Advice fixing CF hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice fixing CF hood

so i recently picked up a busted up SEIBON CF hood for real cheap and I've been repairing the cracks on the bottom to get the fitment aligned up again. and now that ive got it square and true im onto working on the top. its in rough shape... heres some pics to start it off.

As you can see the gel coat or top resin coat has cracks and chips all over the top, so what would be the best way to fix this? ( ive never really worked with fiberglass before this) and taking it to a shop is out of the question, kinda of a fun project to keep me busy. I kinda realize keeping the CF look is not optional due to the damage, so keep in mind painting it is a possibility.

from the research I've done i should start by "V" ing out all the cracks and getting rid of any damaged resin, down to the CF layer (as close as possible), then filling it with Resin and sanding it flat. then possibly bondo and sand and paint?
    Am in on the right track?

any advise is appreciated
    Last edited by nick-nismo; 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM.
    Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

I'm not sure of the product to use but I know with the carbon hood I bought, the resin was yellowed and cracked. The body shop I took it to sanded down the top coat as much as it could, sealed it with something and then painted and cleared. Unfortunately I don have the product name but I can try to get it. May have just been a resin
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Ask the guys at Fiber-Tek on Boundary road, they know CF and they have different kind of resin. CF usually use epoxy resin which is differ from the polyester resin used in FRP.

Comment

I worked with carbon, kevlar and fibreglass. try and find a fibreglass shop or anywhere, and ask if you can buy "EPOCAST® 50-A1 Resin" this is what you will need IF you want to keep the CF look.

If you plan on painting, just any old resin will work, then a glazing putty and paint.

-Get a die grinder with scotch-brite pad(red first to get the major damage off, then green to get as close to the CF as possible)
        -Once damage is out, get Isopropyl alcohol and clean.(let dry or use air line to ensure is evaporated)
        -Mix resin(let stand for approx 10 mins) and apply to areas damaged.
        -Wait 24 hours to cure, and wet sand with starting with 800 grit progressively up to 6000 grit (or higher depending on finish you want)

oh ya, this resin is pricy lol. about $100 for a quart. but its deff the best you can get.
        Last edited by future_R34; 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM.
        Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

I'm interested how this turns out for you. Please keep us posted!
          oh hai!

Comment

ya ill post up results when i get working on it, so far I've only grinded down like half of the cracks, so lots more to do.

Comment

well heres an update, finally finished filling and sanding the hood out and now this is what it looks like after the first coat of colour. Its not 100 percent perfect but its far better than what it was before and still a solid up grade over the stock heavy gtst hood
              ill post up another pic after clear coat and install

Last edited by nick-nismo; 06-29-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X