Intake kits/ Pipe options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake kits/ Pipe options

Hey guys just wondering what you guys like to run for intake kits and or pipe off your turbos. Seems like any easy question I know, heres the catch. You did a turbo swap and you need 3 inch or possibly 4 for your inlet. I still in a nipple for a vaccum for catch can but not the bov.

Possible options I have considered:

Super suction = http://justjap.com/store/images/P/apexisuctionkit.jpg

Custom = http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/u...7926_thumb.jpg

Or just buy a piece or 3 inch pipe, snip of a nipple weld it on and buy intercooler pipes hoses to fit.

I would like to keep my money in Canada, but not pay a stupid amount for a custom one. Im not a welder or I would try and fab one up myself.

Lets hear what you guys think.
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

i have the apexi ss kit

no regrets
    love it

Comment

I just purchased 5 autobahn88 kits, basically just the piping leading from intake to Turbo.. $130.00 shipped will be in stock 2 weeks from today.
      2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
      1969 Cooper S. Restored
      1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

Perfect! Sorry for the random pms Braden. Been on the blackberry not computer. I will take two kits off your hands. Color doesn't really matter.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

I am willing to bet that this could be custom fabbed by a local shop for not much money at all. I don't know **** about welding/fabrication, however it is a very short pipe, that can probably be made out of several pieces of pre-bent metal/aluminum/whatever that can be cut to match the car. Those sectional cut pipes that all the Japanese companies seem to fab look like it would take forever, but some pre-bent stuff would be easy. I think.

Use aliminum, it's lighter and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it will also resist engine bay heat... I hope so, anyway, as I'm planning on making an airbox to cover my filter out of something that rejects heat, because sucking engine bay air that's effin' hot, sucks.

Hell you could probably do it yourself, and just use silicone couplers and clamps to hold it together *

* Don't do this, our cars are already boost leak happy as it is :P

Comment

Aluminium does not resist heat... It desipates (Spelling is ****, I know) heat. You've got the good ideal thought.
            03 lancer dead
            68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
            05 chevy silverado L33
            2010 crv Wife's ride
            1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Past experience has shown me that wrapping your exhaust manifolds in manifold tape reduces underhood heat ALOT , also there are turbo wraps on the market that help contain the heat from the exhaust side of the turbo.

I replaced the 9b turbos in my mitsu 3000gt with 13g ones , that coupled with a larger thicker rad left no room for the original heat shrouds. The heat from the front turbo was enough to soften and distort the plastic of the fan shrouds.

Wrapping the tubular manifolds and turbos did the trick.

This will also help keep more heat in the exhaust system being transfered to the cat for when you have to pass an emissions test. Ideally i would wrap the entire exhaust manifold and downpipe assembly to the cat (or test pipe) for this reason.

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
              I am willing to bet that this could be custom fabbed by a local shop for not much money at all. I don't know **** about welding/fabrication, however it is a very short pipe, that can probably be made out of several pieces of pre-bent metal/aluminum/whatever that can be cut to match the car. Those sectional cut pipes that all the Japanese companies seem to fab look like it would take forever, but some pre-bent stuff would be easy. I think.

Use aliminum, it's lighter and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it will also resist engine bay heat... I hope so, anyway, as I'm planning on making an airbox to cover my filter out of something that rejects heat, because sucking engine bay air that's effin' hot, sucks.

Hell you could probably do it yourself, and just use silicone couplers and clamps to hold it together *

* Don't do this, our cars are already boost leak happy as it is :P

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
                Past experience has shown me that wrapping your exhaust manifolds in manifold tape reduces underhood heat ALOT , also there are turbo wraps on the market that help contain the heat from the exhaust side of the turbo.

I replaced the 9b turbos in my mitsu 3000gt with 13g ones , that coupled with a larger thicker rad left no room for the original heat shrouds. The heat from the front turbo was enough to soften and distort the plastic of the fan shrouds.

Wrapping the tubular manifolds and turbos did the trick.

This will also help keep more heat in the exhaust system being transfered to the cat for when you have to pass an emissions test. Ideally i would wrap the entire exhaust manifold and downpipe assembly to the cat (or test pipe) for this reason.
                What about ceramic coating? I'd rather get everything ceramic coated, I'm not really a fan of how exhaust heatwrap looks. Though I suppose I could deal with it if ceramic coating is stupid expensive, or something :P

Comment

Your probably right Dread but I can't weld and both my car and a buddies need this even if its 2 weeks away. Not shops that I have check want to help me out in Grande Prairie so far. Hey Skym good call on the wrap. You think if I powder coat the intake pipe that would help?

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Supraclean
                    Your probably right Dread but I can't weld and both my car and a buddies need this even if its 2 weeks away. Not shops that I have check want to help me out in Grande Prairie so far. Hey Skym good call on the wrap. You think if I powder coat the intake pipe that would help?
                    Maybe wrap it in tinfoil :P Powercoating it sounds like it would add to the expense of it I don't know how well it actually works, but you see guys who have wrapped their intake piping with shiny material, I assume trying to keep the heat away from the charge air? Who knows if it works or not :wink:

Comment

The intake is going to suck in hot air from the engine bay if you use an open element filter, it's the reason the car mnanufacturers use a plastic molded filter box that draws air from the front of the car unaffected by the engine heat.

The air entering into the intake manifold does not increase in heat because it's not in their long enough for thermal transfer to take place. The intercooler system if good enough should remove the majority of the heat before it reaches the intake plenum.

You have to realise though that the hotter the air entering the intercooler system means you get a preassure drop the more it cools the charge because the air mass contracts reducing boost slightly .

Ideally the intercooler should be efficient enough to drop the air charge to the same temperature as the outside ambient air temperature once boosted by the turbo. Hot air entering the combustion chamber is bad (contributes to detonation).

With this in mind its beneficial if you have to run open air filters to reduce underhood temperatures as much as possible . Exhaust wrapping , extra ducting from the front of the vehicle and a hood with open vents will make a huge difference.

On my 3000 gt we mounted a large diffuser under the front and opened up the vents in the hood effectively stopping incoming air from escaping under the front of the engine bay, causing the engine compartment to preassurize and evacuate the heat out of the hood vents taking with it the heat from the turbos. Too bad it's illegal to run with no hood on the car

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
                      Maybe wrap it in tinfoil :P Powercoating it sounds like it would add to the expense of it I don't know how well it actually works, but you see guys who have wrapped their intake piping with shiny material, I assume trying to keep the heat away from the charge air? Who knows if it works or not :wink:

Comment

Working...
                      X