Interesting read for those of you questioning the "BOV or no BOV" movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting read for those of you questioning the "BOV or no BOV" movement

Covers his opinion on hybrid/hiflow turbo setups..

Good read! And basically reiterated my BOV perspective but in more defined terms..

What are some areas where people often make errors modifying their turbo car?

"The classic blow-off valve.

"The blow-off valve is designed as an emissions control device for OE manufacturers. It came about when smaller engines made more and more power using larger turbochargers and bigger intercoolers. As you close the throttle, the build up of pressure and the larger volume inside the intake has to go somewhere; it can't go into the engine because the throttle is shut. Instead, it has to do a U-turn and it comes screaming out the airflow meter. That creates the 'gobble-goggle' sound.

"The gobble-gobble sound is something the public has grown to love.

"The airflow meter is not all that smart and does not realise the air is going in the wrong direction; it therefore measures the air twice (once going into the engine and again going out in the wrong direction). The computer now tips in twice as much fuel as what's required, making it run rich - making it not pass emissions.

"Therefore, manufacturers fit a blow-off valve - or a recirculation valve as they are actually called. A recirculation valve opens when it senses manifold vacuum, returning the air trapped at the throttle body to between the airflow meter and the turbocharger. As such, the airflow meter does not take a double reading - the car now passes emissions.

"Unfortunately, we've had people ringing up and wanting the "audible gear change alarm".

""What audible gear change alarm?" we ask. "You know, when the Sierras were running around and just when they went to change gear it used to go whoda-whoda-whoda" they tell us.

""No pal, that is the dump valve..."

"Some people do think that at the absolute upper extremes of boost levels - about 30-plus pounds - the blow-off valve does, somewhat, save the compressor wheel and shaft from trying to rotate backwards. It doesn't actually rotate backwards at all - all you're hearing is cavitation. What happens is, you've shut the throttle, the turbocharger is doing 100,000 rpm and now has a boost spike of 50 psi. Because it's working in a higher region than what it's designed for, it slips; it basically does a skid like a car tyre does when you dump the clutch. That's the noise you hear - the whoof-whoof-whoof is the air doing a skid."

Is there any performance gain to a blow-off valve?

"We've tested one on a manual gearbox performance car run at Winton Raceway. I think it was running 1 minute 40s back then, but it would lose 2 seconds a lap putting the gobble-gobble valve on. When you look at data acquisition, what you find is - as you change gear - the blow-off valve dumps all the pressure built up through the intercooler and pipes. It then goes back to zero manifold vacuum when you get back on the throttle, you have to build all that boost back up.

"The fact that people think that they keep the turbo spinning is a problem. The people that suggest this have never had an engine on the dyno and never had a turbo tacho in their hands. What people don't realise is, when you shut off the throttle, you shut off the air supply to the engine - this shuts off the exhaust gasses coming out of the engine. When there is no exhaust flow, there is no energy to keep the turbine spinning - the turbo slows down at an alarming rate.

"If you change gears at quite a good speed, you can actually get a boost spike on changes; if you're trying to hold a constant 30 pounds, when you do a racing change you'll get 32-33 pounds when you crack the throttle open again. If everything's working well, you've got a full head of stream waiting to go into the throttle as soon as it's opened.

"I've done this on a rally car and it was quicker through every timed section without a dump valve. You'll never hear a World Rally Car going pssshhht because they don't use a dump valve - you get the woof-woof-woof noise instead."

What are your views on custom modified 'high flow' turbos?

"I've sort of gone away from that now - I typically buy what's off the Garrett shelf. Anyone that thinks little Simon in Bayswater is going to be smarter and have a bigger development program than Garrett is kidding themselves. They do make very good things available straight off the shelf, so long as you know what to ask for. We've come up with a bit of a formula of what we need for each different car.

"Because nobody's got good data acquisition or good turbo tachos, the modifiers often put incorrect things together, overspin the turbocharger and explode the compressor wheel. At that type of speed they go into the surge range then they f?*^ their thrust area. They can also stretch the back of the turbine wheel blades when they get very hot, and then there's the question of whether or not it's got a left-hand thread exhaust wheel."

How do you decide on the appropriate size for a turbo?

