No announcement yet.

"kissed" a curb, could use some advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "kissed" a curb, could use some advice.

Well it hasnt taken me long Smashed a curb last night and could use some input on what i do. Car is a 1999 r34 GTT Both front and back passenger side wheels got beat up, but more importantly. Both lower control arms (front and back) have bent, a long with the tie rods. In the rear the subframe has a minor looking bend right where the lower control arm attaches to it behind the wheel. Now with that being said. I want to keep the car, so fixing this is my goal. I have full insurance, including collision, so do i bother with going to my insurance, or do i order some parts, fix what is visually broken and go from there? Im no mechanic but i know how to turn a wrench. Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks

Put on chassis alignment machine and make sure the chassis is straight. If straight, then replace the broken parts.

From what I understand, the monoque chassis is designed to crumble in a crash to absorb the energy of the crash, but make it isn't bent a bit around where the subframe mounts to chassis.
    Last edited by Skym; 09-20-2014, 07:44 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

wtf were you doing to hit both wheels like that?
      Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

That sus man. I hope you get the kinks worked out. You just have to make a game plan and line up your resources.

Comment

Originally posted by h4X6 View Post
          wtf were you doing to hit both wheels like that?
          Having a wee bit too much fun methinks....

Jon.
          Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post

Jon.
            you'd be correct... now im just trying to decide if i do this all on my own, with the hope its only minor fixes, upgrade/put in the parts i want to put in. OR see what my insurance company will do. has anyone ever tried to go that route?

Comment

Dont even entertain insurance...they will write the car off just to not have to deal with it. Fix it yourself with aftermarket arms if need be and remember the sting of the bill well.

Jon.
              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
                Hitting curbs doesn't sound like fun to me. But I'm starting to understand why no one wants to insure these cars
                92 GTS-4

Comment

Oh...I'm sure he has having a hoot right up untill then. Another reason to fix it yourself. The less we come to them to fix "vigorous user error" the more apt they will be to fix a legit "normal use" issue and not just write the car off.

Jon.
                  Last edited by Dragon Humper; 09-24-2014, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I did something close to the same a little while ago my knuckle bearings were shot after it happened also upper and lower control arms in the back and the lower in the front. And my TC rod in the front was hooped as well. I took it to a mechanic In Vancouver for the same reason i didnt know if that was all that was wrong with it, and he helped me out a bunch but it wasn't too much of a hassle after it was all said and done. Insurance does everything they can to get a rhd written off. All the control arms I did myself but the bearings I let the mechanic handle. It wasn't too hard fixing it but sourcing the parts was a little tricky. Good luck man, don't let a little curb rash destroy the Dream.
                    I go hard on the rice. 🍚

Comment

rwd and snow does not go together... even if you say you have winter tires on because snow always win. well I do not need to point that out now, anyway I hope you get your car fixed.

Comment

You're probably not looking to spend too much money so first make sure you know how suspension works, fix whatever looks damaged. Drive the car, if it drives straight should be good. If not you might need alignment or it may be further damage. As long as the chassis is fine you wont have to write the car off.

Comment

Working...
                        X