Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I start with my built up rb20det swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start with my built up rb20det swap?

Hey everyone and anyone, I have an 89 gtst type m and It had 140xxx km, so I bought a built up motor with 60xxx km on it. It is also an rb20. I am swapping the engine and tranny out and have no idea where to start right now. Any advice??

Welcome to Gtrcanada
    What exactly was done to this motor? Do you have a list of modifications?

Since you're removing one motor and replacing it with a similar one the wiring harnesses will remain the same as well as many other parts. Not exactly sure what kind of information you're looking for?

A list of mods would be nice to see, as well as your goals and detailed questions
    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by MKIV View Post
      Welcome to Gtrcanada
      What exactly was done to this motor? Do you have a list of modifications?

Since you're removing one motor and replacing it with a similar one the wiring harnesses will remain the same as well as many other parts. Not exactly sure what kind of information you're looking for?

A list of mods would be nice to see, as well as your goals and detailed questions
      Hey thanks for replying! Ummm this engine has aftermarket coilpacks, 600cc injectors, rb25 turbo, rb25 tranny, and a bore. Ummm I bought it off of an aquaintence of mine so I'm not sure exactly on the parts. Mmm new to the skyline world so it is a little tough, and I may be fairly vague. Thanks for your help!

Comment

OH and an aftermarket ecu

Comment

I apologize for being a pest but I'm just trying to set myself up efpre I start ripping my car apart

Comment

You're not being a pest, you have valid questions.

I assume you want to know where to begin in ripping out your old drivetrain?

Please be specific!
            1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

What's your plans for the car? Grip/drift/drag/daily/ time attack?

How much Hp or Rwhp would you like?
              Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

If you mean where to begin like how to swap it out? Im sure there is a full detailed write up with pics on here if not the more popular AusSkyline. If not, the process is generally the same with all cars.

You will need an engine lift stand than can hold 700 lbs minimum (iirc it weighs 664 lbs complete engine, transmission, harness, turbo, manifolds), a creeper dolly, a screwdriver, a few different sized ratchets and possibly a sawzall or torch if the exhaust system is welded.

Unbolt your hood, Drain your fluids (oil , tranny, petrol, radiator), unhook the electronics (battery, wire hireness, etc), remove the hoses (radiator and ****), unbolt or cut the exhaust off, unbolt the transmission crossmember and have a reliable dolly underneith (handle excess of 300 lbs), unbolt the motor, pull it forward slowly until you got enough clearence for the transmission to get out of the tranny tunnel. lift up and out. b00m.

If its your first engine swap you should really get a manual or ask for help from other members because it could cause a **** storm to blindly attempt a DIY swap without experience.
                Last edited by Xeno-Vibe; 12-20-2011, 06:48 AM.
                Double track drift, yo.
                http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5228.gif

(oo sκylιnε oo)

Comment

Working...
                X