"As I said, everything we do now is basically to a formula - we've done the R&D and lots of testing. If you want a 400, 500, 600, 700, 800hp [Nissan] RB30 we know what it is - we go back and look at what we've used in the past. We get good correlation of data and we do lots of data acquisition."
    Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
    www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
    Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
    Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

This is good, he wrote in more of a layman style! I knew some of this information before but he did a good job at going more in depth without confusing the reader with lots of jargin!
    Originally posted by Paradis
    ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

so what now... disconnect my blitz bov's and cap them off? just run straight up no BOV at all? ....
      The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Well there's no real take home message from his write up..

Even the whole BOV emissions thing is a bit far-fetched, as i've been running no blow off for 2 years now with very little overfueling/rich conditions off throttle..

But i will say this; in my honest opinion, i dont believe blow off's are necessary. What he says is true; turbos are built to meet high pressure and rugged treatment, a simple backwash of air is of very little concern and is simply just cavitation. The blades wont physically stop and turn the other way, its nearly impossible. You're a physics student so correct me if im wrong but;

... If you fill the charge pipes with 20 psi, you're looking at an even proportion of volume throughout the intake because there is a constant draw of air. Now if you close the TB, the air stops entering the intake and the remaining volume has nowhere to go thus it searches for the quickest exit which is now your intake. Your 20 psi has now redirected and is about to remap your engine management by bypassing through the maf for a second run thus your emissions issue which makes perfect sense (enrichment due to air movement over thermister). Now the only harm that can be done in the midst of this is a boost spike which is ultimately a match between the remaining 20 psi which has not fully dissipated to, oh lets say for fun, 0.9 psi. So you have 0.9psi chilling mid shift, as you pop it into gear and dump the clutch and floor the throttle, your TB opens up. Assuming you're in the proper RPM for full spool, you'll achieve 20psi right off the bat, meaning it will now hop onto the bandwagon with your remaining 0.9 psi, spiking boost momentarily to 20.9 psi.

This creates 2 things, smoother and more powerful transition between gears (instead of starting from 0 psi in the intake piping) and an issue with overboosting ceramic exhaust wheels.

Now, if you have a well built steel wheel, well balanced shaft turbo that is meant to see a fair amount of power, you're more than set to hop on this train, there is literally nothing that can go wrong from forcing air back through, and you will literally only see gains in performance.

Those of us with ceramic turbos, well we can push it in the same manner, since the boost spike is only momentary, it isnt a full 16 psi pull for instance, its 14.7 +0.9 for a split second.

I used 0.9 only because my current setup runs the stock ceramic turbo at 14.8 psi on a regular basis. 2800 psi sees 14.8, at shift, i see a spike of 15.7. Sometimes it holds, especially in 4th, for a good haul..

Two years of NO BOV at 14.8 with 15.7 spikes with a stock RB20 turbo... It's do able... And running no BOV is a definite seat of the pants difference in shifts..
        Actually TW drove my car this summer and noticed it. Didn't even realize i had no BOV and was like, wow this thing really pulls off the shift. And it's true, it does make a difference.

Comment

replace the word volume in your above post with the word pressure and i'll happily agree.

heres my stance.

any harm?... no... I've discussed this before with people like McFly and Skym on some other forums i think, and we came to the same conclusion you just did.... it won't cause any harm to the compressor blades.... although running no BOV can be dangerous on HUGE turbo applications because of something called "On Throttle Compressor Surge" I'll post the video about it below. but regular turbo flutter, resulting from OFF throttle compressor surge, doesnt do any damage.

Video -->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU

That being said, Do I plan to run BOV-less next summer? no... and for exactly the reason u mentioned above, the air fuel mixtures get messed up for closed throttle values since the ECU reads back flow air the same as forward flow air. I think this is why some people have stalling issues when they mess around with the BOV. as for rally cars and race cars not using BOV's well it simple, they don't need to worry about stalling because they're on throttle a good portion of the time, and the car won't stall in between shifts.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCj6Spwl1CU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1 =0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCj6Spwl1CU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1 =0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>
          The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

off throttle compressor surge is fine.

Yep.

Comment

Huh, go figure! I always thought off throttle was bad. Thanks for the post! I learned quite a bit from it!
              Originally posted by kengeroo
              that's what I thought when I opened the package..
              ...don't drink and ebay
              '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
                off throttle compressor surge is fine.

Yep.
                Correct.. On throttle compressor surge - Bad.

