Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Shipping short block across country - Greyhound? LTL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Shipping short block across country - Greyhound? LTL?

So I bought a built RB26 short block as components and a few extras. Estimated weight is 200-pounds.

Going from Red Deer to Toronto.

Any ideas on best method, carrier and packing that has worked for you?

I used to be involved quite a bit in the trucking side of our company so maybe I can point you in the right direction. I've also shipped a few engines in various stages of assembly, even a couple that went overseas.

First off, you need to strap it to a pallet. Not a shitty thin pallet either; Something that is thick. Google "CPC pallet" something like that. If possible get a half pallet or get a full pallet and cut it to size; you don't want any wasted space. For banding I would strongly suggest steel banding, but since your not in the industry that might be hard to get a hold of (You need the proper tools to tighten it). A good rope or cheap ratchet straps would work too, however, if you go that route it would be best that you keep that info to yourself. A lot of carriers have their own rules and regs and you don't want to get it refused. Most guys that accept the freight dont care as long it is secure and not lose. After it is secured to the pallet you need to shrink wrap the **** out of it. And I mean a lot. Don't be shy with this stuff. Start at the bottom (Bunch some up and stick it through the planks on the pallet to start) and work your way up to the top overlapping 2/3 of what you just covered on the previous layer. Once your at the top work you way back down to finish it off. Make sure you get all the top and, if possible, preferably the bottom as well.

As for carriers you have some options. Greyhound might be the cheapest, professionally I've never used a bus service but I have for personal use for things like clutches/flywheels and it worked out fine. If you call the big guys (IE: day and ross, midland, armour, etc etc) the rates will be fairly high compared to a smaller carrier.

I would suggest you get a rate from Greyhound first and then look in the yellow pages for Toronto based trucking companies. Usually these guys get stuck out there looking for freight trying to come home. Rates going from west to Toronto are absolute **** so a lot of companies will get enough dollars from Toronto to west to cover the trip home. Anything on top of that is gravy. So check with these guys for sure. Actually, if you're in Red Deer and are a social person go to a big truck stop and strike up a conversation with someone. They might just point you to the right owner/operator who will throw it on their truck for who knows what.

Best of luck with it.

Comment

Awesome insight, I'm in Toronto trying to quarterback shipment from Red Deer to me.

Anyone try www.uship.com it's all carriers bidding on small LTL piggybacks that a dirt cheap.

Comment

ztune there is actually a show on tlc or discovery or something or other that is based around that site... i think its a good site...

the show is based off 5 groups/people who do just that, bid on shipping stuff... doesnt hurt to try as you can always so no in the end.
        Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

shipping wars!
          1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

I shipped my engines a few times along with my transmission to the us. FedEx was great so far. Shipped my tranny to Ohio from red deer for $250. I built my own pallet/box. Took a few hours.
            I'd check them out.
            Engine I shipped to BC which was $450, same size pallet and dimensions, using a trucking company.

Anthony should have no issue shipping with FedEx BUT they only ship out of Edmonton or Calgary for that size.

I received a tranny from Quebec once which was $450 by train.
            Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
            Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
            Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
            Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
            Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
            White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
            lol

Comment

Hmmm figured FedEx would cap the weight since it needs a forklift, dock/pumptruck.

I'll try them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Z-Tuned View Post
                Hmmm figured FedEx would cap the weight since it needs a forklift, dock/pumptruck.

I'll try them too.
                I forget what weight they stop at. Is it a long block or shorty?
                Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                lol

Comment

Short with some extras. Est is 250-pounds but I think that's kinda high.

Comment

Working...
                  X