Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why arnt I seeing too many R34's around??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why arnt I seeing too many R34's around??

I'm thinking of picking up and R34 GTR and I thought to myself.... why arnt I seeing too many of these....

Is it the price? But that seems weird since I know R32 guys that have an additional 15-20 into their car on top of the purchase price.... Insurance maybe?

I live in Edmonton Alberta and I have only see/heard of three. (and this province has money!)

Also Ive only ever seen a handful for sale. A few in the deep 30's (38-39k) Then 45K seems average, and one hanging out at 60K that seems pretty built.

Is no one buying these things????
    Last edited by slowboi; 09-15-2015, 11:39 PM.

I had a similar experience in Vancouver when I bought mine in. I couldn't figure out why everybody was getting 32s instead of 34s. Granted the R34 is significantly more expensive, but there are plenty of R35s kicking around...

*shrug*

Comment

no one wants to drop that kind of money on a 15yr old car. The people who are buying these car like yourselves are definitely enthusiasts. That should give you a clear indication of who has a passion for these cars vs. fanboys. On the other hand though there are probably lots of Bnr32 guys that are pot committed to their builds and definitely wish they could get an r34 *me*
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

I suppose I'm used to the pricing down in the US. Entry-level pricing for an R32 is about $20k USD. The money for a nice R32 in the US would get you a reasonable R34 in Canada.

For reference, my actual costs of my R34 were about $37k CAD, which is $28,000 USD. That's a nice R32 and a set of wheels in the US.

With all of those numbers as my reference for when I moved to Canada, I figured I'd see R34s everywhere. For reference, Motorex R34s [aka US legal R34s] tend to go for about $120,000 USD.
        Last edited by MB38; 09-16-2015, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I had a similar experience in Vancouver when I bought mine in. I couldn't figure out why everybody was getting 32s instead of 34s. Granted the R34 is significantly more expensive, but there are plenty of R35s kicking around...
          .... the R35 thing kind of blows my mind too, there are a ton of R35's in Alberta.... I see them everyday....

Maybe its a combo of the price, no warranty, and the fact its RHD?

To me if you like JDM stuff this a a halo car... what else is there .... LFA maybe?

Im a hard core RHD enthusiast, I just though as soon as the GTR's were legal I'd be tripping over them....

Comment

r34 are nice looking but the r32 is the real raw gtr.

Rather dump 20k into a 32 than buy an 34 for the same total price.
            No build thread.
            1991 nissan
            El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

There's 3 GT-R's that I've seen this year in Edmonton. . .a lot of GT-T's though. . .my guess is that there are better options for those people willing to spend that much on a used car?

I've seen a white one, Grey/Silver one, and a Blue one. . .heard of a Yellow one, haven't seen it though. . .

Something Slowboi mentioned. . .the fact that it's RHD, a lot of insurance companies have quietly stopped insuring RHD's as well. . .

Comment

Because 99.9% of people who can afford putting 50g CASH on a used car have common sense? haha

Dont forget its 50g cash. There are way better things you could invest this cash in than in something that loses its value the moment you start putting mealage on it. Like downpayment on the house or land for example.

People dont like to see cash go. I can drive away in a new Lexus, BMW or R35 for 3g on sign in from a dealership today. I can actually test drive a car, have warranty, normal full coverage insurance, not being a sore spot in the eye of the local cops cavalery and enjoy all the creature comfort new technology has to offer. I also dont need to live with my choice forever. I can lease any of those and move on to something new and exciting in just two-three years.

You can argue - but it will cost so much more in 20 years as collectable...yeah, no. Dont fool yourself. Hakosuka is where the collectable value. Not 32/3/4. FnF/P.Walker hype will die and be forgoten in 10 years or so and unless someone realllllly still have hard on that era - it will be impossible to even return your money you paid for r34 - let alone top it.

If R34 is your all times dream car and only thinking of it makes you cream - buy it and enjoy. But dont try to justify your choice with any logical excuse. There are absolutely NONE to support it.
                Last edited by Stardust; 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I get the cash arguement, but some people dont care about return on investment and would just like the experience of ownership.

You can argue - but it will cost so much more in 20 years as collectable...yeah, no. Dont fool yourself. Hakosuka is where the collectable value. Not 32/3/4. FnF/P.Walker hype will die and be forgoten in 10 years or so and unless someone realllllly still have hard on that era - it will be impossible to even return your money you paid for r34 - let alone top it.
                  Um, hako's were a good investment 10 years ago. That was if you had a crystal ball. Will they still go up? Yeah, probably, but not like they have. Thats like saying google stock or air cooled 911's are a good investment. If you want to make a little money sure, but the bubble has already passed.

I dont look at cars as an investment anyway, they are an expense because they are my hobbie.
                  Last edited by slowboi; 09-20-2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Any of these cars are a good investment if you're planning on selling to the American market. You can have an R34 for $35k these days. They'll be nearly doubling in value [perhaps more?] once they're US legal.

The R33s will spike a bit, but the 34s will go bananas.

Comment

Any of these cars are a good investment if you're planning on selling to the American market. You can have an R34 for $35k these days. They'll be nearly doubling in value [perhaps more?] once they're US legal.
                      I tend to agree with this, i think the fact that motorex was actually able to sell cars at the price they did shows what the us market can bear. I could see selling a nice r34 gtr to the usa in 20-25 years for twice what we pay now.

Comment

Originally posted by slowboi View Post
                        I tend to agree with this, i think the fact that motorex was actually able to sell cars at the price they did shows what the us market can bear. I could see selling a nice r34 gtr to the usa in 20-25 years for twice what we pay now.
                        And again - your way of thinking is flawed since there are plenty of other attractive options to invest in todays market than maintain r34 in prestine condition for 20 years in hopes to sell it to US. The return on those options can be had in more relaxed ways that will at least quadriple 30-50g in 20 years.

And this takes us back to my previous post and your original question - taking into account relatively small Skyline enthusiasts community (even compare to muscle or evo/sti communities), shed all those who cannot afford to pay this type of cash, shed all those who can afford it but see other ways to proceed with that type of cash (see above) - this leaves you with a handfull of people who rules common sense out purely in favor of owning a dream car that for them happens to be the R34. And thats why you dont see too many of those around.
                        Last edited by Stardust; 09-21-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I was simply commenting on another persons opinion, like i said before im not looking for an investment. Im a car enthusiast and i recognize my hobbie costs money. I want the experience of ownership and if that happens to cost me money ....I Dont Care! You can go ahead and make sterile boring decisions under the guise of common sense, ill choose passion when it comes to cars thank you very much.

I have no desire to go through life forfieting the things that make me happy to save a few dollars for what? My family and i are comfortable and there is such a thing as having enough money.

The reason i posted this question was to get points of view, you made your point, obviously ill agree to disagree.

Comment

You sound upset lol. You do however agree with me by saying that you will pay for passion no matter what. Which puts you in a small category of people just like I mentioned in my previous post.

In any case, since we have blue, silver, yellow and white r34gtr's in Edmonton already - it leaves you with milenium jade for color choice which in my opinion is the sexiest color for R34 Hope to see you in UC when you pick it up.

Comment

Im not upset, just clairifying things for your reading comp. i dont hang at uc, i have better things to do than hardpark

There are more than a dizen colors:

I was thinking red black or white
                              Last edited by slowboi; 09-21-2015, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X