bumper then have it melt and need a new one right...

Marus

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.... now if only they had it in stainless. Lol like you said. (Never thought about it until you mentioned it). But the resin might melt.... so I think I'll look for a metal one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
              Last edited by h4X6; 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I would go to a metal fab shop and have them make one up for you out of stainless if that is what you prefer. Aluminum transfers too much heat. It is a great conductor next to copper. Just out of curiosity why is your tip so hot that it melts the bumper? My tip barely clears the plastic and there is no indication of heat damage.
                sigpic

Comment

Ya I don't know why mine gets so hot... however that being said. My tip actually touches the bumper for some reason. So its always resting against it. Hence why i wanted one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

My paint has literally blistered off from the heat of my exhaust

Comment

if your exhaust is touching the bumper you can always heat up the hanger and bent it a bit so it will sit a bit lower.
                      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

The hanger is already extended to the max, and yeah it's probably touching when I get some Gs going. The paint simply melted off where it could touch. But the clear in the tow hook recess also started to bubble, so direct contact isn't the only issue.

Edit: Also for the aluminium vs stainless, I was proposing Al because it's very moldable and even if it is a good conductor, it's surface area and high local turbulence would wick any heat away before it would affect the paint. I think.

But yeah, good call on the stainless.
                        Last edited by MarusGTR; 06-01-2012, 11:05 PM.
                        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Working...
                        X