Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burning oil at idle, but not driving. Questions need answers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning oil at idle, but not driving. Questions need answers!

Hey guys. I have a 92 R32 with 113xxxkm on it. I'm having issues with it burning oil at idle. When the car is moving you cant notice anything but sometimes at a long stoplight or when I leave it idle to warm up I get smoke out the tailpipe. After you drive away, it goes away.

I'm thinking exhaust side gasket or a valve issue. I doubt its the turbo seals because the smoke goes away after you start moving. I need to know what it is and buy parts ASAP to get my girl in working order again.

If you do indeed know what it is and know where I can find parts, let me know. I'm located in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Thanks in advance.

I'd start with a dry and then wet compression test.
    <video>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tbksFYhl4

You can get parts from your local nissan dealership, with the correct part#
    Last edited by clone; 05-07-2011, 06:18 PM.
    1993 GTR
    1992 GTS-T Type - M (Sold)

Comment

I'll try that in the next few days. Praying its not a piston problem.

Comment

I had that with an engine that had old hardened valve seals , oil seeps down the guides while idling and creates a blue haze and a puff of blue when you pull away. Replaced the valve seals and it went away.

Comment

Do you know where I can find valve seals? I've done a bit of looking and I cant seem to find any.

Comment

What engine do you have, A JDM VIN would help too. I can look it up on Nissan Fast(parts software) then you can get it from your local dealer.

My RB20Det
            valve seal 13207-84a00 or 13207-d4201
            Last edited by clone; 05-07-2011, 09:31 PM.
            1993 GTR

Comment

RB26DETT I can get you a VIN tomorrow. If you can get me a parts number it would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Seal-oil,Valve Nissan Part#13207-d0100
                I don't need the vin only one part#

alt.no 13207-53f00(I am not sure what this is)
                Last edited by clone; 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM.
                1993 GTR

Comment

Perfect thanks man. I'll order those Monday and let you guys know what happens. Thanks a lot

Comment

hey don't order them

I happen to have a full set of RB26DETT Valve seals that are still in packaging from a nissan gasket kit i ordered. I didn't open the head so therefore didn't need them.

anyone know what they cost at the dealer? I'll make you a deal and ship them out to you monday, you should have them by friday... send me a PM and ill get you some pics if you like.

cheers,
                    The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

valve seals is a sunday afternoon job , i estimate it would take about 4 1/2 beers .

you can buy a tool to do this without removing head , and you attach a compressed air hose to a fitting that goes into the spark plug hole so that the air keeps the valve in place when refitting the spring . Just make sure the piston is at or near TDC when doing this so you dont drop a valve. I'm not sure if these is enough room in the combustion chamber for the valve to completely fall in but it sucks if it does because then you have to pull the head off ..

Comment

PM'd you dude. Do yo know where I can get one of these tools? I want to get this done ASAP.

Comment

look at one of these :-

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1239&bih=907

should be able to order one through partsource or NAPA .

The shop had one back when i was a mechanic in England but i don't posses one now.

The air adapter for a spark plug hole - find out what size the sparkplug is ( or take one with you ) and ask for one when you order the valve tool ..

btw i didnt get your pm

Comment

Awesome I'll try NAPA first and see what I can come up with. Also do you know a reliable website I can get a complete gasket set from? Should probably replace those if I do indeed take the head off.

Comment

My advice is do the valve stem seals first , once you get into taking the head off you might as well pull the engine , which means you might as well refresh it while it's out . Removing the head means removing the turbos , manifolds , intake etc.

This is one of those times where you have to decide what end result you want . If you want to replace the seals to see if that fixes your smoke puff. Or if your prepared to see how far the habbit hole goes. If you take the head off your bound to find things to justify a refreshed engine. I'd save that for winter

If you want a full gasket set Id grab a nissan one from a nissan dealer (brantford nissan is very familiar with skylines and have all the conversion charts for part numbers and disks ) . Or grab a Tomei set from rightdrive and get daryl to ship it out to you!.

Comment

Working...
                              X