Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankbolt Removal

Hey everyone

Think this will be enough to get the crankbolt off?
    I know the manual says the bolt is on @ 329 - 401 lb ft, but last time I tried to remove a crankbolt on my honda, a commercial air compressor + impact wrench didn't cut it. And yes, I used it right, maxed out the gauge to 125 psi.
    Or does anyone have any other cheaper tools? I'm guessing the battery loses power over time and therefore the gun as well so a corded tool with similar power @ similar price would be awesome. Also, I don't want to use a breaker because I don't want the bar to come crashing down and denting something on the body or in the engine bay.
    Thanks

3/4 Will work as I used a Corded version and it got mine off.
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

I made a tool out of 1/4" flat steel and a couple pieces of 3/4" square steel. Lets the socket fit in the middle and I just slip over a snipe and rest it on the ground while I pull it off with a breaker bar. this way I can torque it back on easy. It bolts right to the crank pulley. Crank pulley has 2 10mm bolt threads on it to bolt a tool to it. I hardly even try anymore with a impact. They just dont cut it. Took took 20 min';s to make out of scrap steel kicking around. I can post a pic of it on a day to show you how it was done if you want?
      ALLEN PETERSEN
      Number (604) 961-2449
      4XTOYS/ Lower Mainland Skyline Service and aftermarket RB parts.
      RB30`s for sale!

Comment

@supraclean, I can't seem to find the equivalent Milwaukee corded one? Could you give me the model #?
        @ jdms13rhd, sure that would be awesome, that would save me like 400 bucks to get new tires lol

Comment

i just used a huge ass breaker bar
          - Adam

:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Originally posted by jdms13rhd View Post
            I made a tool out of 1/4" flat steel and a couple pieces of 3/4" square steel. Lets the socket fit in the middle and I just slip over a snipe and rest it on the ground while I pull it off with a breaker bar. this way I can torque it back on easy. It bolts right to the crank pulley. Crank pulley has 2 10mm bolt threads on it to bolt a tool to it. I hardly even try anymore with a impact. They just dont cut it. Took took 20 min';s to make out of scrap steel kicking around. I can post a pic of it on a day to show you how it was done if you want?
            +1

You will need something like this to get a proper torque reading once it comes time to put it back on again. You will need to rent a torque wrench to put the bolt back in again (with all my tools even I don't have one that goes that high) so you can rent a 3/4 drive impact too. El-cheapo 1/2 drive impacts don't have the juice for stuff that tight, the best would have a tough time too. A 3/4 drive though will rip a fat kid right off the Smarty bin in the bulk section at Safeway, even the cheap ones. A 1" drive will flip your car on it's roof.......lol.

Jon.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

man, I got a 3/4 C P gun and it dont rip shi*. Had a new snap on gun and that thing hauls ass more than any other gun I've had. Its all about the rpm and torque.

I got to barrow a tq wrench that big too.
              ALLEN PETERSEN
              Number (604) 961-2449
              RB30`s for sale!

Comment

My 1/2 IR Titanium always works, Sometimes you gotta sit on it for 10-20 seconds and let off and back on really quick to get the blows but it always comes loose.

However if you don't want to spend $400 on an impact rest a break bar on the underside of D/S frame near the wheel well with a shallow socket attached then crank over the starter. This is what I used to resort to with my run down Snap On gun
                Last edited by JNS Performance; 02-16-2011, 03:01 AM.
                2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                1969 Cooper S. Restored
                1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

breaker bar works for me, then I use torque wrench to put it on.

Comment

I used a multitude of tools to create a big breaker bar. My GF's brother just put the breaker bar against the body with something between them and cranked the engine. That was on an 89 Supra though.

Comment

might be a noob question but I have to disable the ignition before I crank right?
                      oh and if you have to disable the ignition, does the starter motor have enough torque to break that bolt?
                      Last edited by albertm7; 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I'me interested, show me pics.
                        Thanks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by albertm7 View Post
                          might be a noob question but I have to disable the ignition before I crank right?
                          oh and if you have to disable the ignition, does the starter motor have enough torque to break that bolt?
                          Yeah, Disconnect your igniter and crank away. A strong starter paired with a fully charged battery should have no issues

Actually If you just take out your spark plugs the compression wont slow the starter down as well
                          Last edited by BenC; 02-17-2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

looks like shi* but it works. I've been using it for over 4 years now.

ALLEN PETERSEN
                            Number (604) 961-2449
                            RB30`s for sale!

Comment

man, I got a 3/4 C P gun and it dont rip shi*. Had a new snap on gun and that thing hauls ass more than any other gun I've had. Its all about the rpm and torque.

I got to barrow a tq wrench that big too.
                              Really, I've got cheapo Princes Auto (PowerFist) 3/4" drive and it removed a 2" bolt that a I broke a 1" breaker bar on (old and rusty). The key is to lube it up right before you use it to make the most of the air going through it.

Jon.
                              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X