Tomei Pro Cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomei Pro Cams?

Just tinkering with ideas on a mild engine build for my GTsT. I've put alot of work into her so far involving restoration and tune up/ maintenance. Now i think shes finally ready for a bit of extra power. I found an add on a local Kijiji, dudes selling 270 degrees with 9.25 lift Exhaust, And 260 and 9.25 intake Tomei Pro Cams for RB20/25 brand new in box i might add... This being my first time going inside any motor of any car i've had, was wondering if anyone has done or used these before? Is it a decent or good upgrade? I'm knowledgeable in some aspects of tuning but i'm not going to pretend i know anything about cam upgrades or what supporting mods i'll need.

The route i want to take here is Cam upgrade, Ball Bearing turbo upgrade and a AM ECU and Dynotune... If i get these cams are they pretty much drop in or will i have to upgrade springs and rockers?

Any help or knowledge would be appreciated Thanks
    You gotta pay to play.

i belive the pro cams are the ones that do NOT work with the stock valve train/gears. but the pon cams are able to be used with stock valves/ecu/gears.

might have that^ the wrong way around..if so your golden
    - Adam

:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Yeah i'm searching for any info on this cause it's a good deal he's offering, but i don't want to buy just to learn that they don't drop right in and or have my motor open and then have to order more shyte to make it work. Like, 272 Cams seem to be the most aggressive one can go on most stock top end builds from what i've been seeing/ reading... but i'm still scratching my head on this one.
      You gotta pay to play.

Comment

Pro cams need slot of head work to make happen. You my man are looking for pon cams. Pon cams will drop right in and work well. The highest pon cam duration I believe is 264 or something in that range. Pro cams you were looking at were prolly for 500$.... There is a reason I have bought them yet
        Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

yup those are the ones, reading up on a few builds, seems these Pro Cams need the adj cam gears and don't really deliver on low end, in fact make the low end worse than what it already is (i didn't think that was possible)... which sucks cause i'm looking/ hoping to reach for more bottom end torque... thanks for the insight
          Last edited by Ghost; 05-30-2011, 08:34 PM.
          You gotta pay to play.

Comment

you will need to change your cam followers because of hhe base circle being smaller. tomei's are 4mm thick and need oem 10mm shims or you can use supertech cf31/3.78mm with there 8mm shims.

Comment

if its a daily, go with pon cams. if its a track , go with pro cams. keep in mind with pro cams youll have to replace your lifters and springs with solid ones as to where with poncams they are drop in
              FWD = Fukin Wont Drift

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                yup those are the ones, reading up on a few builds, seems these Pro Cams need the adj cam gears and don't really deliver on low end, in fact make the low end worse than what it already is (i didn't think that was possible)... which sucks cause i'm looking/ hoping to reach for more bottom end torque... thanks for the insight
                if you want bottom end, tomei pon cams with adj cam gears and advanced timing would be the key, also keep the stock turbo size
                FWD = Fukin Wont Drift

Comment

Originally posted by cschepp View Post
                  Pro cams need slot of head work to make happen. You my man are looking for pon cams. Pon cams will drop right in and work well. The highest pon cam duration I believe is 264 or something in that range. Pro cams you were looking at were prolly for 500$.... There is a reason I have bought them yet
                  + 1.

yes, its a 264 intake and exhaust. the possible highest degree you can safely go without smashing stock something or others
                  FWD = Fukin Wont Drift

Comment

Cam specs are worked out based on turbo, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, head flow, application, etc.

Here's where a cam manufacturer asks those questions -

Poncams (RB20DET) work best with stock intake manifold, stock exhaust manifold and small turbo upgrade (as found on Tomei crate engines).

Some tuners in Japan sell a bolt on turbo kit with cams, exhaust manifold, turbo, exhaust, intake, FMIC, etc. It's all matched to work together as a package. But it's more interesting making your own package that you think is best, as learn alot in the process.
                    Last edited by Skym; 06-05-2011, 08:23 AM.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I went with pon cams.

got:
                      nismo intake plenum.
                      HKS type R 4" intercooler
                      Full HKS hardpipes from filters to plenum.
                      over ported -5 turbos.
                      overported tomei manifolds
                      overported tomei outlets
                      nismo downpipe
                      ported head and other stuff there.
                      1mm overbore.

this is still mild and poncams are fine for me. Lots of bottom end.
                      No build thread.
                      1991 nissan
                      El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Working...
                      X