No announcement yet.

stuttering when cold ? fine when warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta love it. Is it like this for the stock ecu? Or only aftermarket?

Comment

how severe is this issue? maybe im picturing something more severe then what u guys are experiencing?... I envision the full on clutch shuffle dance kinda thing, or is it more subtle?
      The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

it's pretty noticeable, but not undrivable lol. Just don't take it over 4000 until thermostat opens, and car's drivability changes completely.

Comment

It's like the ultimate turbo lag - intermittent, then disappears..
          Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
          www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
          Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
          Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

My HCR does the same thing. I didnt think anything was wrong with our cars, just thought it was like that so umptards like us dont put too much load on a cold engine. When i pull mine out of storage Ill do a log with Nistune right from cold and we will really see whats up.

My TSI AWD would run the same way when cold. Not that we can really compare the two.

I would say its not that severe but just enough to let you know thats your engines not happy and is holding back.
            Last edited by beacher1B0; 04-30-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Nistune won't tell you per se. You can only physically view and manipulate the cold start timing and fuel maps, can't log them. It'll come up as fuel and timing regardless.
              Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
              www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
              Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
              Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Nelson is correct, there's a warmup ignition timing table stock ECU uses up until coolant temp reaches around 65 degrees that pulls ignition timing alot to protect engine. If above 3000rpm or load goes above a certain value, this table should be ignored and ECU uses ignition map. I always warm engine up before driving, so don't encounter the problem related to this table.

Sometimes stuttering can be due too airleak behind MAF, as it gets 2x airsources instead of one (intake hose clamp on MAF is loose or cuts inbetween ribs on rubber intake piping or under intake hose clamp, etc). It happens mainly when exiting motorway (from my experience) and goes away with throttle (sounds, feels similar to failed coilpacks).
                Last edited by Skym; 05-01-2011, 02:41 AM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

A/M ecu's have the same feature built in to ? or just the stock ones ?

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
                    Nistune won't tell you per se. You can only physically view and manipulate the cold start timing and fuel maps, can't log them. It'll come up as fuel and timing regardless.
                    Ahh, learned something 2day.
                    Forgive me, Im still a Nistune newbie.

And 99.9% I dont boost car cold and 80% dont drive it till warm, I love my HCR. But it does act just like Skym describes. Can feel the timing pull back till after 3000 rpm or so.
                    Last edited by beacher1B0; 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I used to have that problem too when the engine was cold, specifically when the turbos were cold. At the time I was also experiencing sputtering/popping at 5k-6k RPMs, I tried checking all the coils, electrical taped the coils, and I gapped my spark plugs closer, and my high RPM sputtering disappeared, also along side with that, the heavy hesitation at cold start was gone too. I can feel the motor vibrate a bit as I get near boost when cold, but its definitely alot better.
                      1990 R32.3 GTR

Comment

Coolant temperature sensor after the thermostat generates a signal, Boom.Car knows it's open.

Fancy thermocouples damn!

Comment

andy66, only noticed that table on stock ECU. Aftermarket ECU tuning software I've looked at doesn't seem to have this table. I think Link, ViPEC ECU's have the raising revlimiter thing like I think that BMW? has on one of their cars. With the dash + raising revlimiter, has red bars or similar on rev counter that turn off as engine warmsup, so tells you how far you can rev engine.
                          Last edited by Skym; 05-01-2011, 03:00 AM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                          X