Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with your Skyline

so trip much skyline jdm wow
    Last edited by Stardust; 06-10-2014, 05:49 PM.

Just set your timing back 3 deg VIA the CAS and dont worry about it. Chances are you could get away with 91 with no issues because most tuners in AB are really concervative for some reason. Bring a spare CAS and maybe a couple of coils if yours are unknown. A ignitor and some fluids would also be a good idea. Thats about it for Skyline specific...as with any older car I always bring a small floor jack to supliment the one you already have and a full set of tools...that has saved my asss more than a few times.

I have never had an issue with my GTR on any of the many 1000+km road trips I have done.

Jon.
    Last edited by Dragon Humper; 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Did about 4700km across 14 days last summer. In terms of preparation I would describe mine as you don't want to know. It worked out great! Ottawa, Quebec City, more north, Fredericton, St. John's, PEI, state park, small town, Boston, NYC, a few more state parks, Buffalo and then home was the approximate route

Comment

In 2011 I went from Calgary to San Francisco and Vegas on the way back. About 5500km I think. Only issue was on the last day of the trip I blew a turbo gasket (turns out half the bolts hadn't been tightened by some Japanese mechanic). Changed all the fluids before but that was about it as far as prep

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
          Just set your timing back 3 deg VIA the CAS and dont worry about it.
          Dropping the boost level is the best way. CAS is the base timing and should never be adjusted unless you adjust an adjustable camgear. Adjusting CAS incorrectly can cause flat spots, knock, etc.

Stock ECU has 2x sets of maps, one set for high octane gas, one set for low octane gas (knock maps). If ECU detect's knock via knock sensor on side of engine, it will automatically adjust by pulling ignition timing, running engine richer to stop the engine from knocking. Car manufacturers made it that way to take into account using low octane or encountering bad batches of gas (does happen).

Make sure all fluids on car have been replaced before a long trip and tighten, check intake hose clamps, etc. Usual checks that you do before taking a car to a racetrack.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Unless you've done too many poor modifications and haven't properly maintained your car you won't have any issues. I've done two write ups on here supporting the reliability of these cars IF YOU MAINTAIN THEM.
            Enjoy the drive (because that's a beautiful one) and don't worry about your car.
            ... get CAA

Comment

Baa.....I drove my car around with the CAS backed off 5 deg for about 2 months before I managed to get a Commander to see what the tune looked like. I had zero issues with driveability, just power was off across the board..which is too be expected. The only thing the timing backed off will do is kill you fuel mileage by about 1-3 mpg. If you dont want to do that then just bring a couple of gallons of Tolulene with you and put in 2 litres per fill up and you will be back up to 94 with a load of 91 and "the juice".

Jon.
              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

2 summers ago i did 3000kms in 5 days. no problems at all. just checked the car over good and made sure everything was proper on the car. doing that trip again this summer
                Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

I am tuned on 94 and runs fine with shell 91, 89 and 87. I have an aftermarket knock amp and ecu to allow me to run different fuels without problems. Then again, my awesome tune allows me to dip into the high 9 AFR on 94…. lmao
                  No build thread.
                  1991 nissan
                  El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by sb119 View Post
                    Only issue was on the last day of the trip I blew a turbo gasket (turns out half the bolts hadn't been tightened by some Japanese mechanic).
                    That's from heat expansion and consequently contraction found in twenty year old cars that makes the bolts come loose. My turbine inlet bolts I took off by hand when I did the manifold studs. Hence the lock plates on those. Maintenance is key, I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not in this case. Lock plate was used properly but the inboard bolts hadn't been tightened enough

Comment

I drove my r32 from Winnipeg to Cranbrook this past summer, trunk and back seat full of my stuff cause i was moving. Even being loaded down, it did great! Did the usual, oil change, check all fluids, give everything under the hood a good check over. 2.5 tanks for 1600+ kms, not bad at all for a twin turbo 6...

Comment

Originally posted by sb119 View Post
                          Not in this case. Lock plate was used properly but the inboard bolts hadn't been tightened enough

Bah...it is hard to torque those even with adapter wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

last year I flew to Ontario and bought a modded GTR then drove it over 4500km from Niagara Falls to Alberta over 8days. Asked the seller to change all the fluids before I got there and he even changed some coolant hoses. Car was amazing until I got a bad tank of gas in nowhere's land northern Ontario and fouled the plugs. I should have bought jerry cans of 94 and spare spark plugs, lesson learned. Luckily I had CAA got towed 2hours to city where they had spark plugs in stock and then proceeded to use my small tool kit I brought in my carryon to change the spark plugs and I made it the rest of the way without trouble.

in summary:
                            - change fluids
                            - do general maintenance
                            - have CAA
                            - bring extra parts
                            - bring tools
                            - bring jerry cans for 94
                            Last edited by Special_K; 02-10-2014, 02:12 PM.
                            BNR32, AE86, MX73(project for sale), RN130

Comment

1000 kms is nothing. How much of a POS do you think these cars are?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X