Due to max rpm attained by turbine wheel, causes cavitation and a surging effect (Surging effect is caused by the wheel slowing/speeding up as pressure increases/decreases)

Comment

any harm?... no... I've discussed this before with people like McFly and Skym on some other forums i think, and we came to the same conclusion you just did.... it won't cause any harm to the compressor blades.... although running no BOV can be dangerous on HUGE turbo applications because of something called "On Throttle Compressor Surge" I'll post the video about it below. but regular turbo flutter, resulting from OFF throttle compressor surge, doesnt do any damage.
                  mmm no im gonna have to say thats wrong :P

No BOV on even the biggest turbo setup in the world or something we can all relate to; jet turbines, is not detrimental and does not cause "On throttle compressor surge" to any degree. As i just mentioned, on throttle surge is due to the turbine being dealt too much air than what it can handle, thus "max RPM" attained - almost like a rev limiter. A good example of on throttle compressor surge is actually a revlimiter, where it continually bounces back and forth from power to cut power to cut. The high pitch wine/chugging sound of on throttle surge is due to this; whereas it reaches max load, stalls, relaxes and reaches max load again, stalls and so forth..
                  So a BOV will not help whatsoever with on throttle compressor surge.

Also, turbine jet engines are axial flow, they're very finicky and do not require much to break down, yet never experience on throttle surge due to their setup being adequately run. Our scroll setups take much more abuse..

That being said, Do I plan to run BOV-less next summer? no... and for exactly the reason u mentioned above, the air fuel mixtures get messed up for closed throttle values since the ECU reads back flow air the same as forward flow air. I think this is why some people have stalling issues when they mess around with the BOV. as for rally cars and race cars not using BOV's well it simple, they don't need to worry about stalling because they're on throttle a good portion of the time, and the car won't stall in between shifts.
                  Sorry bud, gonna have to disagree here as well..
                  The "reuptake" of air lets say, as it passes by your AFM is only slight enough to cause a jump in enrichment. Not to mention, an enriched condition would be unlikely to yield a stall unless you're getting an insane amount of cylinder wash - but you'd be looking at <10 AFR.
                  We also have to account for the air and its velocity as it has exited the turbine. Can we prove that the remaining pressurized air volume in the charge pipes is even accountable after encountering an opposite force (the turbine). Not to mention, wouldn't we see alike conditions on the AFR gauge had we just closed the TB and encountered reuptake? From a long haul in 4th to limiter, and a shift in 2 conditions;
                  1. Quick change, with boost spike; staging the fact that air still remains pressurizing the intake system
                  2. Slow change; no boost spike, and a-typical of any BOV mounted car.. Audible off throttle compressor surge.

BOTH yield identical AFR's off throttle. Once the plate is closed, it jolts a notch rich, then full lean, and thats within half a second.
                  This is data from an AEM UEGO, which we all know isnt the quickest thing on the market. So if it can read these increments in literally half second spurts, it must say something. Not mention there is no physical feeling of enrichment, or jolting or whatsoever to indicate that condition is even immanent. W/o a wideband, we would never know.

Idle control at stop is monitored by AACV and TPS adjustment. At this point the maf has regressed TPS and AACV mapping as it is below 3000 rpm. Idle will also be flawless..

So anyways, just to reiterate; high rpm pulls and off throttle compressor surge WILL see a slight jolt in AFR's towards the rich side, however only momentarily and of no concern. I do not backfire any more than the next guy (although i wouldnt mind), and my car doesnt consume more gas due to it..

No BOV is simply an option.. im not pressing people to do it, but it is logical, and it saves money.

Comment

Not to mention BOV's just sound like SHI*! I hear soo many SSQV's in poco from in my condo. It's like I am at the zoo :P My cars with BOV's are so tight I get off throttle surge and that sounds bad ass to me! I should pull em off and sell them. My SR vert's has a tightened SSQV on it for like 5 years. I never ever hear it and turbo is still running. Had gasket go through it twice. Nothing a R&R with wd40 clean, does the job
                    ALLEN PETERSEN
                    Number (604) 961-2449
                    4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
                    RB30`s for sale!

Comment

Damnit so many good topics been thrown out on the forum lately. I bought a SSQV along with other items without research and what not. I don't know what to do come dyno day now. My car had a stinky tuned reflash for atmospheric bov and I didn't have any problems with stalling. A little on the rich side which happens a lot now.

