Problem crossing Lewiston/Buffalo crossing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem crossing Lewiston/Buffalo crossing

So last weekend I finally had the time to trailer my 1990 GTST home to the states. When I got to the Lewiston crossing on my way back with my car on the trailer, it was around noon so there was a good amount of vehicles in line. We waited about 15 minutes before we made it about 3 cars away from the booth, when I noticed 3 officers walking towards the truck. It didn't take long before the oldest guy started shaking his head laughing and saying "rhd" "rhd" "that thing isn't coming in". I politely told him I had all the information on the car and I was bringing it over under the 25 Year Exemption Rule. He continued to laugh and tell me rhd vehicles aren't allowed in the USA along with "the wiring isn't right" . He proceeded to follow the truck all the way to the booth, and into Customs.

Once inside I noticed he was the Supervisor and the other 2 were Officers, first he looked over all my paperwork which consisted of; the bill of sale, Canadian ownership title, NissanFAST printout of production month and year, insurance cards issued for the skyline, EPA form 3520-1 with code "E" box checked, and the NHTSA form completed, he was not convinced. He then told me that the 25 year rule doesn't apply to Skylines because they're rhd, and that his computer was telling him the only skylines allowed in the states are the 96/97 R33's. I explained to him why there were only 2 years of skylines allowed in without the 25 year exemption rule. At this point he left and had the two officers "deal with me".

One guy just slouched back in his chair watching as the other officer was telling me the same nonsense as the first guy. After about 15 minutes of going back and forth he told me if I don't stop trying to tell them it's legal he's going to have the car "seized and crushed into a ball of scrap". He told me I needed to take the car back into Canada and leave it there until I had a letter from DOT saying the car is legal and a receipt for all the safety changes that "need to be made" to bring it across. At that point I wanted to rip his head off but I told him I'd drop it off at my aunts and come back another time to get it. The officer told me if I tried going through any other crossing with the skyline on the trailer it would definitely get seized and scrapped. WHAT THE HELL DO I NEED TO BRING MY CAR HOME??

I'd call another border crossing and talk to someone else. Explain what you have and see what they say. Chances are you'll get someone normal and it won't be a problem. Get that persons name and bring it to that border crossing. That's what I'd try, isn't there 2 or 3 crossing points at Buffalo or just Lewiston and peace bridge?

Comment

What he said. Try rainbow or peace bridge but call ahead, get an officer's name and maybe some kind of faxed documentation or something to bring with you specifically from that crossing. The guys at Lewiston seem to be kind of pricks most of the time. I've had a few issues with other completely legal cars and other ridiculous hassles over the years for absolutely no reason.
      Pistol packin Monkey drinkin no money bum

Comment

Alright thank you both I'm going up this weekend to move the car into storage, so I may just stop into customs on my way home and see if I can talk to someone with a brain. I'll definitely give another crossing a call monday if I don't get anywhere tomorrow.

Comment

Law Enforcement is so clueless about our cars sometimes... And they fear what they don't know.

Whether its at a ride check or outside a donut shop, I've had a few Cops that noticed the RHD and proceeded to ask me "Is that legal?"

Next time they ask me that I should shrug and be like "Probably not."

I know my post doesn't really help you... But sorry to hear about all your issues.
          www.artpal.com/philbrick

Comment

So I think I'm going to use a customs broker for my next trip just to be on the safe side. Does anyone have any recommendations on whom I could use in the Buffalo area? I appreciate all the advice everyone has provided!

Comment

The document you need to show RHD "approval" by the NHTSA is Here.

It's called the List of Nonconforming Vehicles Eligible for Importation, and contains this quote:

Vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where the initials “RHD,” signifying right-hand drive, appear in the model type column. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles.
              I carry a whole binder of carefully prepared documents in my US-imported Skyline. I made color double-sided copies of every import document, and every relevant NHTSA/DOT/EPA code. I made this coversheet as well. It's helped me countless times when I've been pulled over by under-informed law enforcement officers.

I recommend that you do the same.
              Last edited by MB38; 05-22-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Okay that document does look helpful but I'm thinking they're going to read where it says "imported by or through a registered importer" and use that against me. An RI isn't needed right?

Comment

Nope, you don't need a RI.

Comment

I was also told by the supervisor I would need a customs bond because it's worth over 2500$. Is this true or does the skyline not fall under the "commercial purpose" category

Comment

what ever happened with this? im hoping to pick up a car in montreal this weekend, i will not be using the border crossing you did. I would still like to be as prepared as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X