Equal Length downpipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equal Length downpipes

Lookin for solid info on equal length downpipes.

From what ive researched they are supposed to match the pulse of the exhaust but the pulsation is dramaticly or entirely reduced by the turbos compared to n/a vehicles. Also in my mind the extra bending and length of the pipe would create more resistance to flow from the one turbo also adding some extra weight.

Have any comparisons been done between same size after market regular downpipes and equal length downpipes?

Im hoping to find evidence that the claims of better response/faster spool and power increase are true
    All performnce camparisons ive found are between stock/small downpipes and equal length which oviously your going to have better performnce from a larger aftermarket pipe of any kind

So is the extra bend,length weight and price worth it?

with 20 some years of this car being around, it's all been done. Most people run a flex coupler in the front turbo to help but is not necessary. How would you run equal length with what little room is there? You'll gain better benefits from running no cat haha.

If you want badass, get a full titanium down pipe!
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

I'm assuming you must be talking about a GTR.

I had EL downpipes before (2.5" into 3") and I'm getting my new downpipe made equal length (upgraded to 3" into 4") after driving on it for a while. I'd sell the old one if you were interested.

I would say there's zero power benefit from it. Maybe some but there's no exhaust pulses to speak of after the exhaust has gone through a turbocharger.

i'd also say there's no power decrease - the extra bends are large in diameter and really not a big deal. The extra weight is minimal too - maybe a pound tops.

The big difference is the exhaust note. Hard to explain but the car just sounds far better with an equal length downpipe.

I FINALLY found a great video to compare!

(stock downpipe)

The Mines equal length front pipe made the biggest difference to the sound.Exhaust and front pipe resulted in a useful 21 Kw gain over the stock front pipe a...

(equal length)

See how much better/smoother it sounds?
      1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
      2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
      2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

This may sound crazy but i think i might like the first non equal length downpipe note more. Maybe because its lower than the equal length note maybe because its indoors...

Also this is comparing oem to equal length not an aftermarket to equal length but i see what you mean sounds more tuned.

It would probably sound lower on my 3.5 catback

Comment

EL pipes make a higher note than non EL.
          1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
          2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
          2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

my research from a couple months ago found zero proven performance benefits from equal length. myself and my fabricator decided on non-equal for my custom front pipe due to ease of fabrication, ease of assembly/disassembly, and lower cost. my recent thread has pics if it helps.
            oh hai!

Comment

It's hard finding good information on this subject. I've been trying to figure out which is best: equal length vs unequal length front pipes (aka down pipe, runners). This site was the only thing I could find on the subject:

Complete Exhaust Overhaul from the cat-back, decat, resonator, down pipe and turbo outlets for a full Turbo back exhaust

Otherwise, I'm leaning towards the unequal length since the stock/NISMO design is the same.

Comment

year old thread but the best sound is equal length.
                Funny thing is, the outlets aren't equal length so really you'll never find a true equal length setup unless you go single!
                No build thread.
                1991 nissan
                El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Working...
                X