Torx screw stripped and on pretty tight, help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torx screw stripped and on pretty tight, help please

As part of my project on my car, I am swapping the R34 GTT steering wheel airbag with the S15 Airbag, I know that I could just swap the steering wheel, the thing is mine is auto and the steering wheel has the shift buttons.

Anyway, I tried unscrewing the torx screw that's holding the airbag in the frame, but its on there pretty tight and I ended stripping the screw, instruction link below. Anyone has idea or advise they can share?

Here is the link on the instruction

Skyline R34 Remove and Replace Steering Wheel & Airbag & Resetting Airbag Alarm - Les Lothringer's Approach to Replacing R34 Skyline Steering Wheel & Airbag & Resetting Airbag Alarm. May be applicable to similar Skyline models. This is an R34 GT4 manual. - Duration: About one hour...

I am thinking of using a screw extractor, but I got to loosen up that screw first. Tho I am sure of this idea
    Last edited by 403SKYLINEGTT; 01-28-2015, 08:33 PM.

Drill a small hole in the center of the Torx screw, maybe a #40 bit. Make sure to drill as straight as possible so you don't go through the side of the screw. Once you drill the hole deep enough that the Extractor doesn't bottom out, lightly tap the extractor into the hole with a hammer. Turn the extractor counter-clockwise and it should come out. If the extractor wont grip it strong enough then remove the extractor and drill a little deeper and try again. After that if you still cant get it out, use a punch that is the same size as the hole, snap the head off, extract the rest of the screw once its all apart.

Cheers
    Last edited by R32_Shawno; 01-29-2015, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I would try the center punch method. Notch divot offside of the head and with the center punch tilted in the right direction to loosen it, tap it out with a hammer. Usually works for me unless the head is mangled.
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Sorry I forgot that its a tampered torx screw

Comment

Been there done that. If drilling and extracting don't work. Get a torx bit a little bit over size and hammer it in. Worked like a charm for me. Extracting wasn't as effective for me as those screws are hardened and while drilling it makes them heat up and harden more. I would remove wheel and hub off of steering shaft prior hammering. The bits I used were of the 1/4" type that you can fit into a drill or a screwdriver that takes bits. Hope this help

Comment

Hammering would be the last resort, as I do not want to damage the airbag so I can still use it. I am going to try drilling the screw off and just cut off the head with a dremel. I did try to make a slit to fit a flat head screw drive, hmm well I screw up on that one, so drilling down that screw and cutting the off is the next thing Ill try.

Comment

How did you strip a torx head... Extractor will work. Thankfully you're just replacing your steering wheel and not working on serious stuff :P
              Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
              Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
              Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
              Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
              Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
              White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
              lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
                How did you strip a torx head... Extractor will work. Thankfully you're just replacing your steering wheel and not working on serious stuff :P
                I am swapping the airbag with the S15 airbag, and its also the tamper torx screw. I tried using the extractor, but the little dot in the middle its getting in way, but right now the screw its so messed up that I have to choice that I have to drill through the screw and maybe dremel out the head. The bolt in there are screwed in really tight and youre in awkward spot trying to unscrew the bolt and the steering wheel moves so does the airbag, thats why its pretty to stripped the bolt
                Last edited by 403SKYLINEGTT; 01-30-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Sooo;was this a security Torx or a security Hex that you stripped? They make both and they don't mingle well...

Comment

Originally posted by jimbojones View Post
                    Sooo;was this a security Torx or a security Hex that you stripped? They make both and they don't mingle well...
                    reason that its so hard to unscrew and you ending up stripping them is because they wrap the thread with tamper seal, which get the screw really tight. Best way is drill out the head at this point

Comment

I always use left hand drill bits while drilling out screws helps lossen or at least doesn't make it tighter. Napa has carbide ones for a good price.

Comment

Working...
                      X