Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to make sure no one else gets burned!!!!!!!!!!!! J spec auto....... Bad people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to make sure no one else gets burned!!!!!!!!!!!! J spec auto....... Bad people

So I'm not really sure about how to go about this so I'll just start with the story. As many of you know I have been rebuilding my R32 for about two yrs, I recently (March 28/12) bought a R34 complete power train from J Spec Auto in Ashland, Virgina. At this time I felt they were a stand up company, seemed good to deal with, provided me with a video of the compression test for the motor, advised me that there was damage to the rear dump tube, also a cut wiring harness. I told him this wasn't really a issue for me as I already had replacement dumps and would not be using the harness.

Photo of Powertrain

So upon receiving the motor, I then remove the turbo's from the motor to check for shaft play, and inspect them for damage as it as good smack, broke the factory R34 Dump tube at the weld...... I even went so far as to spin both of them up on compressed air. Both Turbo's checked out perfectly.

Photo of the new Manifolds and dump tubes.

So once this was completed, I got called to work for about three weeks, once that was over we then proceeded to install the motor at the shop, which offers a lifetime warranty on there work, as well as being the premier performance shop in Newfoundland. This shop just came in Top 10 at the Atlantic Nationals with there custom Camaro that Brian built. Here is the link to the shop.

Now two days later the motor and Tranny were installed in the car, the next morning, I fired it up for the first time.... I even went to the trouble of pre oiling the motor with a accumulator.... very difficult to prime to 80 psi without a working motor... LOL. Anyway, it fired up and ran perfect, the car was a little rich, but nothing serious. I then moved the car out of the shop to the back driveway/parking lot, this is where the car failed.... I backed down the driveway, came to about 3 grand in first, shifted to second, burped the fuel, and listened to all the turbo fins rattle around my exhaust..... then the motor..... Catastrophic failure......

I borrowed a borroscope from work to investigate the cause with out pulling the motor apart..... What I found was the rear turbo, the one that had a damaged dump tube...... The turbo shaft must have had a fracture in it because it actually let go in the middle of the centre cartridge, sending he exhaust side everywhere, and the intake side went thru the motor the other way.....

A compression check reviled 1-5 have zero, 6 is 155. This is where I want everyone to be warned!!!!!

I then called J Spec AUTO in Ashland, Virgina. Now please remember, the total on my bill was 11,300 US. I called Chris - Customer Service rep, he told me he would talk to Sam(Owner) and see if we can work something out, and that he would call me back.... This went on for days, then weeks. I finally called bait pissed, because prior I was trying to be diplomatic, I told Chris I wasn't looking for my money back, merely a replacement short block, not even a full motor.just a block and head, nothing more.

So after a few weeks, when they realized I wasn't going away, Chris told me they wouldn't even look at doing anything for me, said it didn't matter where the work was done, they weren't going to help me period. I then called back and got Sam - Owner. This is the response and I quote "Your from a city, in a province that I don't now where it is, that is in a country I don't care about."..... "So what are you going to do??? " he asked, sort of snotty.

I told him I would fly down there and burn down his shop and be back in Canada before they put it out.... I then thought about it, and said to him "but you probably have insurance, so that would only help him. He agreed laughing. I hung up. This was the first time I ever had a engine retailer do this, I have had three b18C's that smoked like trains right after install, got either another motor or the money back.... I was actually pretty speechless.

So the moral to this rant is this, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM J SPEC AUTO. I will have a You Tube Video up soon about this ordeal, detailing the timeline and the fact that they ripped me off solid. My only hope is that they never get the opportunity to do this again to a fellow car guy/girl.

As a last note, If anyone has a "good" engine retailer that is in Canada, please forward me there contact info as I'm currently looking for another motor......

Thanks for reading, Ken

Could you possibly go through a small claims court?
    95 R33 Gtr

RICE - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

Comment

Small claims only works if it was a Canadian Business, they are located in the US. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

Comment

Were they the company that was trying to sell a govt seized skyline a few years back? Maybe its a different J-Spec but they had their site on the venders list here.
        Double track drift, yo.
        http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5228.gif

(oo sκylιnε oo)

Comment

I really hope they aren't on the vendor list for this site..... here is a link to there website.

Discover a vast selection of JDM imported cars and parts. Browse through our inventory and find the perfect car or part for your needs. Shop now!

Comment

I have been looking at the vendors that are listed in the forum, Autodream offers a motor, as well as Japan Domestic Motor.

Reviews and opinions, contacts I should ask for at these company's.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. Hope things work out for you.
              1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

So this is where I'm at:

Autodream - 3150 CAD (R32)
                Japan Domestic Motor - 3400 US (R32)
                - 6500 US (R34)
                Tiger Japanese - 2795 US??? (R32)
                Engineland Japanese - 2900 US (R32)
                Advanced motor imports - 3800 US (R32)
                Nagasaki JDM Motors - 2900 CAD (R32)

A wide range of prices.... More so concerned about the reputation of the engine retailer at this point. Has anyone bought motors from these retailers, opinions and reviews please

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno-Vibe View Post
                  Maybe its a different J-Spec but they had their site on the venders list here.
                  Different J-Spec...

Sucks to hear you had a bad experience, hope it gets worked out.
                  RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
                  http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
                  1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Spoke with Wais at Japan Domestic Motor, nice guy, listened to my sob story, then said he could help me out with another R34 motor. For a decent price at that. So I'm sort of getting some excitement about my GTR again. See how this all pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by RhdHybrid View Post
                      Spoke with Wais at Japan Domestic Motor, nice guy, listened to my sob story, then said he could help me out with another R34 motor. For a decent price at that. So I'm sort of getting some excitement about my GTR again. See how this all pans out.
                      sounds great let us know! that sucks about J-spec though

Comment

Cory mentioned your situation to me. Sorry to hear a out the outrageous hassle. The good news is it can only get better!

Comment

i'd still burn down the shop just to make a statement and to put their business out of commision for a few monthes.....call me a **** but this story pissed me off just by reading it. I've had the same thing happen to me with my $1500 rb20, let alone a $12,000 r34 rb26....
                          1991 Skyline R32 GTR
                          2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD
                          1993 honda civic b18 turbo

Comment

Shitty deal man, this is the reason why I won't deal with Americans anymore. I won't even buy anything online if it's from the US. Hope you get things worked out and get your ride back on the road!
                            1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
                            -Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by RhdHybrid View Post
                              So this is where I'm at:

Autodream - 3150 CAD (R32)
                              Japan Domestic Motor - 3400 US (R32)
                              - 6500 US (R34)
                              Tiger Japanese - 2795 US??? (R32)
                              Engineland Japanese - 2900 US (R32)
                              Advanced motor imports - 3800 US (R32)
                              Nagasaki JDM Motors - 2900 CAD (R32)

A wide range of prices.... More so concerned about the reputation of the engine retailer at this point. Has anyone bought motors from these retailers, opinions and reviews please
                              Try DirectJDM in Mississauga, Ontario.

They're located on Matheson. I've had no complaints with them.
                              1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X