Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boost issue

1990 gtst

Just recently replaced my timing belt, timed it properly (read many tutorials, timed it how they said to) i also replaced my a/c, alternator, and p/s belts. tightened everything up nicely, replaced the coolant. Anyways, after i got everything back together the car took a while to start again. I was working on it for about 8 hours with the front sitting on blocks, the car definitely did not sound right when i started turning it over, the engine was making a completely different sound so i stopped. Called a mechanic and he said check my belts i might of over tightened them so i did, loosened them all a bit then re-tightened them how he said to. Car still didn't sound right. Called him back, he said keep trying, if it doesn't fire up then somethings wrong. After about couple tries the car did start, it wouldn't idle by itself at first but it eventually did get idling and sounded fine. Shut it off and it fired right back up and everything sounded normal. Anyways its been 2 days now and i finally decided to hit some boost with it. Before the engine was at operating temp it felt like i hit a puddle of water, the front dipped and it lost speed. The car would not go over 3500 rpm for a minute then eventually very slowly climbed. After the car hit operating temp it was better, when the turbo spooled up it felt like i hit a puddle for a second then the car would accelerate but i couldn't feel the turbo pull like it used to. it felt like the turbo was doing absolutely nothing.

I have checked for leaks with a torch, my plugs are gapped at .8 (running 12 psi), my boost gauge hits 12 psi and stays there even when the car is doing this (no drops), cleaned my MAF, checked all my plugs, have fairly new splitfire coilpacks.

Did i time it wrong? or is there some other issue. Would the car even start if i timed it wrong? Also my BOV is releasing to atmosphere, the car was boosting fine with the old timing belt though so i dont see why a new timing belt would change that.

Sorry for the long thread, thought the more info i gave the better responses ill get.
    Last edited by evolution23; 05-23-2011, 03:27 PM.
    1989 GTR - summer toy
    2011 Ram - winter beater

Sounds like a timing issue
    03 lancer dead
    68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
    05 chevy silverado L33
    2010 crv Wife's ride
    1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Originally posted by GTRADDICT View Post
      Sounds like a timing issue
      thats what im thinking... i spent so long making sure i timed it right and in the end, i think i did it wrong. i need the car all week for work, next time i have a chance to do anything is on saturday... Am i going to wreck anything if i keep driving the car, or could i of already wrecked something....
      1989 GTR - summer toy
      2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

if it wasnt timed correctly i wouldnt drive it to be safe
        Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo_line View Post
          if it wasnt timed correctly i wouldnt drive it to be safe
          Well thats the thing, i was positive i had it timed perfectly.. How can i tell if its timed right or not? I do not have access to a timing light, might be able to go to the shop tomorrow. But also, i need the car as transportation for work so currently, i have no choice but to drive it because i live out of town.. No other mode of transportation.
          1989 GTR - summer toy
          2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

Hey did you remember to reconnect the charcoal canister and I think he ment you have the timing belt too tight

Comment

^ if the charcoal canister was not installed would it make the car run like this?
              Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Could it's a vacuum leak check timing with a light off the first coil with tps unplugged or off the loop at the rear of the head if you have too

Comment

Ok great thanks.
                  Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Also sounds like your fuel has lost octane fresh high test and a small amount of methanol or gas line anti freeze

Comment

im running 94 octane, car only sat for 8 hours while i changed the belt. i pulled rad, fan shroud, fan, loosened a/c tensioner, pulled belt, loosened p/s tensioner, pulled belt, loosened alternator tensioner and pulled belt. then pulled the harmonic ballancer, took off the covers and the sensor on the top cover then swapped the belt. As i was pulling the old belt it jumped a tooth (or 2 or 3) so i had to go online and figure out how to re-allign the timing, i alligned everything up as i had read, spent a long time doing this so i didnt mess up, turned it over by hand to feel for clashing etc.. felt nothing. then went and put everything back together. tightened all the belts to a decent tightness. Car took a bit but did fire up. did not sound normal when first cranking it? Had the car still on the blocks but that shouldnt of made a difference. it runs fine, still running rich. its only when i hit boost that the front of the car dips down and the car feels like its been restrained. i have checked every hose i can, the car holds 12psi (on gauge) and the turbo sounds fine, but it just wont go when i hit boost.
                      1989 GTR - summer toy
                      2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

Your sure you rotated the crank 2 times for ever one time you rotated the cams

Comment

Alright guys sorry i feel like a complete idiot. The exhaust cam sensor that bolts onto the timing belt cover wasnt adjusted right.. i completely overlooked it when reassembling the car. popped the hood today, stared blankly at it and then i finally clued in.... lol Car is running great now! thanks for trying to help me out with this!
                          1989 GTR - summer toy
                          2011 Ram - winter beater

Comment

Good to know! Could you describe what happened for future reference!
                            03 lancer dead
                            68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
                            05 chevy silverado L33
                            2010 crv Wife's ride
                            1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Originally posted by GTRADDICT View Post
                              Good to know! Could you describe what happened for future reference!
                              He probably undid the CAS bolts and didn't mark the timing when he put it back on, resulting in running a really wacky timing.
                              1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Working...
                              X