Catch can, pcv delete. advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch can, pcv delete. advice

When I was getting my car tuned they unhooked the line going to my pcv valve; told me I had a slight leak at the valve and can just take it out and plug the hole.
    I am wondering what the best setup for a catch can would be with the pcv valve removed and capped off.
    Currently I have the fresh air line going to the can, then from the can it goes to the passenger side valve cover.

I can modify the catch can to be a breather style if it is better. The inlet and the outlet are too small on the catch can for proper flow right now anyways, so its going to be modified.

The mafs are deleted on the car.

Advice is appreciated.

Factory way with catchcan inbetween exhaust camcover, intake pipe infront of turbo is best for road use (emissions). Many cheap catchcans don't have a plate inside (inbetween inlet, outlet) to separate the oil from blowby gas, so oil goes in and straight out (some oil stays in catchcan).

If for track use you delete PCV valve and run both camcovers to catchcan (catchcan has a plate inside inbetween inlet, outlet, at top of catchcan that makes the blowby gas turn 90 degrees many times to separate oil from blowby gas), then breather hose from catchcan to just behind engine (only works when car is at constant speed, like on racetrack, hence no good for road use with stop, start traffic and only used on racecars, rally cars, etc). That way there's no blowby gas going into engine, spoiling burn that cost's hp (with ECU tune to suit, as is venting engine to atmosphere, etc).
    Last edited by Skym; 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I might just hook it back up the way It was, but modify the can to accept the proper hose size. The little lines the can came with were restricting too much flow. I will also make sure the can has a plate inside and possibly tig weld one in.

Comment

Could remove fittings, drill holes bigger, tap holes to add new thread and screw in bigger fittings. Stock PCV hose off exhaust camcover breather is 16mm ID.

The plate inside catchtank should look like this (inbetween inlet, outlet) -

The plate has to be high enough inside catchtank, to take into account catchcan filling up with oil (might need to mark sight tube on side of catchcan, to know where bottom of plate is, so know when to empty catchcan).
        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
          Could remove fittings, drill holes bigger, tap holes to add new thread and screw in bigger fittings. Stock PCV hose off exhaust camcover breather is 16mm ID.

The plate inside catchtank should look like this (inbetween inlet, outlet) -

The plate has to be high enough inside catchtank, to take into account catchcan filling up with oil (might need to mark sight tube on side of catchcan, to know where bottom of plate is, so know when to empty catchcan).
          good info, thank skym. going to modify it tomorrow. It is a fairly fresh motor, so I hope it doesn't fill too quick!

Comment

You're welcome. Catchtank, catchcan = same part. I noticed motorsport experts base amount of litres of catchcan off cc of engine. Anything over 2 litre in capacity (2000cc) you fit a 2 litre catchtank (on racetrack, as mentioned above).

With turbocharged engines you x capacity of engine by 1.7x. So 2000cc x 1.7 = 3400cc (actual capacity of engine, taking into account the turbo).
            Last edited by Skym; 03-20-2013, 03:37 AM.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I built a nice aluminum catch can with full baffle and k&n filter ontop. I am going to setup like figure 2 in the previous link. Used proper sized fittings and hose; unlike a lot of generic catch cans.

Comment

Working...
              X