Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car wont start, electrical problem maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car wont start, electrical problem maybe?

ok so one day i drove my car to a car meet. car started perfect as always, then drove back to my friends house, and again no problem. i was their for a few hours. then i go to leave and go home, and battery is dead, my alarm cant even unlock the doors.

so i leave it their and i come back in the morning and jump start it and everything is good, then i leave to go shopping and get back, nothing. no power at all. as if the battery didnt charge. i had to jump start the car 4 times that day, and the last time it wouldnt start with another car and jumper cables.

found out that the main fuse is blown. 75a. so i go get another one put it in jump start it same way, and bam! fuse blows instantly. then i check the battery and its only reading 6 volts of power so its busted, put a brand new battery and still doesnt work. but atleast the car is recieving power but it wont turn over.

the starter makes the normal sound for like a second then nothing, its like its getting shut off. their might be another short. and it shouldnt be the alternator because thats not what helps the car to start only to keep charging the battery. so any ideas??

please someone help me out if possible.
    89 r32 sedan

Have you tried taking it to a shop?
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Electrical issues are the absolute worst.. Unfortunately any info we give you here is simply part of a check list you'll need to make and go through to resolve the issue..

First, check to see if the alternator is producing any current when the car is running.
      Second, make sure the alternator grounds are okay.
      Third, what type of alarm? It's very common for alarms to drain battery power, even more so if they're made by Viper. Try disconnecting your alarm and see if the charge holds.
      Fourth, have you done anything electrical related in the last week? If so check for shorts. Shorts aren't common and it's rare to trace an issue to a short unless you've been mucking around in the wiring harness.. But it's worth a shot.

That's about all I can think of. There isn't anything on our cars that draws a substantial amount of power to warrant a continuously drained battery, especially one that's new...
      So start with the alternator..
      Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
      www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
      Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
      Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

well i put a new battery and a new fuse and nothing, car wont start. and also i cant check the alternator till i get the car running. and i havnt brought it to a shop. i dont have anything to toe the car legally with. like if i get pulled over, id be screwed. and i am in touch with a shop, and they will try and help me out. my dad thought he saw a spark close to the firewall the last time i get it jumped. which in mind is around where the coil pack is. (not sure if thats what u call it) the little plastic box on top of the valve cover im guessing is what sends signal to the spark plugs. so maybe that got fried too. not sure.
        89 r32 sedan

Comment

That's the ignitor.
          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Is it cranking over since you put the new battery and fuse in?
            sigpic

Comment

can do a simple alternator test with multimeter, no need for shop for that.
              - Adam

:
              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

no its not cranking over. the only thing that happened is that the doors unlocked because it finally had power. but when i turn the key it would just do a click sound once. it wouldnt try to turn over or anything. just every time i turn the key forward it would click. so as if its trying. maybe started is busted?

and how do i test the alternator without the car turning on?
                89 r32 sedan

Comment

I suggest a CAA membership 4 free tows a year.
                  1993 GTR
                  1992 GTS-T Type - M (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by magular View Post
                    no its not cranking over. the only thing that happened is that the doors unlocked because it finally had power. but when i turn the key it would just do a click sound once. it wouldnt try to turn over or anything. just every time i turn the key forward it would click. so as if its trying. maybe started is busted?

and how do i test the alternator without the car turning on?
                    Sounds like a busted starter to me
                    1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
                    Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

^+1

I'd agree. Drained battery + popping ignition fuses + clicking noises and no spin = F'd starter.
                      Originally posted by Snow
                      Sure a condom holds water but you don't see me drinking from one.

Comment

If you push start it and it works, then it's the starter. Just make sure your battery is good and your fuses are also good before trying it.

If it's the alternator, you should have noticed it. The car wouldn't have ran for long on battery power (lights dim and car eventually shuts off while driving) and normally the battery light will come on it your dash too.
                        Last edited by DarkCaporaL; 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM.
                        R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                        http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

if it is a starter where can i get another? is their a matching nissan sold in canada that i can the part from? price range ideas? but if the started was busted could that technically blow the fuse? this just friken sucks. having my dream car parked in front of my house not working for over a week now and still not sure of whats going on. all you guys must know how much it sucks not having a car. anyways i appreciate the help provided.
                          89 r32 sedan

Comment

alright well i tried jump starting it and didnt work but i do think the alternator is busted because it did shut off while driving...

so sounds like both? and need a new battery. so if i do all 3 should be a pretty decent chance of fixing this issue. right?
                            89 r32 sedan

Comment

ok so i got the alternator tested today and the guy said theirs nothing wrong with it... i wish their was so i could start fixing ****. annyways if its just a short in the wires ill never find it. i think ill just have to get it to the shop to get it looked at. sucks i cant fix it.
                              89 r32 sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X