Damaged thread on rear subframe (hicas mount)..help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged thread on rear subframe (hicas mount)..help

I was re-installig my hicas lock bar when I realised it was getting really hard to tighten the bolt and I still had alot of thread left to go.I stopped and realised that the bolt was going in crooked(diagonal) and now it will only thread in like that.Whats a possible solution to fix this..

I'll be removing the subframe soon maybe I can fix it easier that way.
    My car keeps on stealing my money .

re-tap the hole, and use red locktite when you screw the bolt back in
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Wouldnt I have to redrill it to al larger hole then tap it?

Comment

get a tap thats the same size as the current threads, and reshape the damaged threads with it,
        since you'll have taken some material off, you'll need the loctite to keep it tight in there
        sigpic

Comment

no you don't, if the thread is only damaged you can trying running the tap through it by hand or a VERY slow careful drill, remember to always apply a lot of oil, take it slow and steady... the only way that situation will get worse is if you snap a hardened steel tap bit in there!

you would only re-drill a larger hole if you've really messed up the threads and need a fresh start all over, but keep in mind you'll also need the new hardware to match your enlarged hole. *thats what she said*
          The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Dj I had stripped some stuff during putting mine back together and tapped it and was good to go! Give it a try
            Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

usually, NAPA or Carquest have individual taps you can buy, you'll find what you need there
              sigpic

Comment

You can buy them separately but if you have the entire set it comes in handy if something gets stripped

Comment

yeah but even my MasterCraft set didn't have what i needed, theres almost no metric stuff in their kit
                  had to go out and buy taps and dies in m12x1,5 m10x1,25 and m10x1,5 for various needs
                  sigpic

Comment

I bought both for 20$. Princess auto special. This has served a great purpose.

Comment

I didnt tighten the bolt all the way so its probably only half of the thread which is screwed up.I was thinking if I tighten the bolt through the back part of the subframe where hopefully the thread is still straight , I could straighten out the damaged part.(the subframe is being removed for powerdercoating so ill have access to the back)

Comment

^^ that won't work since the subframe and the bolt are of the same material, so maybe you'll straighten the thread a bit but also damage the bolt which will re-damage the thread on its way out,
                        your best bet is to re-tap the threads
                        sigpic

Comment

or grab a stainless steel nut and do it. thats probably a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by archaeic_bloke View Post
                            or grab a stainless steel nut and do it. thats probably a lot cheaper.
                            a nut? how would that work?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                              a nut? how would that work?
                              LOL... I misread, I thought he was trying to fix the threads on a bolt... not the other way around.
                              toss out the bolt and get a new one if its damaged, theres no real fixing that and it will just be a problem in the future.
                              as for the threads on the place where the bolt goes in.... use a tap for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X