Damn you Marc and your topics. No wonder everyone at work thinks I'm in another world, I'm thinkn about car stuff all day!
                      Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Yup this has been covered quite a couple times and pretty much everyone agrees that off throttle surge is harmless.

So we all know that atmospheric BOV's aren't the greatest since the MAF cannot gauge the amount of air dumped, but what I am wondering is what are the advantages of a BOV recirc system (stock GTR configuration) vs a BOVless configuration?

Obviously a recirc system solves the atmospheric dump problem with the MAF system since it keeps the air pressure in the intake, but what advantages would you gain in going BOVless from a stock configuration? The end result appears the be the same, maybe slightly better response between shifts?
                        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

^^
                          well instead of building a pressure spike between the throttle and the turbo during shifts, the recirc piping has like 7 litres of volume of air it can take,
                          so instead of having a boost spike which "could" blow charge piping off or damae the turbo, well the recirc piping fills up with the extra volume of air, so pressure stays relatively the same, and all that without the MAF going wild

the GTR's OEM recirc system is really well tought out and works fantastic, i wouldn't recommend modifying it at all, unless you really want that BOV pssshht noise, in hindsight i wouldn't have modded mine

right now i'm running a hybrid system
                          i got 2x HKS SSQV where the stock recirc valves go
                          and i had to take the recirc piping of for space for my p/s cooler
                          but i put a stock recirc valve on intercooler hardpipe on the passenger side of the car, with a small pipe going back into the "Y" pipe of the stock recirc system, which gives me "some" return flow/pressure between shifts and doesn't make my car run pig rich (even though its tuned)
                          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Obviously a recirc system solves the atmospheric dump problem with the MAF system since it keeps the air pressure in the intake, but what advantages would you gain in going BOVless from a stock configuration? The end result appears the be the same, maybe slightly better response between shifts?
                            The recirc system is basically there to prevent a spike in the system, like Frank said. Like was mentioned in the article, its also a preventative for enrichment on off-throttle transitions. Air will not pass back through the maf since the air is being dumped into the flow of the turbo. Since the turbos RPM hasnt fallen off the charts and is still spinning at a rate of lets say, 35,000 rpm, it's going to draw this air back through it.

Some people argue that Recirc BOVS are better than BOV-LESS because this "Excess" pressure seen in both scenarios is forced through the compressor in the SAME direction, actually SPEEDING up the turbines RPM slightly.

Whether or not this is true, i'm not sure. But if i were to give it a shot, i'd say it still slows the turbines rpm, because the moment between shifts, the turbine has reached 100,000 rpm in some cases, and falls only slightly off that. If the recirc piping pumps '7 litres of air' (probably a GTR application), by the time it has reached the turbine, its pressure has fallen to less significant numbers. When it contacts a 80,000 rpm wheel vs a 4-5 psi surge in the same direction, it's not likely to raise RPM, rather hinder it.

So i guess we can almost agree, the recirc system and a bov-less system are closely based on one another. The recirc is along the lines of its brother (environmentally friendly); it doesnt remap the ECU to any degree, but it also doesnt provide boost spikes between shifts giving that "seat of the pants" pull on a quick shift. Bov-less can cause damage to STOCK*** (Or other ceramic wheels) turbos only because momentary spurts of energy COULD cause the exhaust wheel to blow off.
                            Again i have to say i dont entirely trust these accusations.. I've run my turbo at 15 psi for 2 years now with some spikes ramping up past 16psi without an issue.. This thing STILL has no shaft play, oil leaking or blown wheels.. So for anyone interested in a bovless application, we can say that the most you'll spike is 1psi due to our "expectations" of remaining charge pipe air pressure. If you run 14 psi, and momentarily hit 15 psi, it wont do anything bad..

Damn you Marc and your topics. No wonder everyone at work thinks I'm in another world, I'm thinkn about car stuff all day!
                            Welcome to my world SUCKA!
                            I'm working on my car when i can, and im researching what to do next every other minute of the day.. ******* winter..
                            Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I run BOV less.

My shifts building up to boost is amazing. almost instant. LOL that's with a tiny 2L and a 3071R.

Mightycarmods did a vid on HP and BOV.

No measurable difference between none, recirc and atmospheric.

/thread

Comment

Working...
                              X