Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forged Racing radiator Vs Koyo aluminum radiator (and rad shrouds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forged Racing radiator Vs Koyo aluminum radiator (and rad shrouds)

A small shootout for those who care to know. All parts are genuine and bought as new from respectable suppliers. This is not to flame anything but to inform others about the 2 product. I'm still certain about which I'll use. The koyo was bought over a year ago and took 7 months to ship so I can't send it back to a non existant company. They're both close in pric0e which is at the lower end of the performance market compared to ARC and the big boys however I'm ready to try it out in my mildly tuned car ;

Sizing.
    Both the koyo aluminum and Forged Racing Radiators have a 2" core.
    End tanks are nearly identical in shape/welds.
    Height and length are identical.
    The Koyo rad however is 2/3 of the Forged racing weight (most likely since the forged has more bars).

Fin and bars.
    The Koyo radiator has the SAME size and style of bars as the Forged racing however the Forged Radiator has 33% more bars (1 bar every 7.5mm where the Koyo has a bar every 10mm)

The Radiators both mount the same and have the same style of fittings all around.
    The Forged Radiator comes with a Rad cap unlike the koyo.

FAN SHROUDS!

Mishimoto and forged have similar designs for materials but their only 2 differences are that the Mishi fans are 10" blade type, where the Forged are 11" with a few more blades which are all attached at the ends like a frizbee I guess. No idea which flows better.

In the end, all 4 of these products appear to be the same quality with different pros and cons.

pictures Coming soon!
    Last edited by NismoS-tune; 03-12-2011, 10:02 PM.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Good review!! I was thinking about getting Mushi fan and shroud for my Koyo. So I know the issue now and it doesnt look like a hard fix. Also, Do you have any chance to fit the rad to see if there is any clearance issues?? thanks!
    10 Infiniti FX35
    09 Infiniti G37X coupe
    02 Subaru WRX....sold
    01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
    90-00-08 BNR32
    92 NX2000...sold
    95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
      Good review!! I was thinking about getting Mushi fan and shroud for my Koyo. So I know the issue now and it doesnt look like a hard fix. Also, Do you have any chance to fit the rad to see if there is any clearance issues?? thanks!
      Clearance issues between the koyo and mishi? No, looked pretty good actually, didn't have any pictures and they're boxed up now. My mishi fans and koyo will be for sale. Let me know if you wanted the mishi shroud, they were simply fitted together.
      Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

I would use stock Subaru radiator fans, as the blades are bigger -

Last edited by Skym; 03-12-2011, 03:44 AM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
          Clearance issues between the koyo and mishi? No, looked pretty good actually, didn't have any pictures and they're boxed up now. My mishi fans and koyo will be for sale. Let me know if you wanted the mishi shroud, they were simply fitted together.
          Yeah I will be interested for sure.. Let me know a price shipped to M2N 6Y7. Btw, the clearance issue I meant is between the fan and the motor. It looked like it was very tight lol.. Btw, how am I gonna wire up the fan? Any instructions come with the kit? Or I need some kinda fan controller? Let me know thanks.
          10 Infiniti FX35
          09 Infiniti G37X coupe
          02 Subaru WRX....sold
          01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
          90-00-08 BNR32
          92 NX2000...sold
          95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

Is the bracket on the mushi fan too long or short for the koyo rad? It looks like it is too short in the pic. Let me know.
            10 Infiniti FX35
            09 Infiniti G37X coupe
            02 Subaru WRX....sold
            01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
            90-00-08 BNR32
            92 NX2000...sold
            95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              Is the bracket on the mushi fan too long or short for the koyo rad? It looks like it is too short in the pic. Let me know.
              the bracket is too short. As for clearance to the engine, it's quite fine. For wiring, you can use a controller or ECU output or AC fan wiring if that's deleted.
              Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

you said the bars were every "750mm and 1000mm"... thats gotta be a typo? lol.. one bar every meter? I'd be surprised if the rads even measure one full meter long... did you mean micro meters?

symbol for micro is: "u" the greek letter "Mu"

good write up man, thanks for sharing that!
                The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Aye typo, it was late at night lol. 7.5mm and 10mm

Originally posted by archaeic_bloke View Post
                  you said the bars were every "750mm and 1000mm"... thats gotta be a typo? lol.. one bar every meter? I'd be surprised if the rads even measure one full meter long... did you mean micro meters?

symbol for micro is: "u" the greek letter "Mu"

good write up man, thanks for sharing that!
                  Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

May be a stupid question, but can you use the oem shroud and clutch fan with aftermarket radiators? Reason I ask is it seems like the clutch fan could move a lot more air.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
                      May be a stupid question, but can you use the oem shroud and clutch fan with aftermarket radiators? Reason I ask is it seems like the clutch fan could move a lot more air.
                      I know for a fact the Koyo aluminum and copper radiators work with OEM fan shroud and the Forged have the same mounts. As for the OEM moving more air then electrics, that's been the word around the streets for some time however I never found actual CFM values. I just found that the electrics worked well and looked much nicer in an engine bay.

I think Mishimoto 10" (twin?) is 1050CFM.
                      Last edited by NismoS-tune; 03-13-2011, 12:04 AM.
                      Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

The OEM clutch fan will work for sure. The OEM Shroud needs to be trimmed to fit. The OEM fan can move more air is questionable. But electric fan will surely free up some load from the motor. Also the OEM fan just sounds like a frigging vacuum cleaner once when it is spinning at full speed.
                        10 Infiniti FX35
                        09 Infiniti G37X coupe
                        02 Subaru WRX....sold
                        01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
                        90-00-08 BNR32
                        92 NX2000...sold
                        95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

I currently run a Koyo Alloy rad (Thicker than oem) with oem clutch fan, and oem fan shroud...

the fan fits fine and doesn't rub, and pulls A LOT of air... electric fans are better because its just one less thing the engine has to rotate, along with power steering, AC, etc etc... thats why electrics are good (IMO)...

as for the oem shroud... its a little trick, we had to cut the bottom 1/4 of the oem shroud off because otherwise you can't get the rad in the car with the shroud attached.. it still works great, and doesn't rub... so as long as you trim the oem shroud, it fits fine.
                          The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Ahh okay, thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

Comment

Missed 2 really important things.

The tube size on the Koyo is .8mm and on the ForgerRacing is 1.0mm so there is way more tubes and they have more frontal surface area wich doesn't sound like much but on 50 cm rad by 30 cm on the forged racing every .9cm has a tube and on the Koyo is 1.08cm. Is 55 tubes on the Forged Racing and 46 tubes on the Koyo. Using these measurements each tube on the ForgedRacing has 3 square cm of frontal area and the Koyo has 2.4 square cm. add that to the tube count. ForgedRacing 165 square cm of frontal cooling. Koyo 110.5 square cm of frontal cooling. Plus it also has that same extra size on the back as well. So massive extra surface area.

No epoxy has been used in the assembly of ForgedRacing both Brand K and Brand M use it. Epoxy is used to ensure no leaks but is an insulator Forged racing solves this problem by testing every radiator that is produced.

Not all things are equal LOL
                              Cam Koole
                              Technical Services Consultant
                              Lightspeed Innovations
                              Red Deer, Alberta
                              1-866-95-84732
                              cam@lightspeedinnovations.com
                              www.Lightspeedinnovations.com

North American EMtron Distribution
                              Whiteline Canadian Distribution Center
                              EMtron Training Center Coming Soon
                              2WD Mustang MD250