Roll center adjusters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll center adjusters

Whose running these, and are they good or bad? I hear mixed opinions on them.

My car is fairly low, id like to go about an inch lower and I dont mind sacraficing a little suspension geo because its a street car and I want it to look cool. But I wouldnt mind keeping a decent handling set up.

As well for those that do have roll center adjusters, are you running stock or after market front camber arms? I hear I couldnt run stock arms because they dont have enough adjustment because the roll center pieces will camber my wheels way out.

thanks
    Jesse
    1990 HCR32
    2006 Chev Silverado

i think i might be the only one on here who runs roll center adjusters, Moonface's to be exact
    haven't driven the car with them yet,

but yeah, i got adjustable upper control arms, these things mess up the alignment geo pretty much to correct the roll center at lower ride heigt

you can read about my front suspension setup here;
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/f27/fran...tml#post392653
    Last edited by frankiman; 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM.
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

See how the car drives when you drop it. The roll center issue caused by lowering the car makes a larger moment between the CG and the roll center. This larger moment makes the car have more body roll, this can be minimized with coilovers (and/or) sway-bars. The roll center adjuster helps to minimize it but its all personal preference. Some people will like the roll center adjuster, some won't. The next thing affected when lowering a car is the steering rack, the tie-rods end up having an angle and this causes bump steer. Like I said its personal preference. Some will like it, some won't. It also depends on your setup (coilovers, control arms, bushings, and swaybars). I'd lower the car, see how you like it and then see what you can do. Lowering your car lowers the CG which will make the car handle differently also (better usually).

Comment

Well as I said its pretty low now and I have fairly soft coilovers by most standards (6kg, 5kg) but body roll isnt much of a problem in my eyes. I am running a rear sway bar (solid 28mm) but I would like to get a front one as well so maybe I will get a front sway bar prior to considering roll center adjusters as if I do get some I will most likely need to do fuca's as well. I can determine how good or bad the body roll is with a front sway bar installed and go from there.

On your second note, I have been reading into the bump steer problem and the only fix seems to be aftermarket tie rod ends that seem to be kind of expensive in my eyes. But Im sure they would defiantly help. Is there any other fixes for bump steer? As this seems to be a more pressing issue to me then body roll.

Thanks again for all the info Frankie, please be sure to put down an update once you track the car (as im sure you will) and give some reviews on your parts.
        Jesse
        1990 HCR32
        2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

...problem #1 with original post: you have a GTS, which does not have the same front spindle as the GTR. The only RCA correction method with a GTS is a roll-center-correcting lower balljoint(no relatively simple, and thus cheaper, bolt-on plate here), and the only one I've seen of those that actually solves the issue is from moonface which costs so much money(for frickin balljoints) I won't even quote it here.

basically, if the effects on handling from lowering bother you, get correcting outter tie-rods and call it a day, if anything. My gts is as low as the coils will go and I just barely notice any bumpsteer, and the bodyroll is minimal at most. (with stock everything, less gtr rear sway and spaced inner-tie-rods)

oh also, if you do get RCA's, static camber will be changed by tenths of a degree at most; 1, no need really to correct for it 2, the stock fuca has zero adjustment, not just 'not enough'. the thing is a solid piece with no cambolts, so if the camber is a concern, you will need aftermarket arms.
          Last edited by plankworx; 08-20-2010, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X