Durability on skylines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durability on skylines

Hi I was calling around today trying to find places that service skylines before buy one so i know where to go. As i called one mechanic told me to "run" because these cars were **** and they were as old as me and that they were not worth the money. I am asking how durable are these cars? The model was a 95 r33

If this model is not worth my time what is?

skylines left in stock form really arent that bad as far as reliability goes as long as you keep up on maintenance. however, when you start modding them they are as reliable as a house of cards.
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

what about tuning?

Comment

This subject is hammered on all the time.
        Read this http://forums.gtrcanada.com/general-...ight=GTR+faith then buy the car and love it.

Comment

When you modify Skylines, thrash, have to treat them like a racecar with servicing, engine rebuilds, replacing parts, etc.

I have found a Skyline to be reliable if drive normally like most cars, but they are getting old, so have the usual failures that any old cars have and some owners thrash without servicing properly or tuning properly to take the thrashing. That's where the problems occur.

My advice is lower km travelled (under 100,000km) and find a car that's not thrashed (lady owner if possible). Then modify engine, car properly.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

^^^Agreed. By a completely stock car.^^^ then you don't have to sort out someone else's BS mess. Be aware of the great deal on a Skyline.

Comment

Definitely agree...my car has under 80,000KM on it and is fairly stock aside from intakes/exhaust. It's been extremely reliable to this point and hasn't had any major issues..to this date I think all I had fail on me was the fuel pump. Treat it right, follow the service intervals, and make sure its well equipped for any abuse you throw at it.
              97' R33 GT-R Vspec
              Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

Ideally 30,000-60,000km is best (not cheap to buy, but over 100,000km is where alot of parts need replacing, rebuilding, like rebuilding auxilaries, changing wheel bearings, cambelt, waterpump, rebuilding engine, etc) and yes, buy a stock car or at least with intake, exhaust mods as mentioned above. Retuneable ECU is handy as well (retuned to local conditions, fuel).

If want a modified car, buy one, but expect to replace parts that are worn out like internals of gearboxes (bearings, seals, synchro's etc), rebuild engine, etc. Starts to add up very quickly.

Raceteams usually have spare engines, driveshaft's, suspension arms, gearboxes, etc. Easy for them to refresh a car after each race if they need to. Just look at the amount of spares Nismo had for 24 hour race in Japan with R35 GTR.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I boutght my '93 R33 as a year-round daily driver.... So I searched the internet hi and low, and read every thread I could find about the reliability of Skylines before taking the plunge.

What I gathered is, that if they are in stock form, non-thrashed, and maintained properly... Skylines are pretty much bullet proof even at twenty years old.

However at 20 years old and/or high km's... Maintaining these cars properly gets expensive. There is a lot to be done. Especially mine cause it just rolled over 200km. But finding parts or skilled mechanics have not been an issue in Toronto.

You should be looking for a stock Skyline that's had one Canadian owner, that is mature / older.

Also if it's a daily driver and your on any kind of budget. I would suggest a single Turbo non-GTR. I've read on a couple car forums, the RB25DET makes a more reliable and easier to maintain daily driver than the RB26DETT. Then again, just cause i read it somewhere doesn't make is 100% true.

Anyway... mine is at 200,000km drives perfect, pulls like new, burns no oil, ect. God willing things will stay that way.

Good luck with your search, be patient, don't rush. Other Skylines will come up for sale over time. Or you may consider importing your own.

What's your initial budget like? As far as price range?

Also in Calgary you won't have the terrible insurance issues.... If you were in Ontario I would say never try and daily drive a RHD unless you have an extreme passion for these cars. lol.
                  www.artpal.com/philbrick

Comment

Just stance it out, intake, exhaust , bov, FMIC and call it done. Would make a great dd.

Otherwise take out another mortgage on your house now and start spending lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X